It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuban Model Doesn't Even Work For Us Anymore

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
LOL

"The Cuban model doesn't even work for us anymore"

-Fidel Castro

Has Fidel finally figured out that a centrally planned economy based on violent looting does not result in prosperity?

I suppose it only took him half a century of failure to figure it out, which is better than most statists.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

That was a fun article to read. Fidel has a pretty good sense of humor. He's got that grunge look going on a bit, too.

I'd like to meet him.

He's mellowed quite a bit in his old age.

Yep, the Cuban model doesn't even work for Cuba. I always believed that. Now I see those words are coming from the maximus leader himself.

Now, can we start getting some of those famous Cuban cigars here in the U.S. legally, for Pete's sake? I have to have mine smuggled in for me. .

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

America could have helped the Cubans rise out of poverty if they hadn't imposed trade sanctions on the Cubans.

To my knowledge, those cigars are illegal because of US law.

Again, our own criminal government making cigars illegal - what should be illegal is the US government.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
This dude is affiliated with the CFR. I don't buy a word he says and in fact, I question his motive. Apparently, the women who was with him, talking to Castro, is a scholar at CFR.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
This dude is affiliated with the CFR. I don't buy a word he says and in fact, I question his motive. Apparently, the women who was with him, talking to Castro, is a scholar at CFR.

--airspoon

He's most definitely a commie, I also have to wonder why he published the quote.

Perhaps out of some perverse set of morals he has. It is not uncommon to see massive cognitive dissonance among leftists, which results in wildly conflicting moral belief systems.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I agree. It's time for the U.S. to become a trading partner and friend to Cuba. The policies of the U.S. towards Cuba are ridiculous IMHO.

Edited to add: Yeah, the writer of the article was traveling with a CFR scholar. There could be more to this event than meets the eye.

edit on 8-9-2010 by kyred because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
As much as we don't like communism or Cuba, the country has remained far more stable than the US. They may not be as wealthy as us, but they have lasted. Fidel himself has seen a whole plethora of administrations come and go from DC. He has outlasted several American attempts to stage a coup and even more assassination attempts. For as much crap as we can talk about Castro, he did pretty much outlast American attempts to dunk him.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

As much as we don't like communism or Cuba, the country has remained far more stable than the US. They may not be as wealthy as us, but they have lasted. Fidel himself has seen a whole plethora of administrations come and go from DC. He has outlasted several American attempts to stage a coup and even more assassination attempts. For as much crap as we can talk about Castro, he did pretty much outlast American attempts to dunk him.

--airspoon

If by stable, you mean in a constant state of total poverty, I suppose this is true.

edit on 8-9-2010 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Stable, meaning not much upheaval. Things staying pretty much the same. Sure they are poor, because after the fall of the USSR, their financial backer pretty much checked out. In fact, they were only one of the Soviet bloc to stay standing after the Soviets Union failed. Unlike China or North Korea, the Cubans were heavily reliant on the Soviets, as if they were a Soviet state.

So, while US politicians were starting wars, staging coups and assassinations, meddling in affairs, toppling democratically elected governments, installing brutal dictators, political turmoil and scandals and a roller coaster economy, Cuba pretty much stayed the same.

Furthermore, Cuba produces some of the best medical doctors in the world. They are world-famous for their medical schools, even accepting first-world students to study in their program.

This is on top of the fact that the US consistently tried to topple the regime and assassinate Castro. I don't agree with communism, though at least people [children] aren't starving to death and their people have food to eat, which is saying a lot for a country that has withstood the test of time.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Fidel Castro is Jimmy Hoffa. I swear they act just a like. They believe in using violence the help the poor. Doesn't always work that way.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Fidel himself has seen a whole plethora of administrations come and go from DC. He has outlasted several

Yes that's exactly what democracies are supposed to do, they change leaders periodically. However dictators if they are brutal enough can last for decades.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

To give a little perspective, the US does the same. In fact, I would say that our own authorities are far more brutal and violent to Americans, than Cuba is to their own citizens. After all, the US has the highest prisoner per capita in the world. We incarcerate more people than almost the whole world combined (though not quite the whole world). With that bit of information, you have to ask yourself which country is the bigger authoritarian?

I'm not trying to "stick up" for Cuba, though I feel compelled to put things in a little perspective and add some worthy context. The US media is so propagandic, that we are lead to believe that we are free, while our enemies are not. Sadly, we don't even realize that we aren't anymore free than they and sometimes less so.

--airspoon

reply to post by SLAYER69

Sure, our leaders come and go but our controllers stay the same. We are still dominated by the same influences, just like Cuba. The only difference, is that we get a new puppet every 4 years and replace a few strings every 2 and 6 years.

--airspoon

edit on 8-9-2010 by airspoon because: reply to slayer

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

They are poor because they have a centrally planned economy, just like the US is now poor because we have a centrally planned economy.

This isn't some great mystery dude, apparently even Castro gets it.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Your putting words in my mouth, "dude". I don't question why they are poor and in fact, their are a lot more variables than their centrally based economy that makes them poor. I also never really implied a mystery. Furthermore, our centrally based economy is much different than theirs. The biggest fault of our own, is a debt based currency and an favor-based market, not to mention our brand of Keynesian economics.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

You said:

"Stable, meaning not much upheaval. Things staying pretty much the same. Sure they are poor, because after the fall of the USSR, their financial backer pretty much checked out. In fact, they were only one of the Soviet bloc to stay standing after the Soviets Union failed. Unlike China or North Korea, the Cubans were heavily reliant on the Soviets, as if they were a Soviet state. "

I said:

"They are poor because they have a centrally planned economy, just like the US is now poor because we have a centrally planned economy.

This isn't some great mystery dude, apparently even Castro gets it. "

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Castro gets it, only according to the CFR and those affiliated with it. Remember, the CFR also said that Iraq had not only WMD but also connections to Al Qaeda. I think I trust my local wino more than I trust anyone in the CFR, especially when talking about Cuba.

Furthermore, a huge factor into the poor economy of Cuba was the tanking of the USSR. Before then, Cuba wasn't doing so bad, even though they had the same centrally based economy. Now technically, their economy was one of the major reasons for such a tight relationship with the USSR (that and their strategic location), so technically...

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Castro gets it, only according to the CFR and those affiliated with it. Remember, the CFR also said that Iraq had not only WMD but also connections to Al Qaeda. I think I trust my local wino more than I trust anyone in the CFR, especially when talking about Cuba.

Furthermore, a huge factor into the poor economy of Cuba was the tanking of the USSR. Before then, Cuba wasn't doing so bad, even though they had the same centrally based economy. Now technically, their economy was one of the major reasons for such a tight relationship with the USSR (that and their strategic location), so technically...

--airspoon

Cuba has had half a century to pull itself out of poverty since the communist revolution.

As a comparison, we can look to what South Korea has become within that same time period.

The Soviet involvement secured half a century of poverty for that poor nation.

If the communists had not come to power and a proper free market was allowed to flourish, Cuba would be the jewel of the Caribbean today.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
LOL

People should realy understand what ruthless U.S economic policies and U.S sponserd terrorism have actualy did to Cuba over the decades. Still though, pretty awesome place to go on holiday if you come from a country that lets you travel there freely.

But who cares right?, castro only ripd off the mob.

new topics

top topics

join