It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any tips on estimating weight?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
The other day I was coming out of the 7-11 and noticed one of those height charts they have right next to the door so when they are robbed a clerk can give the cops a better estimate on the perp's height.

It got me thinking that most of us are probably pretty adept at guessing how tall someone is because we have so much experience doing it. Then I was thinking about all of the Bigfoot reports I have read where the witness estimates the weight of the animal they saw. I realized I have many times guestimated how tall someone/something was but can't remember the last time I guessed at a large object's weight and had my guess proved or disproved. I think I would be pretty bad at estimating.

So, any tips on trying to estimate weight from a visual encounter?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I think the best way to guestimate ones weight is to take the factors of height, frame type, build and if possible amount of muscle mass because muscle weighs more than fat. I don't think there is actually any fool proof way though.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
To do good guesses, you first have to memorize the weight ranges of some reference species. Learn how much a small, an average sized and a large specimen of some reference species weighs. Also memorize other facts. For example: Heavier birds will have a lower wing beat frequency than smaller, but similar build birds. So an assessment of the wing beat frequency will also allow you to estimate the size of a high flying bird. This will help you to determine the species, without the need of a reference object. The more you go out and watch animals, the better your guesses will become.

edit on 9-9-2010 by Drunkenshrew because: typo

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by angrywhitechick

This is a really tough issue and something that I dont think people are very good at. That height chart next to the door at 7-11 is there for a very specific reason...people are terrible at guessing height at almost any distance and that measuring tool helps immensely. While we may be decent at guessing height when someone is standing right next to us, once they move away it becomes very difficult unless you have some reference point.

Weight is an even trickier issue. Height and body shape have something to do with it but the problem is determining a muscle to fat ratio. As a previous poster listed muscle weights more than fat. People regularly guess my weight wrong because my body fat is fairly low and I have a decent amount of muscle, so my weight is usually guessed under by 20-40lbs.

If this thread is in reference to guessing the weight of a bigfoot type creature, I would look at photos and specs for body builders. Most wild animals have lower body fat so using a body builder for reference is a good idea.

Here is an example: Bodybuilder John Hansen

This guy is 5'8 and weighs 210 when competing(which means close to 0% body fat). If you start to scale this ratio of height to weight up, you can better guess how a creature of a certain height will weight. Another good scale is Shaq, that guy in his prime was 7'2" and about 320lbs and he was pretty ripped. A creature that was 12" taller than that with larger and denser bones could easily top 400lbs and look lean and muscular.

I am of course completely speculating and making guesses about a mythical creature so its difficult to have any facts when it comes to this issue.

But again the biggest problem is just guessing height in general. Unless you have a reference point on a stationary object and know the distance the creature was from this object, you will have a tough time guess its height.

Good Luck

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
These were all very helpful replies.

I never would have thought about the difference muscle mass would make. Looking at and learning referential weights is a good idea, too.

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

I like the Shaq example a lot.
I saw one and didn't know how to guess his weight. You have a really good formula.

Height was 8 foot 4 inches, to 8 foot 8 inches.
Probably 5% body fat.
Shoulders over three and a half foot wide.
Tapered to the waist of 2.5 to 3 foot wide.

What do you figure he would weigh?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tribble
reply to post by iamcamouflage

I like the Shaq example a lot.
I saw one and didn't know how to guess his weight. You have a really good formula.

Height was 8 foot 4 inches, to 8 foot 8 inches.
Probably 5% body fat.
Shoulders over three and a half foot wide.
Tapered to the waist of 2.5 to 3 foot wide.

What do you figure he would weigh?

Well if I were to base it off the Shaq example, I would not be surprised if something this size could weigh close to 500lbs. Whatever you saw was 1-1.5ft taller than shaq and with 3.5ft shoulders it was also much larger all over. If this creature had low body fat, it is not impossible for it to be close to 500lbs.

Again, I'm just speculating as I didnt see the creature you saw and I'm using very unscientific estimates. But simply based on scaling up a known human who is very large, can probably give you a good ballpark estimate.

top topics

join