It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin: Koran-burning ‘much like building a mosque at Ground Zero’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin has called a Florida preacher's plan to burn Korans on the anniversary of 9/11 "insensitive and an unnecessary provocation – much like building a mosque at Ground Zero."

Palin made her comments in a Facebook posting Wednesday evening, in which she urged Terry Jones, the head of the Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida, not to go ahead with the burning.

Well done Sarah Palin! I have held exgov. Palin's feet to the fire for some of the dumb things she has said and it's a pleasure to be complementary to Ms. Palin for a change.

I don't think she has changed into a mode of logical thinking but this is a refreshing change and I believe in giving credit where credit is due. Hooray Sarah!!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I agree with her that a mosque at ground zero is similar to burning a koran.

I also think both should be allowed without question, and politicians shouldn't even mention either, since there is a separation of church & state in america. aren't there real problems to deal with?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bettermakings
I agree with her that a mosque at ground zero is similar to burning a koran.

I also think both should be allowed without question, and politicians shouldn't even mention either, since there is a separation of church & state in america. aren't there real problems to deal with?

There use to be separation of church and state in America, however if you aren't Jewish or Christian it's VERY hard to match the funds raised by the person running against you that's religion funded and voted for.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
www.rawstory.com...

Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin has called a Florida preacher's plan to burn Korans on the anniversary of 9/11 "insensitive and an unnecessary provocation – much like building a mosque at Ground Zero."

Palin made her comments in a Facebook posting Wednesday evening, in which she urged Terry Jones, the head of the Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida, not to go ahead with the burning.

Well done Sarah Palin! I have held exgov. Palin's feet to the fire for some of the dumb things she has said and it's a pleasure to be complementary to Ms. Palin for a change.

I don't think she has changed into a mode of logical thinking but this is a refreshing change and I believe in giving credit where credit is due. Hooray Sarah!!

S & F for your excellent OP and added commentary.

Sometimes Palin is "on the fringe", but sometimes she gets it right.

To me, this is one of those times where Palin got it right.

edit on 9/9/2010 by centurion1211 because: added more text

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Call me crazy but I do not see the correlation. Could someone please explain to me how these two completely different things are the same?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Christian fundamentalists are a huge force in American politics. Separation of church and state is just an illusion.

are.as.wvu.edu...

After the Nov. elections expect to see religion to become an even bigger force in American politics as the Right wing conservatives win the house and perhaps the senate.

edit on 9-9-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindyremains
Call me crazy but I do not see the correlation. Could someone please explain to me how these two completely different things are the same?

They are (or seem to be) the same because both events can be viewed as attempts to incite other other people to anger and possibly violence.

Burning korans incites muslims (who quite frankly can be incited by the smallest issue), just as mosque building very near ground zero in NYC incites American citizens who understand that another site could easily be chosen that wouldn't bother anyone.

Doing things just to "tweak" other people is the common issue here ...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I fail to see the connection between the two incidents, that Mrs. Palin makes.

One incident, is building a place of worship, which is fair enough, while the other is an apparent attempt to incite hatred and provoke a response, by disrespecting a book that you know that many people revere.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I don't see Ground Zero as holy ground..

But I don't see the koran as a holy document.. So I don't care either. But at least she admits she thinks its just as bad?

That's good.. I don't care for her though.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Well, Sherlock, whip out your magnifying glass and read my post above where I explain the whole issue quite clearly.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Sure ... both are insensitive and unnecessary. But both are allowed by the Constitution.
That's one of the things about all this freedom .. sometimes people come along and do stupid things with it.
BUt ya' gotta' let 'em.

Unfortunately, we are going to end up with a 'Muslim cultural center' near ground zero and a book burning.
But fortunately, freedom is prevailing. (so far)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
After the Nov. elections expect to see religion to become an even bigger force in American politics as the Right wing conservatives win the house and perhaps the senate.

But, if people are electing Christian conservative candidates, then isn't that only fair that their views are represented by the candidates that they voted for ?

Isn't the ''separation of church and state'' only in terms of actual legislation. You can't really stop any elected representative voting on an issue because of their religious views.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

OMG! I'm actually gonna give props to Palin! Never thought I'd see the day.

Way ta go, Palin, for coming out against Jones' "event"!

While I certainly don't agree with her comparison (as there is no mosque being built at ground zero), I've gotta hand it to her for condemning Jones' plan.

edit on 9/9/10 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Well, Sherlock, whip out your magnifying glass and read my post above where I explain the whole issue quite clearly.

I have yet to see any coherent reason why a religious group should not be able to open a place of worship, a few blocks away from Ground Zero.

I have yet to see any evidence that the purpose of this was to ''incite'' people, and I would suggest that anybody that does get incited by it, should appreciate the difference between a particular religious faith, and some sick-minded individuals who twist that faith in an attempt to justify their heinous actions.

edit on 9-9-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: Punctuation.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

The only thing I can think of that the two have in common is that they will both rouse anti-American sentiment.

