It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Offensive Against Atheism !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
As militant atheism rises it was only a matter of time that one of the most distributed journals attacked it. It was funny to find this topic with the link to the article on the front page of Digg yesterday. So I thought it would be a good topic for the theology sub-forum at ATS.

Is Atheism On The March? (Link to online PDF file)

It least on the internet, even on ATS there is a sharp rise in Atheism. People who say there is no God, and evolution is a fact of science. Maybe you have seen some of the videos on YouTube aggressively attacking those that have faith in a Creator.

For me as a Christian I am happy that counter measures are taking place.

I would like to get other Christians opinions of there experience with dealing atheists both on the internet and in real life face to face. Has it changed for you? I know it has for me they used to be much more pensive about their beliefs. Now many of them, but not all, are aggressive and condescending. With an attitude of how could you be so stupid? I don't feel that way at all toward them, I understand their perspective.
I myself could have easily become an atheist. But I have seen too much Holy Spirit in action to verify my faith in God.

In the end Christians have faith in God and the bible, and atheists have faith in science and evolution.

Thread Note: This is not the thread to debate the validity of the Bible or God, we have other threads on ATS for that.

[edit on 8-9-2010 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I never saw Atheist walking from house to house and bothering people with his non-believes, but I´m seeing stupid christians doing it every week.

I saw many and many atheist bashing threads here on ATS but only a few opposites. Atheist dont care about you believes until you force them to listen. Then you set them angry.

Not only christians but most religions are militant. Forcing their believes to non-believers. This is why Atheist dont like you. Proof is title of your thread.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I never saw Atheist walking from house to house and bothering people with his non-believes, but I´m seeing stupid christians doing it every week.

That's funny because I never see christians making fun of atheist like that, but on a daily baises on youtube with 1,000s of spam accounts I see immature IDIOTS make accounts ike this.

www.youtube.com...

and the list goe on and on. And their main s'''' is perversion because it reflects their nasty souls . Their nasty possesion of lust reflects their accounts.

anyways show me the christians that do that and I myself will chew them out.

peace.

edit on 8-9-2010 by JesusisTruth because: Because I like poptarts.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
As for the OP. No atheism isn't on the march, antichrist will not allow it when he arrives. What it's being used for as prophets predicted is to help to rid of the christian community which antichrist has to do.

But when he comes, us christians and atheist will be imprisoned or killed. He will require a belief in him as the only diety. He has to make the society more Godless before he comes for the simple fact that is creates more sin and loss of Christ in society.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Some of us Atheists are actively seeking "members" if you can call them that, we have "churches" in which we discuss many things like raising our kids, morals and how to deal with religious people when they try to force us to listen to their beliefs. Our main issues right now (in my group) are making people aware that there are others like them and that they don't have to be afraid of being ridiculed or harassed by religious people and giving them the best answers and knowledge for when someone confronts them with their beliefs.
Another big issue for us is the "lazy" religious people who leave everything to their God and do nothing to help others or do something about a situation because they did not hear "God's calling".
So, yes, we are taking steps to let others know that we are here.
Edit: Don't get me wrong, I have no interest in "converting" you or making you see what I see. I prefer believers stay believing and stay submissive as long as they don't start hurting others because of what their leaders tell them that God told them to do. All I ask of you is that if you see something is wrong, like burning the Koran, maybe you should consider taking a step back and reconsider what your leaders are asking you to do and remember that those that lead you are human just like you, they make mistakes just like you do.

edit on 8-9-2010 by Elieser because: Added text

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I was an atheist at one time in my life, I do understand their position, very well. In dealing with those with that belief I think it's important we don't argue with them. It just solidifies their position and gives them the opportunity to drag the Bible through the mud.

I used to get frustrated and angry when reading or participating in ant-Christian threads but I realize now that God's word can stand by itself, he doesn't need me defending him. I'm more than happy to share the word of God but insults and sarcasm directed at me because of my faith/belief run like water off the back of a duck, it just doesn't penetrate.

The Bible says you are actually blessed when you are attacked because of Jesus, so rejoice!

We do more harm to our faith and God when we get angry and agressive in the name of God.

