It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I never voted for anything in my whole life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
not so much as a junior high school class president.
i was in third grade when jfk was shot-
and had already been cheated by a carney.
i dont recognize "authority figures"
unless there's a gun to my head.
i do recognize when i am being lied to.
and i see how this place i was born at
is ruled by force of arms.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by p51mustang

Im not sure if this has been posted before; I am sure it has because it is so great and so relevant. If not, here it is. If so, it is worth posting again. Basically,to summarize--he twists the old adage of 'if you don't vote then you have no right to complain'. He turns it around and says 'if you DO vote, you have no right to complain' because you know that you are voting for dishonest and incompetent people (or the lesser of two evils). So when the person you voted for starts acting dishonest and incompentent you have no right to complain because you knew they were going to be dishonest and incompetent when you voted for them.

Watch the video, George explains it better than I. Also, it's George Carlin so obvioulsy NSFW language. Enjoy.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by Nikolam] Edit to add video....Duh.

Also, not sure it i am doing it right. The script prompt says to, "Please enter the the You Tube video number". What exactly is the video number? Anyway, here is the URL just in case:

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 7-9-2010 by Nikolam]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I vote, not because it seems to make a difference. But because I get this cool sticker to wear on my shirt and it stops people from constantly asking me on election day, "Did you vote, yet?"

I never had a third class president to vote for. And I was in 5th grade when JFK was murdered. Up until I was in 7th grade, our class "leaders" were selected by teachers. I never agreed with their choices, though. And it all was, pretty much BS, anyway. Yay! A kid toes the establishments line and is selected to be the better citizenstudent than me! Yeah, uh huh.

These were always the school bullies who hid it well from the teachers, or the cutest girl in the class, who was a fugly person inside when she interacted with other students out of eyesight and earshot of the teachers.

And when we students finally got the chance to vote for class officers, still, it was the same sort of student who was elected. Due to the administration and teachers having veto power over who was actually allowed to be on the list of candidates.

And in 9th grade, when a group of "bad boys" dressed up in Sgt. Pepper costumes and played "Purple Haze" in the yearly student talent contest and won the popular vote, the principal overrode the vote and selected the winner. Sheesh, a weak sung song from some Broadway feel good show, by, you guessed it! The popular cute girl who, as I recall, ended up a junkie prostitute! lol lol lol

And it seems elections have been "fixed" ever since.

Thank you, U.S. public school system for really teaching me something!

But, I do still vote. Not that I vote, necessarily, for the candidates who have been force fed upon the public. If there is no candidate worthy, I write in the name of the person I think should really be elected.

By the way, this got me tossed out of a polling place once. I was taking too long to vote. Yes, I was supposed to be allowed 5 minutes to select my votes, but after about 2 minutes,, I began to be harrassed by the poll volunteers for taking too long. A douche opened the curtain and told me to leave, now! And I protested loudly! I had a lot of names to write in, ya know? I have never seen the local po po arrive to a scene of a crime so fast! Heh. if they only had arrived that quickly when my ma's security alarm went off when a couple of thugs broke into her house, assaulted her, stole her pitifully cheap jewelry and cash, and her back was broken.

By the way, I was told I was "not allowed" to write in a candidate's name, who hadn't jumped through the myriad of hoops, to be allowed his/her name to be written in on the ballot.

Jeeze, it's like primary school, junior high and high school still!

By the way, I live in a great county now. Not that it's all roses and unicorns, but i can write in candidates' names and take as much time as needed, unless there's a really long line. Then the 5 minute rule applies. But I avoid the early morning and late afternoon rush. Sometimes I think I wake the poll volunteers up when I walk in the door.

Yes, there's more than one meaning to that last statement.

I hope I didn't get too far off the subject of the OP. I don't think I did at all.

I think I understand the OP's position of why he/she doesn't vote, Maybe, maybe not. Maybe just my interpretation?

But I don't need a gun pointed at my head to vote. Most likely, a gun would have to be pointed at my head to STOP me from voting. And I'm not at all sure how that would turn out, eventually, either.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Why would you? I mean if you actually love your country and take it seriously. Out of respect for all the fallen hero's of the past conflicts.

Why would you vote for any of these stand-up comic clowns. There isn't a real leader in all of Washington D.C. I have never seen a reason to vote
since I was of legal age. In fact it just gets progressively worse.

You are a Patriot.

Please remember not to vote!

[edit on 7-9-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I am not consistent with my voting. Some years I vote and some I don't. Rarely do I vote in the Presidential elections, because it just seems like you are being told to vote for the lesser of two evils (which in the end, you are still voting for evil). I usually vote in the local elections (City Council, County Commissioner, Judges, etc) because they are the ones who will be affecting me personally. When I do vote locally, more than likely I am voting just to help get someone out of office (usually one of our borderline retarded Fayetteville City Council members).

Unfortunately, I have never gotten the great feeling I was always told that you get from voting. I usually just feel like I wasted an hour of my day or that I have just sold myself out.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
my grandfather was in WWl and was the mayor of my village.
-they talked a bunch of poor dumb country boys
to go kill a bunch of other dumb country boys-
so i gathered.
viet nam - explain the honor of that..
and again we are in the opium fields
of afghanistan this time.
what a surprise.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I always vote. In the General Election I've usually voted Labour, although after growing tired of 'New Labour' I voted Liberal Democrat in 2005 and Green this year.

The last few General Elections have been little better than protest votes for me (since I live in a decidedly Conservative area) but to me that's better than not voting at all.

I just hope that Proportional Representation will be brought in at some point, and this country actually becomes a true democracy.

top topics

join