It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Condom Machines Installed at SF Jail

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Condom Machines Installed at SF Jail

www.nbcbayarea.com

Condom machines are the latest step in a program to promote safe sex at the San Francisco Jail's San Bruno lockup.

The Chronicle's Matier and Ross reported this week that authorities at the jail installed 16 condom machines throughout the facility -- one in each jail pod -- even though sex is technically illegal in the cell block.

part of a safe-sex program aimed at getting them ready for their release back into society.

Distributing condoms to inmates is "worth it,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Now we have the government in San Francisco faciliting safe rape in jail. Some of the sex in jail is certainly consensual, but most of it is rape. To provide inmates with condoms so that they can rape other inmates safely is outrageous.

The notion that they are "preparing" them for release suggests that they are schooling how to conduct their criminal behavior safely once out of prison.

It is no wonder people come out of jail like animals.

Rather than work to systematically stop rape in prison, we have the system actually incenting it.

www.nbcbayarea.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Somone is making money with this, that's all.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Safe Rape? Wow, I am shocked at this one, really.

As for sex in Jail? I just think there must have been a call from the inmates for it and they finally agreed, dont'cha think?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Oh my god, I haven't been so disgusted all week. You're right, this is only going to make rape - one of the most brutal and psychologically harming acts you can do to someone - even easier in prisons.

What's the biggest deterrent for crime? Going to jail. Why don't people want to go to jail? Because you get raped in jail.

That's how EVERY AMERICAN THINKS. It's burned into our national consciousness and few people ever stop and ask "Wait, why are we letting people get raped in prison?"

And here they go, taking what's already a human rights chaotic inferno of a nightmare, and making it even worse. Thanks SF, yet another reason for everyone to hate you.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
This is almost like the argument about giving teenagers Birth Control.

No matter how much in denial you may be doesn't mean that Teenage Sex or Prison Sex happens nevertheless.

I suppose if it is going to happen you might as well encourage that they practice Safe Sex.

Overall, I'm "meh" about it, so long as it wasn't funded with State or Federal Funds. If Trojan or another Private Group provided the machines and condoms out of pocket, then "whatever".

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I find this outragious. First of all, most of the prisoners in US jails are political prisoners, having only committed victimless crimes. So with that, the government should be doing everything they can to protect prisoners, since it is forcing them to stay there. This is especially true in a county jail, such as the one in question, as we are *supposed to be presumed innocent until proven guilty. If there is one person raped in jail, then the government has failed. In fact, it's not only the government failing but rather society as a whole.

In fact, most US prisons and jails do not adhere to the 8th Amendment of the US Constitution, which states:

"Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."

Subjecting a person to rape, whether it be male or female, is both cruel and unusual. When you are subjecting this person to prison, you are subjecting them to rape. For this reason alone, most of the prisons should be shut down (though there are much better reasons than that). However, I think we all know that the Constitution is no longer really valid, seeing how just about everysingle Constitutional protection in the "Bill of Rights" has been effectively subverted and dismantled. This should give us not only a reason to shut the prisons down, but to revolt and throw all of the treasonous traitors in a dungeon somewhere, after they are tar and feathered and before they are walked to the gallows.

Why is it that we look at male-on-female rape as one of the most heinous crimes, even worse than murder in a lot of cases, but we seem to not care at all about male-on-male rape? How can one be so disgusting that it is even taboo to talk about but the other is perfectly fine?

It's sort of the same for women child molestors, though the gap isn't as big. For instance, when a man molests a child, he is considered a monster that should be put to death (as I agree with). However, when a women does it, we ask what mental illness she has and we hope she gets better. The prison sentences often reflect this point of view too. Not only do the women hardly ever get prison time, even if they are repeat offenders, but men are getting life sentences.

There is something inherently wrong with our society and this latest policy at the SF jail is only a symptom of it.

--airspoon

edit on 8-9-2010 by airspoon because: Added the bit on the 8th Amendment.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

To provide inmates with condoms so that they can rape other inmates safely is outrageous.

Or let the person get raped and get AIDS - both alternatives suck

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

i dont have a source for this one handy but in california atleast all the stuff that is issued to the inmates from clothes to shoes to cups to trays is all made by barker enterprises which if im not mistaken is owned by MR spay and nuter your animals bob barker so hes problay the one makeing money off this one

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I don't know about you, but I'd sure like to see some politicians get ass poked in the slam. And why not? Now they are passing out condoms so the rapists could rape other inmates without leaving any trace evidence,

I doubt if the condoms will provide any real protection against aids and hepatitis however. Sooner of later condoms malfunction. I don't know about you but I'll sleep better at night knowing that my tax dollars are providing condoms for rapists so they can be able to rape with immunity. Leave it to SF to come up with a such a wonderful idea.

Way to go SF. Pelosi should be proud!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MY2Commoncentsworth

The condoms aren't going to make a difference in terms of prosecution. In most cases no charges are filed, so it doesn't matter if a condom is used or not. In the end the condoms will reduce the number of STIs prisoners contract in prison, but I don't think there will be an increase or decrease in reported prison rapes.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

I think the source was meant to say, safe rape, not safe sex lol..

Nice one..

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Shouldn't prison rape be as controllable as rape in a school? I don't need to go into what would happen at a school if someone were to do that.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Ya, condoms might reduce STDs but I think the impact will be minimal. There are so many other ways to become infected in prison. Razors, Tattoo Needles, and Bodily Fluids, just to name a few.

Prisons will never be safe until the entire criminal justice system is completely overhauled. Since there are between 2 and 3 million people out on the streets who are committing 80-90% of all crime, I say build more prisons and lock em up! But make the prisons safe. No more ass poking!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Unfortunately prisons are horribly understaffed as it is, so making even more will just serve to exacerbate the problem. The reform that's necessary won't happen over night, so short-term measures must be taken to make prisons safer while a larger reform is taking place.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I had to make a comment at the website about this, because I was so disgusted. Here's the comment I posted there.

So, wait a minute, it' s against the rules to have sex in the facility, but since they know it's gonna happen anyway, they supply condoms?

Talk about hypocritical!

And then they expect the ex-prisoners to follow the rules when they get out? What about setting an example and following through on the rules?

Have these officials of the jail never heard about TEACHING about safe sex, instead of facilitating illegal behavior?

And, by the way, is this a co-ed facility?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I really don't see how having condoms is going to make it easier to rape someone, maybe some lube...

A lot of naivety in this thread.

I guess you all don't realise there is a culture within prison of conceptual sex. It is extremely common.

You'd be surprised at how many men in prison are weak and give-in to having sex with other men. Like me, most of them aren't "queers." They are just sexually starved and they crave affection and interaction with others. But it's an unmanly weakness.

www.prisoners.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

So what are you saying dude?

You gave it up?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Hey now.

Prison is one thing I've managed to avoid, thank you.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

You're alright.

I just wanted to see what you would say.......lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join