Love, peace and faithful action will always be God's light and be the thing that defends and leads!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

First off, please direct yourself to my new Atheist PR Thread if you have any problems with the atheists on here. Simply in the spirit of reconciliation and getting along on here. ATS is for everyone. even if we're a bit harsh with each other sometimes. And I do apologize for any atheists being offensive for the sake of it or directly insulting, I don't intend to do that myself. However, I hope you don't misinterpret the rest of this reply.

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33
As militant atheism

To repeat, atheists don't go door to door, we don't stand on street corners and preach, nor do we have any actually militarized efforts. Please do not refer to us as militants. "Atheism" on its own has yet to cause any deaths. Atheists have done horrid things, be it Stalin who did it in the name of political power or Pol Pot who did it out of being apparently insane, but they didn't do these things because of their lack of belief in a deity.

rises it was only a matter of time that one of the most distributed journals attacked it. It was funny to find this topic with the link to the article on the front page of Digg yesterday. So I thought it would be a good topic for the theology sub-forum at ATS.

Is Atheism On The March? (Link to online PDF file)

It least on the internet, even on ATS there is a sharp rise in Atheism.

Nah, there isn't a rise really, I just started posting again.

People who say there is no God, and evolution is a fact of science.

Those are two independent statements. Three of my four closes friends are theists, four out of my four closest friends accept evolution. The theists are two Catholic and a Presbyterian. Religion and evolution can exist peacefully together. Most importantly, in the recent Dover ID case, the biologist defending evolution was a theist. A devout Christian. But he has no problems accepting biologic facts. However, the rest we can debate on O&C.

As for people who say there is no god, they're simply 'coming out' in full force. Atheists have been around forever, but we've been the most marginalized group with relation to religion in all of history. Religions may hate each other, but they all agree to hate the atheists more. But now that a good portion of the world is more tolerant we can come out of hiding.

Maybe you have seen some of the videos on YouTube aggressively attacking those that have faith in a Creator.

Aggressively attacking is a bit misleading. A good example would be user Thunderf00t. He's probably one of the most outright aggressive atheist users in terms of tactics, but he doesn't attack the people themselves unless its a specific person making a specific claim. Most of these 'aggressive atheists' simply attack positions, but you people who believe in a deity tend to take this as a personal attack.

For me as a Christian I am happy that counter measures are taking place.

So you're happy that counter measures that could lead to discrimination are taking place? Is that really a wise thing to be happy about?

I would like to get other Christians opinions of there experience with dealing atheists both on the internet and in real life face to face. Has it changed for you?

Well, I can give you the opposite side of the coin. In dealing with Christians I've found that many are not very interested in debate and instead prefer to simply preach at others whilst ignoring facts and arguments presented by the other side. There are the few rare Christians that do accept actual logical debates as a method for discussing issues, but they seem to be few and far between. Another surprising thing is that a majority of Christians (not just on the internet) are incredibly ignorant as to what they actually believe. In the group that consists of me and my aforementioned best friends, I'm the most knowledgeable in terms of the Christian religions, though my Presbyterian friend has been learning quite a bit more lately. And none of them have read the Bible. It's the insanely rare exception for a Christian to have actually read the entire thing.

I know it has for me they used to be much more pensive about their beliefs. Now many of them, but not all, are aggressive and condescending.

We also used to worry about hate crimes against us. Now we have an open forum for our debates that means we don't have to worry about physical attack or societal ostracization.

With an attitude of how could you be so stupid?

To be fair, some religious people do claim some insane things, like curing of cancer by speaking to an invisible omnipotent thing or that a full half of biological and cosmological is purely false. Or that the craters on the Moon were created by water spinning off of the Earth during Noah's flood...or that they believe in Noah's flood in the first place. These ideas are all ridiculous, so they tend to get ridiculed.
The YouTube user I mentioned before is actually quite fair with his responses, this is reference to a user who believes that the craters on the moon were created by water from Noah's flood Here is the response
NSFW language, but not safe for ignorance science that entirely disproves the concept that water from the Earth cannot cause craters on the moon.

I don't feel that way at all toward them, I understand their perspective.

