It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burning the Quran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Pressure rises on pastor who wants to burn Quran

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The government turned up the pressure Tuesday on the head of a small Florida church who plans to burn copies of the Quran on Sept. 11, warning him that doing so could endanger U.S. troops and Americans everywhere.

news.yahoo.com...

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

[edit on Tue Sep 7 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by blue_fish

The government cannot make people burn or ban books, but anyone can burn any book he or she wants! Just like when Iran burns the bible(as they have) But we dont put people in jail for owning the bible or koran,like they do in Iran if you have a bible you go to jail there so, I think burn any book you want any time you want.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by slinger

Jail for being in possession of a bible in Iran?
Is that for real or just heresay?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by slinger

Bibles are not illegal in Iran. There are Christians and Jews in Iran and they have their holy places, churches and synagogues.

ETA: There are sites that claim Christians are arrested for having Bibles, but this makes no sense, since they are permitted to have their places of worship.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
The time has come to put this isidious cult on notice for what it is. This individual has made a stand, backing down now only emboldens the Muslims throughout the globe. Through out the world Christians are being killed by this religion and nothing but silence. Today is the 27th day of "Ramada" and over eight hundred people have died during this Muslim observence. There deaths are directly linked to this so called religion of peace. You be the judge.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by lestweforget

I looked it up some time ago when they had the riots last year some students where arrested for having a bible,never heard what the result was? And why did the US army burn free bibles sent to afghanistan?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Here are a couple of links talking about Christians and Jews being free to worship in Iran. The one article refers to a church being closed, but that seems to be due to the members trying to convert Muslims. It's not right to close a church for this reason, but it does not seem that either Christianity or Judaism are banned in the country.

www.payvand.com...
www.sephardicstudies.org...

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by slinger

Bibles are not illegal in Iran. There are Christians and Jews in Iran and they have their holy places, churches and synagogues.

ETA: There are sites that claim Christians are arrested for having Bibles, but this makes no sense, since they are permitted to have their places of worship.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

You see if you can build a christian church in Iran never happen,and there are no synagogues in Iran,It is and illegal religion in Iran! Every mosk in Iran has a government poster that says destruction to Israel !
I seen it on Rick Steves travels in Europe,with my own eyes,He could not shake a woman's hand for fear she would be arrested,they had a government guide with him 24/7! Try to build one in Saudi Arabia too,and see how far you get?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by slinger

I will post this again, jsut for you. There are Jews and synagogues in Iran.

Tehran has 11 functioning synagogues, many of them with Hebrew schools. It has two kosher restaurants, and a Jewish hospital, an old-age home and a cemetery. There is a Jewish representative in the Iranian parliament. There is a Jewish library with 20,000 titles, its reading room decorated with a photograph of the Ayatollah Khomeini.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

Here are a couple of links talking about Christians and Jews being free to worship in Iran. The one article refers to a church being closed, but that seems to be due to the members trying to convert Muslims. It's not right to close a church for this reason, but it does not seem that either Christianity or Judaism are banned in the country.

www.payvand.com...

Oh did I tell you I am Armenian

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by slinger

Nope, but thanks for that.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by slinger You see if you can build a christian church in Iran never happen,and there are no synagogues in Iran,It is and illegal religion in Iran!

and now for the facts:

List of synagogues in Iran:

