It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Critics, Proponents Spar Over 'Islamic Symbols' in Flight 93 Memorial Design

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Nine years after the heroes of Flight 93 rebelled against the terrorists who hijacked their plane -- crashing it into a field in Shanksville, Pa., instead of allowing it to smash into an unknown, high-profile target in Washington, D.C. -- the design of a memorial to honor the 40 passengers and crew who died remains a subject of bitter controversy.

Since 2005, when plans for the Flight 93 National Memorial were unveiled, a group of critics, including the father of one of the heroes who died, have protested loudly that the memorial's design is rife with Islamic symbols. They haven't wavered in their protest -- even though some design elements have been changed -- and they plan to run a full-page ad opposing the design in a local newspaper on Friday and Saturday, when the nation will pause to remember September 11.

source

I don't really care what you believe about the whole 9-11 phenomenon, but exactly why in the wide world of sports would any idiot even suggest putting Islamic symbols on anything related to 9-11? And I don't care about the mosque that is supposed to be near ground zero. I mean this monument specifically. I don't consider myself to be anti-Islamic nor do I hold the entire Muslim faith responsible for some fringe fanatics. But has this planet become so obsessed with political correctness that we intentionally try to do idiotic things just to find new and exciting ways to push the envelope?

This reminds me of the commercial where the guy was playing on his laptop in the middle of a wedding. The caption was," just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

decorum prevents me from addressing this in the manner that it deserves. Stupid, idiotic, asinine, are not close to describing this event.

edit on 8-9-2010 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
I don't really care what you believe about the whole 9-11 phenomenon, but exactly why in the wide world of sports would any idiot even suggest putting Islamic symbols on anything related to 9-11?

It's called provocation. This pisses people off, the mosque on ground zero pisses people off, all the attention on some crazy pastor burning a koran (which should have been ignored as rantings of a crazy man) pisses people off.

Someone is trying to get two sides to hate each other and I bet the same money behind these Islamic symbols are also the same money behind the push for a ground zero mosque and behind the media attention on the koran burning church.

Oh look Iran is building nukes.....

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Perhaps it's because their are Muslims (who weren't extremists) who died on that day too? Tell me this.....Would you get pissed that their was a Cross on a "Oklahoma City Bombing memorial"? You SHOULD if you are pissed at Muslim symbols on a memorial since it's no different. Timothy Mcveigh was a Christian so surely putting Christian symbols on a OKC memorial is exactly the same as other terrorists who were muslim attacking us and putting Muslim symbols on the WTC memorial?

HYPOCRISY IS SO RAMPANT IN THIS WORLD IF YOU REALLY LOOK FOR IT!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
According to the source itself, there IS NO ISLAMIC SYMBOLISM actually there at all. What is it says is that some people seem to think that circle looks too much like a crescent. It does not look like a crescent at all to me but then I know what shapes are. This is just more nothing to get people angry for no reason. I am waiting for the follow up - USA to ban all circles, ovals, and curves.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Oh no, not this again. Why must they do this time and time again?

Originally posted by network dude
decorum prevents me from addressing this in the manner that it deserves. Stupid, idiotic, asinine, are not close to describing this event.

If you're accepting it the way it was presented to you and what you want to make of it, I can't help you and won't sympathize with you. If you're looking for the disinformation involved in this I suggest you take a look here.

Federal government to buy land for Flight 93 memorial (have you seen it?)

As long as we're talking about symbols and the trouble they represent, you may want to be suspicious of your neighboring states flag.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/868a7af3afa9.jpg[/atsimg]

And possibly the matttess you sleep on.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d7fa5769b820.jpg[/atsimg]

I'm just sayin'...

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Here's a couple of links that I also gave at the thread about this that Three_Moons linked:

Here's a pdf download of the plans for the memorial:
Memorial Design

Here's the website for the project:
Flight93 National Memorial

In my opinion, the "Islamic" symbolism is imagined. It's pretty easy to see a crescent in any curved shape; should we from now on use only straight lines and angles in our memorial art?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
Here's a pdf download of the plans for the memorial:
Memorial Design

If that's an Islamic crescent, then the picture on page two is the image of a crashing plane!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e51e2d61ffe2.jpg[/atsimg]

People are a little bit crazy, I think, with Islamaphobia.

edit on 9/8/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
In my opinion, the "Islamic" symbolism is imagined. It's pretty easy to see a crescent in any curved shape; should we from now on use only straight lines and angles in our memorial art?

If you ask me, it is really all about decency. A terrible thing happened on that day and people need to be blamed, even if most of them are already dead. Sure, I hear you out there. We have the right to use curved lines in the US, but should we?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I see where you all are coming from, and I admit that I must have inadvertently been drawn in to the hype. I read the article and had thoughts of how ignorant it would be to do such a thing and failed to do more research into what was actually there. Sorry. I guess the puppet masters are quite good at the sting pulling. I don't hate Islam like I am supposed to, and I don't think that anything Christians do it cool like I should. But I still find myself getting caught up in emotion. //sarcasm// I am just glad that everything will be OK in November. //end sarcasm//

top topics

join