It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Instant could be a brilliant stroke -- or another flop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Google Instant could be a brilliant stroke -- or another flop

content.u satoday.com

Google Instant rapidly fires different search results pages at you as fast as you can type a few letters of your search query. Many of the results flashing by will have images. This is Google's turbo-charged way to vividly display how it is able to almost psychically anticipate what you're searching for.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com[/u rl]
[url=http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/09/08/5070527-mark-zuckerberg-gets-fresh-start-on-google-instant-search]technolog.msnbc.msn.com

googleblog.blogspot.com

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Well, this is interesting. I myself have joked for years that I am gonna be the first in line for the google chip, an implantable google chip if they ever make one.

This Instant Google is one giant leap closer to that possibility.

Users begin typing, say, Who won the ballgame last night?

And AS YOU TYPE, google brings up possible guesses/matches to what you are typing.

Now, this just sounds like another way to bother the poor epileptics. With images and articles flashing nearly as instantaneously as your fingers punch the keyboard, the flashing of the article finds could be overwhelming!

I also find this a bit disconcerting. Do we really need instant news? Is this just another step towards complete sound byte news/information retaining?

I know when I research, slow is better.

Maybe this is another step in making us all think faster, thus less able to fully digest the news we do manage to retain.

Good? Bad? Your thoughts and ideas?

content.u satoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 9-9-2010 by hotbakedtater because: spelling corrections

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Well. I am researching a new thread at the moment, and of course, using google.

It was google.com and as I typed my topic, flashes of other articles and topics came up as I was typing. Ugh. Really annoying.

I honestly do not know who would like this.

Can anyone think of any good reasons for this? I am going to ponder some, but most of mine are sinister.

Like, conditioning our brains to accept lightning fast snippets of information, but why? Are we able to retain it?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'm not sure if I like it or not yet lol. It seems to have a bit of lag time when typing stuff in quickly since the page is constantly being updated as I type and I am very fast at my typing skills.
I can see this becoming a problem with older computers that just don't keep up but at least the new feature can be turned on or off at will.
I don't see it being that useful to be honest but maybe after playing with it for a while I may find some use for it

Should be handy for research though when your mind can't think of a specific word or only remembers part of a title/sentence you are trying to type in. OTOH the drop down box that guesses what you are trying to think of already does that well so I don't know.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I have to agree, the drop down box was more than sufficient! And I am not one who hates change or improvements, and I love love love technology.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Is this working now cause I did see the search list change before enter or pressing search.
I think its another way to keep people away from any semblance of knowledge on the net.
Keep one isolated in their own base of operations.
How about this search, no commercial links or Google agendas.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The problem I'll have with it, is that you're going to be constantly distracted and side-tracked by something interesting popping up that you weren't actually searching for.

It's the same with the current pre-emptive suggestions that come up with the normal google search, only I think this'll be even more distracting.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
It ain't working for me in the UK-same old drop down menu here,although the rest of the page has stuff on it now instead of being blank.No pages flashing up though.

MAybe I need a java update or something?

Sounds pretty annoying from what some others are saying.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
It ain't working for me in the UK-same old drop down menu here,although the rest of the page has stuff on it now instead of being blank.No pages flashing up though.

MAybe I need a java update or something?

Sounds pretty annoying from what some others are saying.

I think you have to be signed in with a google account.

I'm just trying to do that, but I can't for the life of me, remember the details that I registered with !

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Same here read the Huff Puff Post article today and immediately went to check it out, and it's not working for me either. Not sure if it's Java update needed though because I just had another recently.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I honestly think Google Instant is a horrible idea.

The chances of Google Instant loading exactly what you were searching for just by looking at the first few characters or words you type is very low. So it almost always makes the first few searches completely worthless. This means there will be a gazillion useless search queries every day... I can only imagine how this will effect keyword stats (top rated searches).

I would hate to be stuck on a slow internet connection with this functionality. It would cause unnecessary lag making unnecessary search queries, wasting bandwidth. Good thing it has an off button.

I don't see how Google engineers could think this was a good idea. This will flood their hardware. It may however give them and increase in ad revenue since it loads ads every time.

If it was more accurate it would be a neat idea I guess, but until then, it is just a waste of energy.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Ah cheers sherlock-
logged into a google account huh...well stuff that for a game of conspieracy theories.
I ain't making a google login...they know enough already!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
After reading some of the replies, I think I might hve figured out one reason they did this, money? Longer stays on thier webpage because of the attention grabbing popping up of hits, totally unrelated to anything you may have been searching for?

Maybe this is designed to shorten our attention spans, and thus get more people on pharmaceuticals? Does google have any ties to pharma, I wonder?

new topics

top topics

join