You don't seem to, the rest of your post demonstrates this.

I myself could have easily become an atheist. But I have seen too much Holy Spirit in action to verify my faith in God.

However you don't seem to have evidence that the 'Holy Spirit' has acted at all.

In the end Christians have faith in God and the bible, and atheists have faith in science and evolution.

Except we don't have any faith in it, we simply know it works. We have mountains of evidence to support it. Look at the fact that we're using computers on the internet, without science we wouldn't have that at all.

Thread Note: This is not the thread to debate the validity of the Bible or God, we have other threads on ATS for that.

Ok, but it is a thread that's entitled 'offensive against atheism' and has a lot of things attacking atheists.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

YES!!! You are so awesome! I can go on and on how hypocritical Christians attack people because they don't believe the same as themselves.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
So, could you characterize atheism as a complete lack of faith?
To amplify, faith is built on belief, and belief is a completely subjective mode of thought.

gj

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

You seem like a moderate atheist, in which case I have no problem with it, we all need to be free to believe what we need to, to stay sane in a crazy world.

Again my issue is with radicals within any belief structures, they don't help there cause, but hinder it, with the automatic defensive knee jerk reaction that people will react with. We have all heard them before.

Radical religious person to atheist, "your going to burn in hell forever!"
Radical atheist to religious person, "your such a stupid ignorant fool!"

Neither expression is helpful to the cause either one wants to advocate.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

I would like to share this link with you.
www.positiveatheism.org...
Tell me your thoughts on this link.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

This is what Atheism is all about!
www.positiveatheism.org...
The more you know.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

There are no atheist belief structures. There may be atheists with external belief structures coming from sociological forces or political forces, but not from atheism.

Atheism is a response to a single question: Do you believe there is a deity? (the answer being no)

An atheist telling someone that they're ignorant isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it could be. If a theist tells me God created the world in 7 days 6000 years ago I can tell them that they're being ignorant because there are mountains of scientific evidence to the contrary.
If a person says that they think people should be nice to each other, I'll be ok with that.

It depends on which specific religious tenant is being discussed and how it is being discussed. Now, normally nobody should tell others that they're being ignorant, even if it is the case, it's just not good rhetorical skill. I'd prefer if we all just addressed issues rather than anything else. But it's not really a matter of atheism in cases of name calling, rather a case of individual disposition.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33
It least on the internet, even on ATS there is a sharp rise in Atheism.

I agree with you that there seems to be a sharp rise in Atheism. It's possible though, that what we're seeing is that more people are comfortable expressing their thoughts about it.

I think many atheists do come across as condescending, but no more than Christians do, in my experience. I've read through a lot of religious threads here and there are some religious people here who are pretty seriously arrogant in my opinion.

... they used to be much more pensive about their beliefs. Now many of them, but not all, are aggressive and condescending.

I think what you're seeing is what I described above. Atheists are 'coming out' and some are being as bold and brash as some religious folks have all along. You're not used to it, so of course, they seem a little "uppity". Let's face it, they used to just sit quietly in the corner but now, they're standing up and saying, "Hey, we don't all believe in the same thing you do, so don't hold me accountable to some "standard" based on your religion".

Faith is belief without proof. Atheists don't have faith in science. They have proof of it.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Blue_Jay,
The closet door has just been opened wider and more than Atheists are comeing out faster. The question was asked in that article, can science do away with God?. Well no for sure but the balances are falling off for Christianity, it's coming in at every angle and direction to silence True Christianity. And too much, way too much watered down theology is being expounded everywhere by hucksters living super high and immoral lives. Christianity needs to get very serious from here on out. For you know who is going around like a roaring lion to seeking who he may devour.

We must be marching to the Heavenly Zion.

Truthiron. .

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Faith is belief without proof. Atheists don't have faith in science. They have proof of it.

Yes but science changes too, with knowledge and advancement in technology. It changes and so to a degree we have faith in it with what we know right now.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

OP and all the other faithful people. lol. I have an article I would like all you to read from the start to the end.
Then tell me what you think of it.
www.hennessy.id.au...

new topics

top topics

join