It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel worried by Jones proposal for int'l force in W. Bank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Israel worried by Jones proposal for int'l force in W. Bank

www.jpost.com

American proposal to establish a multi-national force in the West Bank could be way to expedite a withdrawal following any peace deal with PA.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Israel is concerned about an American proposal to establish a multi-national force in the West Bank as one of the ways to expedite an Israeli withdrawal following any peace deal with the Palestinian Authority.

The idea is being promoted by US National Security Advisor James Jones, who served as security coordinator to the West Bank under former secretary of state Condoleezza Rice.

I think it's a great proposal. International troops like United Nations Peace Keeping Forces can work great here. Only such a force maintaining presence at border will be able to stop aggression from both sides.

The IDF, with the backing of Defense Minister Ehud Barak, is opposed to the idea and believes that before the Palestinians receive control over the West Bank, they need to be able to independently prevent the creation of a terrorist state.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu has also voiced reservations about an international deployment.

Why would Israel object to this? Surely a third party neutral force will serve as a buffer between Israel and Gaza/ West Bank. The only reason I can think of Israel rejection to this proposal is they would not be able to create more settlements and occupy more land.

www.jpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
In any other country, the deployment of peace keeping forces would have been a forced issue decades ago.
Israel will never let this happen. It currently has complete control of reporting from the West Bank area and backs the settlers in their oppression and displacement of the palestinians. Why would they want to allow a force in that witnesses first hand their actions?

Jim Jones would be be well advised to stay clear of small planes and start wearing kevlar underwear just for even suggesting this.

It's a good idea but it's never going to happen.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
i seriously doubt israel will go for this.

im not so sure its a good idea to be expanding any type of multi-inter-national forces in any countries. the last thing the world needs is a bigger UN.

i know i wouldnt want a multinational force on the border of america and mexico. nations like to handle their own borders/problems.

i think america should worry about america.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I disagree with this completely.

We world powers should not be meddling in the affairs of these people.

If the Palestinians want to flee, help them flee and have these so called world powers prove their concern for the Palestinian plight and grant them land in their nations to have a new home.

I doubt anyone's doors are open to the Palestinians. So let them fight Israel for that pointless piece of property. It's really not our business, especially if no one is kind enough to grant the Palestinians an alternative.

Had we not meddled in that situation in the first place, it might have resolved itself by now.

It's our meddling in their affairs that have exacerbated it to the intensity it has become.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by name pending

Israel allow an independent, unbiased force monitor them???

I nearly wet myself reading that....

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The proposal is apparently intended to be a way to solidify the up-and-coming peace talks with the PA.

So if this goes through, then it basically means that Hamas, the democratically-elected and rightful leaders of Palestine, will be sidelined even more. They might even come under direct military threat from this proposed int'l peace force.

Any proposal which de-legitimizes Hamas is going to have the opposite effect, as history has shown time and time again. The people of Palestine are no fools - they understand that Fatah and the PA are puppets of Israel - so they will view this as an attack on their sovereignty, and rightly so. Hamas is rather extremist, but anything is better than a puppet controlled by your enemy.

I hope they re-work this proposal, so that the international force will include Hamas in any negotiations. Anything else is a recipe for complete disaster.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Israel has been conducting a slow campaign of Palestinain Genocide and Attrition.

They have long conducted it in a way, so that they can plausibly deny it to rabid supporters of the Zionist Manifesto and 'friends' of Israel.

They have long conducted it as a for profit industry getting other nations like the United States to bankroll it with weapons and aide.

They claim to want peace but ultimately the peace Israel wants is all the Palestinians gone off the land that they covet.

It really is that simple.

Now here is the thing most people don't consider. We are being gradually reprogrammed here in the west to be anti-Islam, and if and when, Israel manages to rid the West Bank and Gaza of Palestinians so it can completely absorb it, it will simply keep expanding from there into neighboring countries it will essentially continue to get the West to Bank Roll and do most of the fighting.

The UN should have sent in troops in 1946 when Yitzhak Shamir and the Stern Gang assissinated the U.N. Special Envoy Count Folke Bernodatte.

The UN hasn't for one simple reason, is it needs Israel to create the conditions for the appocalyptical war that will create the pretext for a true one world government with central control.

What is really needed is an Arab League that hasn't been bought out and bribed or villified, to go in and maintain peace in the West Bank and Gaza.

Sadly the only leader in the Arab World who might have had the guts to do that and the troops to do it, was Saddam Hussein.

The next best Candidate is non-Arab, Persian, yet Muslim Iran and at the very least a propaganda war is isolating them, likely to be followed by a real war to isolate them, if the propaganda can ever drum up enough support for it.