The "mosque" itself won't get the terrorists panties in a bunch but the protests will anger them and likely create opprotunity for more recruiting.

The Koran burning is just downright offensive and will be grabbed hold of by the jihadists as a way to deceive more people into their violent practice.

So in one situation it is the reaction of a bunch of intolerant citizens that will have the effect and not the building itself. Just read the Park 51 mission statement here. What was a chance for Americans to show we were enlightened and understand the difference between Muslim-Americans and the terrorists who attacked us has turned into a nightmare.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
To those who are trying to argue that they don't "get" the comparison and the GZ mosque isn't incendiary, I think you're experiencing tunnel vision. Just as there are many who find the idea of burning the Quran to be deeply offensive, there are just as many who find building an Islamic landmark on a location so deeply seeded in America's hearts and minds as being a stark reminder of radical Islamo-fascist hatred of this country to be just as offensive. The US Constitution does not grant freedom from being offended. In fact, it does the opposite... the First Ammendment grants everyone full rights to be offended by whatever they decide to find offensive. So, one way or another people will find a way to be offended.

Muslims believe the Quran is the Holy word of God, Christians believe the Bible is the Holy word of God. The thing is, last time I checked, both have been translated, transcribed, and edited by so many generations that it's become impossible to believe in both an "unchanging God" concept and in the susinct holiness of man's pennings of "His Word." Personally, I believe the emotions, thoughts, and Spirit the reader recieves from reading or comprehending God's Word, in whatever form it reaches them in, is God's Holy Word. Is burning a book to spite the angst such an action will bring illegal? Nope, nor should it be. Is it an indication of an intellectual and moral dullard? Yeah, I'd argue in favor of that point. Conversely, is building a mosque at Ground Zero illegal? No, not as long as the proper permits are obtained. Is building one to spite the angst and respect of many who carry 9/11 close to their hearts the act of a clueless, disconnected, pot stirring imbecile? Again, I wouldn't argue against anyone who made that claim.

That said, I do not think either one is worth anywhere near the attention or distraction that has been afforded them. The Florida pastor and NYC Imam share one huge thing in common: both are massive, ego driven attention whores who are basking in all of the unwarranted attention and media coverage they are recieving. Ignore them both and they would vanish.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This is the pagan with the witch hunting pastor who runs little old women out of town calling them witches?

right?

And this is the Palin who wanted all the Harry Potter books censored from the Wasilla (sp?)
library, right

Oh yeah, everyone cheer her. Hooray.

GAG. Maybe what she wants to do is take his Koran and say, here, burn this witch instead.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
To those who are trying to argue that they don't "get" the comparison and the GZ mosque isn't incendiary, I think you're experiencing tunnel vision. Just as there are many who find the idea of burning the Quran to be deeply offensive, there are just as many who find building an Islamic landmark on a location so deeply seeded in America's hearts and minds as being a stark reminder of radical Islamo-fascist hatred of this country to be just as offensive.

And here we immediately have a problem.

You are trying to link the actions of a few sick-minded Islamo-fascists, with the ordinary, decent American Muslim that is likely to patronise this Islamic centre.

If this Islamic centre was preaching hatred, then I could understand the connection between it and the proposed Qur'an burning.

However, it isn't, so the comparison is illogical.

Those that link an entire religion with the actions of a few sick-minded individuals that claim to follow that religion, are intolerant, overly emotional, and lacking in logic.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Building a place of worship on privately owned property is like burning someones sacred scriptures? I dont think so.

Denouncing the nutjob from Florida is the very least she could do. Actually she shouldnt even be mentioning him because he does not deserve even more airtime than he already has because he is not representative of anything. He's a fringe nutjob. The mosque-builders are Moderate Muslims and property owners.

Very bad comparison

edit on 10-9-2010 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Yes, this coming from the very same horses'... mouth that said these gems.

"Dr. Laura: don't retreat...reload! (Steps aside bc her 1st Amend.rights ceased 2exist thx 2activists trying 2silence "isn't American,not fair")"

Telling a loud mouth racist not to retreat but to reload.

"Ground Zero Mosque supporters: doesn't it stab you in the heart, as it does ours throughout the heartland? Peaceful Muslims, pls refudiate."

Refudiate? What the hell does that mean?

"We have a President, perhaps for the very first time since the founding of our republic, who doesn't appear to believe that America is the greatest earthly force for good the world has ever known."

Yeah, America has been a force for a lot of good in the past decade. (Quick, get that Wikileaks guy for revealing we shoot innocent people and journalists!)

"This is Reagan country (applause). Yeah! And perhaps it was destiny that the man who went to California's Eureka College would become so woven within and inter-linked to the Golden State."

Actually Sarah he went to Eureka College in Illinois, not California.

"Go back to what our founders and our founding documents meant -- they're quite clear -- that we would create law based on the God of the bible and the Ten Commandments."

So the Constitution says our laws are the Ten Commandments, it praises Jesus and says we are officially a Christian Nation(Theocracy). I must have missed that part.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join