Kenisa-ye Bozorg (Mirakhor's kenisa) (Isfahan)
Abdollah Zadeh Synagogue (Tehran)
Abrishami Synagogue (Tehran)
Bagh Saba Synagogue (Tehran)
Del Rahim Synagogue (Shiraz)
Ettefagh Synagogue (Tehran)
Ettehad Synagogue (Tehran)
Haim Synagogue (Tehran)
Fakhrabad Synagogue (Tehran)
Kenisa-ye Bozorg (Hamadan)
Kenisa-ye Bozorg (Sanandaj)
Kenisa-ye Bozorg (Shiraz)
Kenisa-ye Kamal (Yazd)
Kenisa-ye Keter David (Isfahan)
Kenisa-ye Kohanim (Shiraz)
Kenisa-ye Molla (Shiraz)
Kenisa-ye Molla Mishi (Shiraz)
Kenisa-ye Molla Owram (Shiraz)
Kenisa-ye Molla Rabbi (Isfahan)
Kenisa-ye Rabbizadeh (Shiraz)
Kenisa-ye Sang-bast (Isfahan)
Kenisa-ye Shokr (Shiraz)
Khorassaniha Synagogue (Shiraz)
Kohan Synagogue (Tehran)
Kourosh Synagogue (Tehran)
Lubian Synagogue (Tehran)
Mahariv Synagogue (Tehran)
Mullah Jacob Synagogue (Isfahan)
Mullah Neissan Synagogue (Isfahan)
Nosrat Synagogue (Tehran)
Rafi Nia Synagogue (Tehran)
Rah-e Danesh Synagogue (Tehran)
Synagogue of Gisha (Tehran)
Tafian (Hakim)(pesyan) Synagogue (Tehran)
Yusef Abad Synagogue (Tehran)
Zargarian Synagogue (Tehran)

the WiKi is your friend...or not.

Shall I put down the rather long list of christian churches in Iran, or does it really matter.

you "feel" they dont allow it, so facts dont matter, aye?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
This is a point of contention at this time in the US. Are there those Iranians in Iran who are not muslim, yes, there are Jews and Christians, however, they keep a very low profile about their religion and tend to be very careful about what they do, knowing that any misstep would have consequences for them, their families and communities.
The question of burning the Quar'an in Florida has come up before the country, and it has been brought to the forefront of the mind of the nation, as much as the Cordova Initiatives question of building a community center/Mosq close to the ground zero site in New York City.
After considering all of the arguments for and against on the buring of the Quar'an, by this church, the following conclusions can be made from such:
We are a nation of laws, and seek for equal justice for everyone in our country. We seek to set ourselves apart from the rest of the world at large. While so many other countries, both free and not so free, seek to curve the speech and acts of speech against its population in this day and age, I would state that we should allow for this church to do such and to stand up with one voice to defend their actions, no matter how distasteful it may seem to many. The country is involved in an armed conflict against the extremist in the Islamic population of the world, and like all conflicts we are going to have to offend those who we are fighting. The message and line must be drawn, stating to the world that we do have the right to do such, as it is protected in our laws and not let the world dictate to this country what we can and can not do. We should not cower in fear, go into the darkness afraid of what the world may or may not think of us, nor should be apologize for the actions of a group who are choosing to exercise their right to speak and demonstrate freely in a country where such is exercised by its citizens. If the laws and politicians seek to curb the freedom of speech and this act now, then it will open the door to a time where it would affect everyday life. Not so long ago, stating or even being a member of a political group or stating the ideas that were unpopular by the general population would get a person imprisoned or even assulted. Those who boldly stood up for the rights and equal justice of all would, not approve of such actions by this church, but would support its right to do such as part of the freedom of speech. This freedom, is one that we all need to protect, no matter what is stated or done, for if we do not, limiting one from doing such, then it could open the door to more laws that would curtail speech in other areas. Think about it, by denying the right of this Church to do this action, then the government could state, that the church could not state what it views as morally correct, to even where speaking out against the government could get a person thrown in jail or even denied the right to work or live in a community.
No I do not suppor the burning of any book, as I believe that there is too much ignorance in the world, and to do such would only add to it. But I will defend their right to do such, even at the point of taking the first blow for them as I do believe that strongly in the freedom of speech.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by slinger You see if you can build a christian church in Iran never happen,and there are no synagogues in Iran,It is and illegal religion in Iran!

and now for the facts:

List of synagogues in Iran:

Kenisa-ye Bozorg (Mirakhor's kenisa) (Isfahan)
Abdollah Zadeh Synagogue (Tehran)
Abrishami Synagogue (Tehran)
Bagh Saba Synagogue (Tehran)
Del Rahim Synagogue (Shiraz)
Ettefagh Synagogue (Tehran)
Ettehad Synagogue (Tehran)
Haim Synagogue (Tehran)
Fakhrabad Synagogue (Tehran)
Kenisa-ye Bozorg (Hamadan)
Kenisa-ye Bozorg (Sanandaj)
Kenisa-ye Bozorg (Shiraz)
Kenisa-ye Kamal (Yazd)
Kenisa-ye Keter David (Isfahan)
Kenisa-ye Kohanim (Shiraz)
Kenisa-ye Molla (Shiraz)
Kenisa-ye Molla Mishi (Shiraz)
Kenisa-ye Molla Owram (Shiraz)
Kenisa-ye Molla Rabbi (Isfahan)
Kenisa-ye Rabbizadeh (Shiraz)
Kenisa-ye Sang-bast (Isfahan)
Kenisa-ye Shokr (Shiraz)
Khorassaniha Synagogue (Shiraz)
Kohan Synagogue (Tehran)
Kourosh Synagogue (Tehran)
Lubian Synagogue (Tehran)
Mahariv Synagogue (Tehran)
Mullah Jacob Synagogue (Isfahan)
Mullah Neissan Synagogue (Isfahan)
Nosrat Synagogue (Tehran)
Rafi Nia Synagogue (Tehran)
Rah-e Danesh Synagogue (Tehran)
Synagogue of Gisha (Tehran)
Tafian (Hakim)(pesyan) Synagogue (Tehran)
Yusef Abad Synagogue (Tehran)
Zargarian Synagogue (Tehran)

the WiKi is your friend...or not.

Shall I put down the rather long list of christian churches in Iran, or does it really matter.

you "feel" they dont allow it, so facts dont matter, aye?

Kinda funny the people that live there don't know about any of these? Oh yeah its against the law to ask someone to convert so the 3 Jews in Iran are the last! But the Christians are doing well? well maybe not if you get your church shut down for asking people to join! but then again its against the law to ask someone to come to our church! hahahahah yeah Iran is so great for being so open and fair we should be just like them?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by flycatch
The time has come to put this isidious cult on notice for what it is. This individual has made a stand, backing down now only emboldens the Muslims throughout the globe. Through out the world Christians are being killed by this religion and nothing but silence. Today is the 27th day of "Ramada" and over eight hundred people have died during this Muslim observence. There deaths are directly linked to this so called religion of peace. You be the judge.

You speak as if their aren't christians killing Muslims...

It's called "Ramadan" by the way. That's also a fallacy of hasty generalization - that if 800 people commit so and so crime from what they say is there belief then the 1+ billion people who follow it must also be like them.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by slinger

Clearly nobody opens links, so I will once again post this one:

While Jewish communities in Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Egypt, Morocco and Algeria have all but vanished, Iran is home to 25,000 - some here say 35,000 - Jews. The Jewish population is less than half the number that lived here before the Islamic revolution of 1979. But the Jews have tried to compensate for their diminishing numbers by adopting a new religious fervor.

Not everyone in the Jewish community favors liberalization of Iranian society. Arizel Levihim, 20, a prospective Hebrew teacher, said Judaism has fared better within the confines of Iran's strictly religious society. ''I believe it is good for women to keep their head covered. I think it is good to restrict relations between boys and girls,'' Levihim said. ''I agree with the ideals of the Islamic republic. These are Jewish values too."

Clearly far more than 3 Jews. Some feel oppressed and have fled, though Khomeini did issue a fatwa stating that Jews are to be protected. And some Jews in Iran are comfortable and have no intention of going anywhere.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
If people can put a crucifix in a jar of urine and call it art, surely a quran can be burned. I mean, it is just a book, right?
I figure, damned if you do and damned if you don't, they're still gonna hate us no matter what, so it's time to fight fire with fire.
It's nothing more than a form of self defense.

I truly was opposed to this Quran burning day at first but now I say,
....BYOQ!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
what the flock is up with this so called "church"?
i suppose we may as well focus media attention on this.
with jerry springer..sponsored by jimmy dean sausage.
and saltine crackers.
let's have a wrestling match with mohammed vs. jesus..

top topics

join