It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you go to Heaven if you Support War or the Death Penalty?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Assuming there is a heaven and God gave us the Ten Commandments..

The sixth commandment is very clear - THOU SHALT NOT KILL.
And supporting the war makes you an accomplice.
Same as the death penalty, if you are for it, you are breaking a commandment.

I was going to include some Bible quotes to back it up, but for every Bible verse there is always another to contradict and I thought, lets keep it simple.
So, sticking with the commandments only, how can you be for killing and still go to heaven?

What would Jesus do? Would he obey the commandment or support the death penalty and War killings?

In my opinion, it is so simple to answer that question.

edit on 8-9-2010 by earth2 because: Correct the Heading

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Doesn't it say in the bible if you ask for forgiveness it shall be given or something like that? SO I guess according to the bible all you do is repent and your good.... murder kill all the above... Right, or am I way off... Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
What I wonder is...

"How can you go to sleep if you support the war?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The Torah was written in Hebrew. Taken from that context it really means, "Thou shalt not murder." Murder is considered the shedding of innocent blood. I hate war. A lot of innocent blood is shed. I hate abortion for the same reason.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
How can anyone sleep when others are starving and dying at the hands of mercenaries and Oligarchs?

IMO Heaven and hell don't exist for me, But how can anyone in their right mind justify that war of aggression is for the betterment/stability of society.

Heaven and hell are moot. Look around you. Do you not see suffering? Or do you see the walls that you call home? the same walls that block you from the outside.

Edit add: When it comes to heaven and hell. Each religion would be different. the way i was raised.. (Catholic) as long as you ask for forgiveness and pray through Jesus or something, you can enter heaven. confess sins, blah blah blah.. etc.

edit on 9/8/2010 by ugie1028 because: Added emphasis.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

There is such a thing as a just war (not that we have had one in a long long time) If some one is trying to kill your family I think God would support stopping them,If the only way to stop them is to kill them then I think God would forgive. So long as their was no other choice. None of the ten commandments are unforgivable sins.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hardamber

I think all humans are innocent in Gods eyes, until HE ALONE proves them guilty. Right?

Who are we to judge?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Oh well, sure sucks to be a catholic or protestant spending eternity in Heaven with a bunch of pedo;s who rape and murder little children.

But hey, thats like totaly forgiveable in the eyes of the jew god right?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

EARTH2 We have children starving,weak people being murdered everyday,HOW can we not go to war to stop it? I'm not talking about OIL, I'm talking about Congo just for one example?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
So, sticking with the commandments only, how can you be for killing and still go to heaven?

if we consider all the definitions of an atheist, one who does not subscribe to any superior entity or higher being is also an atheist. fist commandment: "you will have no god but me".

therefore, it is possible that who ever authored the first commandment was and athiest.

What would Jesus do?

Jesus would leave. in fact, that is what Jesus did do. Jesus left.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by slinger

I don't know? Assuming there is a God, ask God.

But what I do know is the 10 commandments says thou shalt not kill. That I know.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
You only went over the ten commandments? There are more laws in the Bible then just the ten commandments!
Surprising how many people don't know the Bible.
www.usbible.com...
www.usbible.com...
www.usbible.com...
www.usbible.com...
www.usbible.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Yes, I know, but for every law in the Bible there is another verse to disclaim it.

How can you change a simple law, thou shalt not kill?????
By coming up with other laws?

Heck, you almost need a Bible Lawyer!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I am sure I remember parts of the old testament where God told the Israelites to kill every man, woman, and child of nations that didn't believe in Him. Moses killed a man in his early life. God advocated that "His" people killed many others...does that mean the same people he TOLD to go kill, are damned for doing what He told them to do??

edit on 8/9/2010 by Chamberf=6 because: spelling

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Yea, I know, but on the other hand Jesus said in many ways to turn the other cheek.

Matthew 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

or

James 4:12 There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?

or, this one especially..

Matthew
5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

You could do this forever, finding verses to fit, but it still comes back to, "thou shalt not kill", regardless.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread609694/pg1#pid9545976]post by Romantic_Rebel

I went to a Catholic private school as a child. The Bible Lawyers ask us to call them Father now... Apparently only they can clarify God's word....The conspiracy theorist in me , however, makes me think perhaps the Roman Catholic Church has us call them Father in order for the priest to "signify" God in our minds. Reminds me of my first Reconcialition.... I had no idea what to ask for forgiveness for so I made something up....took me like two minutes in the chamber whatchamacallit. Other in my class must have brought lists.... Some were in there for 15 plus heh....

That is something that always confused me... The Republicans (who pander to the Christian Right) are very pro-war. I don't see how one can justify this and still live the 10 Commandments....

Just adds to all the more hypocrisy Ive noticed I the world..

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Yes, I know, but for every law in the Bible there is another verse to disclaim it.

How can you change a simple law, thou shalt not kill?????
By coming up with other laws?

That's the problem! There are so many contradictions in various religious text it will make your head spin.
I can go on and on about contradictions in the Bible and Koran to make it seem the the Author(s) had no clue what they were writing. It's all about how you see your faith. Even though people would tell that you're following blindly.
www.thekeyboard.org.uk...
This link It what I'm trying to describe.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

I think it is odd that you put so much credence in the ten commandments, yet at the same time quote from the new testament to refute the old testament commands and actions of God himself.

Personally this is one of the multitude of reasons I am agnostic, though actually a minor reason in the face of the much bigger questions.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Yes it is odd, but I was making an example at how you could go on forever finding verses to justify either way.

Thats why right below the verses I wrote..."You could do this forever, finding verses to fit, but it still comes back to, "thou shalt not kill", regardless."

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Yea, I know, but on the other hand Jesus said in many ways to turn the other cheek.

Matthew 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

sometimes my left cheek and my right cheek both seem to have been smited enough. and the ones smiting my cheeks are convinced i'm shaking my head no, which doesn't help me get less smiting upon my cheeks.

i'm just noting that what christians' christ taught is not what christians practice, always.
christ teaches: do unto others as you would have done unto you, yet some christians refuse to treat everyone identically and the same way. it's just a paradox in christian idealogies, i think.

just some observations,
et

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join