It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

INTERPOL issues global alert for increased terror threat if Koran burning in US goes ahead as planne

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead

You don't see the difference between threatening to burn down a building and burning books?

Not when the consequences are the same.

To some, the Koran is just a book, to billions of others it is not just a book.

Look at the demonstrations worldwide already, and threats of retaliation. Thats before anything has happend.

All i meant by my post was that i cannot understand why one potential crime with a horrible outcome can be treated so differently as another.

Does that make sense?

Example. You get caught with lots of chemicals stockpiled in your home, you state you are going to use it to cause many deaths. You WOULD be taken in for this, no doubt whatsoever. Now replace those chemicals with the threat of burning something so sacred that it can cause as much, if not more carnage.

Should the authorities just sit by and do nothing?

I appreciate it's open for abuse, but anyone else would have been called a potential terrorist by now.

CX.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

But there is also the difference of whose property it is. If he is burning somebody else's property, liek if he broke into a Mosque and stole their books to burn them, then we have a different issue. Burning a building that isnt yours is very different from burning books that are your property.

He cant be held responsible for the actions of those who do not like his book burning.

Have you seen Minority Report? I think you should. It might make you change your mind about arresting people before a crime has actually been committed... especially when the action wasn't criminal in the first place. Is political correctness getting to the point where insulting somebody can land you in jail? I suppose so. Preachers get arrested for preaching against homosexuality in some places, I guess we should get arrested for disagreeing with Islam as well.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
The general rule is : Never back down for threats or terrorism..

I didn't care but now I do.

I hope he burns the damn thing and roasts marshmellows over the fire.
It's just a freak'n book .. a manifesto by a nut who faked religious revelations in order to gain power.
And the people that follow the cult don't care enough to actually look at the reality of it's origins.
If an American, on American soil, wants to burn a book then go ahead and burn the freak'n thing.
Let's all see what 'the religion of peace' does. Put the cards on the table. Let the truth come out.

At first I thought this is just like that 'culture center' in NYC - that both can happen because it's the law of the land, but that neither should happen in order for us all to get along. But this Islamic lordship over the world, the continual 'religion of peace' threats, and it's blatant hypocrisy is irksome and, more importantly, tiring.

Quit playing games.
Either shut up or burn the damn thing and get it over with.

edit on 9/10/2010 by FlyersFan because: added a word

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Look at the demonstrations worldwide already, and threats of retaliation.

And it's only going to get worse until someone wakes those idiots up to the fact that their prophet was a fraud. It's only going to get worse until the world drags the muslims over there (kicking and screaming) into understanding that this is the year 2010 and they have to learn to get along with others better .. play nice .. kindergarden rules in a crowded planet. There is NO EXCUSE for them to threaten violence because a person here wants to burn a book. NO EXCUSE. And it's hypocrisy .. they burn bibles, crosses, rosaries all the time .. they blow up statues from other faiths ...

To bowing to the demands of any of them

CX

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Mykahel

Fair enough, i see your point.

I think they should have just not given him the air time, and allowed him to go join Fred Phelps and his crew.

CX.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
Well it worked. Terrorist threats obviously can control what Americans do.

The world has been running scared of 'the religion of peace' for a long time now.
CNN - US Millitary burns bibles in fear of muslim reaction

CX

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Agreed.

This is just another time where we are privvy to an example why the world would be better off without made up gods and religons.

Sorry if that offends anyone, we all have our own opinions but i don't knock anyone for theirs. It would just be so quiet without all this fighting over what boils down to stories.

CX.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Why is this even sNewZe?

It's a book. Paper and Ink. It's perceived "value", "worth" and "sanctity" are Not in the paper, pages or ink ... They're in the words, teaching and beliefs therein. Burning a/the book does Nothing with regards harming or destroying those words, teachings and beliefs ... Nor should have or hold any sort of perceived harm with regards the religion. :shk:

If it were some worker on a construction site, some soapbox sermoner in the park, or some random guy on a street corner, would this even be considered or deemed worthy a media mention? Likely not, But ... sNewZe sells.

The irony being a pastor @ The Dove World Outreach Center burning a copy of another religion's doctrine.
Yeah. that's World Outreach for ya.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
so it is alright for them to burn our flag, and any other form freedom and belief we hold dear to us. but when we do it to them they want to act with terrorizim as a retaliation.

i say torch the books, i'm a God fearing man let them start trouble because they will not like the end result.this what want any way volience i say let get this party started so people can get back life the way it was intended instead of in fear. the time being scared and time for tolerance is or we see where tolerance has gotten us no where.

just my 2 cent and God bless all us infidels

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Where were all these 1st amendment "freedom fighters" when people were getting beat up and expelled from shopping centers and schools for wearing antiwar tshirts during the Bush administration? I guess only hate speech is protected. It was unamerican and "aiding the enemy" before NOW it's your constitutional right. Some hypocrites just make me sick.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
people were getting beat up and expelled from shopping centers and schools for wearing antiwar tshirts during the Bush administration?

Got any links to that? Here are some links for people who are getting beat up and expelled for wearing anti-Obama tshirts and suspended for wearing pro-usa t-shirts (the American flag)

Boutique Owner Assaulted over Anti-Obama T Shirt
11 year old suspended from public school for anti-obama t shirt
4 S.F. students kicked out of school for wearing American Flag t-shirts

My daughter had one teacher that constantly preached Obama ... and if anyone even dared to question her, that student would be picked on and harrassed .... I"m sure that my daughters school isn't the only place to have kids experience that kind of harrassment.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
Why is this even sNewZe?