The rest of the Arab world has either sold out for U.S. Aide money, has U.S. Troops already occupying them, or is too in bed with Big Oil, to care about the resourceless people of Palestine.

This does not appear to have a happy ending in store, and it's not just the Palestinians under attack, it's all of us, because we are all being robbed of rights and tax dollars to wage a war of Muslim attrition.

It's right in our faces, save for the politicians and the religious xenophobes who so vocally deny it and argue otherwise.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Had we not meddled in that situation in the first place, it might have resolved itself by now.

It's our meddling in their affairs that have exacerbated it to the intensity it has become.

Would your understanding of `meddling` include the creation of the state of Israel ?

There has been so much meddling in the affairs of the region ........ might as well meddle a little longer to resolve the conflict .

===============================================
Meddler-in-chief

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Im all for it as long as this force would have some power. I of course mean that if either side are observed going against the agreements made, or if either side is seen to be commiting war crimes, or any form of wrong doing, that those parties be punished, immediately by the UN force.
So for example, UN dude sees men in palestine building rocket bombs, SHOOT THEM IN THE HEAD. UN dude sees Israelis building in land they do not control SHOOT THEM IN THE HEAD. Keep that up till both sides learn the rules, and everyone will be fine. Anything softer than that, and the pathetic ego mongers running both sides of the issue will continue as normal.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

You are kidding with that post... right?

We have sent troops into other nations for a hell of a lot less in the past.
Why should a bunch on non-native people be allowed to invade anothers land and force them out? It is not the responsibility of the surrounding nations to take the Palestinians in, but the responsibility of the UN, under it's charter to back up the numerous resolutions against Israel for it's actions.

The US, more than any other nation, has been arming and funding these settler terrorists for a long time, so has a long history of meddling in the country already. If you are keen for the Palestinians to fight for their land, then lets see the US arm them to the same level and supply the same amount of money it currently does to Israel.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

It could be the most thankless and dangerous of jobs.

And if South Lebanon is anything to go by ..........

Four United Nations observers have been killed in an Israeli air strike on an observation post in south Lebanon.

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan said he was "shocked" at the "apparently deliberate targeting" of the post. Israel has expressed "deep regret".

BBC News

Not that i think the danger to U.N observers will all come from just the Israeli side of the border , far from it , Hamas are liable to be just as dangerous.

That deployment would truly be between - a rock and a hard place.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

You're absolutely right, if we hadn't meddled the problem would have been resolved ...BECAUSE if we hadn't meddled, Israel wouldn't exist and the Palestinians would still have all of their homeland for themselves.

I truly, truly wish we had never meddled.

I also wish US would stop meddling by sending Israel billions of dollars of 'aid' each year.

[edit on 8-9-2010 by wcitizen]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Thats why Im suggesting that any force which is to be sent there, ought to be given absolute instructions to eliminate any and all threats to its safety and the safety of the peace process. They should also be the heaviest armed and armoured force in the region. Thier every 4x4 will need to be ten times stronger than a tank, and thier every tank stronger than an atom bomb shelter.
They ought to be a completely and utterly irepressable force, in order to ensure that no one gets through thier cordons, or escapes thier fury in the event of a break of the rules.
Basicaly what I am saying is that the two sides should be FORCED to agree on pain of absolute destruction by the UN. That would shut them the hell up. Im not usualy one to suggest such a thing because ordinarily that kind of heavy handedness would ring as totalitarian ... but with these two idiot governments battling all the time, Im so sick of it I almost wish the UN would turn the place to glass, as a reminder of how you do and do not behave!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Yeah I am aware of Israel's history.

I am just an "Isolationist" militaristically speaking.

I do not think it's worth sending troops over to foreign lands to hold something that will eventually be lost anyways.

But then again, I am not profiting from their gains either. And even if I was profiting from it, it would probably feel crappy because I know theres blood all over that money.

But then again after a third retrospect, I've never seen money that didn't have blood on it in the first place. So I guess it's pretty circular logic.

But I am for sure against "meddling" in the affairs of other nations especially considering I don't profit at all in any way from it. In fact it's a detriment to me financially, as I have to pay tax and bankroll the interventions. As do people in most globalized national powers.

Anyways I am just rambling. I'll say one last time though, we need to get the hell out of these people's affairs. Let em kill each other I don't care. Let the old British and French colonies figure out their own destiny without us.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
International peace keepers are useless unless the 2 sides have already stopped fighting, i.e. Cyprus.

Everywhere else they have proved to be useless.

That's why the Israelis don't want to entertain the idea, they want someone who can actually stop the rockets from raining down on them, and that isn't an impotent bunch of losers like the UN.

top topics

join