If people had ignored the idiot none of is would be happening. The attention gave him power. Power to get the POTUS involved. Power to get INTERPOL involved.
It's so freak'n stupid. If they had ignored him it all would be over and done with. Now it's a freak'n big deal to the yahoos who just want any excuse to rampage.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Ridiculous. A pastor with a flock less than 50 now has the attention of the President, General Petraeus, the entire Muslim world, and every news outlet in the West. A month ago he would have had trouble attracting the attention of his own neighbors, but today the entire world hinges on "will he or won't he."

I am entirely disgusted.

I have to wonder who is really to blame though? He could have had his little book-burning and nobody would have cared until the Nationwide press took up the cause and began to make it an attention grabbing story. The press said, "Oh, here is a way to make headlines, sell stories, and make a buck!"

After the press did their typical evil deeds, then our attention whore politicians said, "Oh, here is a way to make headlines, sell myself, and make a political statement in an election year!" Then they did their typical evil deed, and instead of telling the press to leave it alone, or saying, "Do whatever you want, nobody cares." Instead they took sides and they elevated the importance of the whole issue. Gen. Petraeus even said that this preacher was endangering troops? Really? Is this preacher what Gen. Petraeus should be concentrating on to protect troops?

The whole thing is sickening, and it is times like this that make me wish I had a little more power and influence in the world, so I could put the smack on everyone involved!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

So, where was Interpol when Muslims didn;t just threaten, but actually DID destroy Bibles and other Christian religious symbols?

Muslims have ransacked, burned and looted a Catholic school and convent in Gaza.. Crosses were broken, a statue of Jesus was damaged, and prayer books were burned.
Gunmen used the roof of the school during the fighting, and the convent was "desecrated," according to the community’s pastor.
Father Musalam additionally told The Jerusalem Post that the Muslim gunmen used rocket-propeled grenades (RPGs) to blow through the doors of the church and school, before burning Bibles and destroying every cross they could get their hands on.

www.associatedcontent.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
UPDATE

A woman that works with me lives in Gainesville. Her husband just called to see if she knows that is going on. Apparently there are many helicopters over the city, some military, some civilian by the looks of it.

Their house is about 5 miles from the church, it is for sale, and the Realtor told them that they will not be showing any real estate in the neighborhood over the weekend, and went on to ask them where they were going for the weekend. They said nowhere and the Realtor was stunned. From the sound of it most people within about 5 miles of this Gainesville church are planning to evacuate for the weekend.

I Googled it and I didn't find any news reports of helicopters of Gainesville, but she just got off the phone with her husband. Anybody reading twitter?

edit on 10-9-2010 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mykahel
reply to post by oozyism

This isn't just about us occupying other countries (something I agree is wrong and we need to end). This is about a violent group of people basing their actions on an extreme understanding of their faith threatening global violence if one man would act on his right to free speech and burn a book. As a Christian I understand the Quran does not equate to the Bible in their eyes. They hold the quran in a similar position as Christians do Jesus Christ. This man burning qurans would be like Muslims burning an effigy of Jesus, which they wouldnt do since they revere him as a prophet. They do however burn down churches and massacre innocent Christians left and right.

This is about a violent religion showing it's true colors, and the world acting surprised about it and blaming one man who is speaking against something he finds evil, even if I do disagree with the way he is going about doing it.

Have you been in prison? If an innocent person ends up in prison, extreme conditions will make him extreme in every way.

That above is very similar to Muslim world, the extremism was given birth when Western backed puppets tortured excessively those with opinions, so they became extremists and turned to the same violence they were against in the first place.

Once again, extreme conditions will lead you to extremism.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

No, I've not been in prison (at least not as one required to stick around). I understand your post, as it is similar to the situation of education. Since we cannot educate people properly, we lead them to a path where it is acceptable and even encouraged to become dependent on the state for everything and to rob/steal in order to survive. BUT....

Extreme Islam has existed far longer than the West was ever an influence. It was extreme from the beginning, and that's where it finds its roots. It's at worst a manipulative lie and at best the result of ignorance to claim that the West is the sole force behind why militant Islam is so extreme and violent. I would say that it would be more accurate to say that the behavior that was already programmed into them was at the least encouraged by the foul leadership of the west.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
you know the worst part of all this?

If the burning goes through, and innocent people die, everyone is going to blame the guy who burned the book...not the idiot muslims that pulled the trigger.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Mykahel

Extreme Islam has existed far longer than the West was ever an influence. It was extreme from the beginning, and that's where it finds its roots. It's at worst a manipulative lie and at best the result of ignorance to claim that the West is the sole force behind why militant Islam is so extreme and violent. I would say that it would be more accurate to say that the behavior that was already programmed into them was at the least encouraged by the foul leadership of the west.

What extreme Islam are we talking about here? If you could clarify on that specific extreme Islam you are talking about then I can lay my opinion in regards.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Pretty much any who enforce Sharia Law, and the Jizya. Those who follow the hadtih and execute those who reject the faith. Those who shoot or pour acid on women who have somehow displeased their spouse, spouse to be, father, brother, or any male for that matter. Those who commit "honor" killings.

It started with the actions of Muhammad himself, and then the infighting came with his death and the split of the Sunni and Shia sects. I'm not talking just about the taliban or hamas. I'm talking about all of those people I listed above.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join