It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toy Pony Sparks Bomb Scare In Orlando

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Toy Pony Sparks Bomb Scare In Orlando

www.wftv.com

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A child's toy sparked a bomb scare late Tuesday morning. The Orange County Bomb Squad was on scene investigating a suspicious device, a toy pony, on Whisper Glen Court in Orlando. Just before noon it was blown up.

The bomb squad sent a robot to investigate the toy pony.

The incident happened close to Waterbridge Elementary. The school was put on partial lockdown during the incident, but the lockdown has since been lifted.

Homes in the area were evacuated at the time.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
OK. Now we have a full bomb squad response to a stuffed pony that some kid forgot on the playground.

If this is where we are, clearly the terrorists and the government "war on terror" have won.

It will be interesting to see if there was some intelligence that raised an alert in the area. I doubt it. Just another over-reaction by the police state.

The way my kids leave stuff in the yard, I hope the bomb squad never comes over here. They'll be blowing up sneakers, wiffle balls and you name it all day long.

www.wftv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This is hilarious, guess that kids mum has some sewing to do!
I remember a bomb scare caused at my primary when someone left a bag near the urinal, but at least someone actually made a prank call to justify the fuss.

I wonder if the police would do it to a real pony? You know when your betting at the races, and say "there’s a bomb inside the horse, in front" before you know it some policeman fires an RPG, sending it right over the finishing line!

But maybe they might have been acting of specific stupidity? Can’t we all imagine, evil caveman (Osama) being worshipped by his minions as he prepares our kids "a bright Christmas"? (Whilst frequently taking breathing breaks, against his dialysis machine of course!).

But bravo to Orlando for creating a climate of Paranoia. (Just legalise weed and your mission could be accomplished!)

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
From the source article:

Source

What is happening in this country, that people are so afraid due to goverment propaganda, that they are now afraid of stuffed animals.

Too funny.

fix link

[edit on 7-9-2010 by PacificBlue]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Toy Pony stop trying to be a bomb! You're not even made of explosive material; you are made of love and sparkles. You can't even explode.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Stop with the "Overresponse".
a) toys of any kind are not allowed on school property, when brought by students.
b) children around here know that, as well as thier parents.
c) we have a high rate of child molesters that slip into neighborhoods around schools, and use props and decoys.
d) something out of place like that SHOULD be reported.

I love how many on this board act like, people who like bombs would NEVER use a child's toy or harm innocents. You scrutinize and parse words in a report or news article but when it comes to using your outside senses you fall flat. Oh I forgot ....every bomb that goes off or is found or is a false call ,is solely a conspiracy by the U.S., Israel, Illuminati, Masons, Aliens, Reptilians, etc. etc. etc.

P.S. There ARE people in this world who DO have mental defects thatt enjoy or aim to harm children. There are also those whom revel in the anonymous attention that bombscares bring.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

There is a place in this world for judgement. People have been using props in warfare since the Trojan Horse. Of course toys can be used as bombs.

The creation of this hyper-vigilant state breeds an insular, suspicious society that is void of trust. That is more harmful than the occasional bomb, however tragic the outcome of that would be.

It is also impossible to properly or effectively provide this level of scrutiny in society, therefore blowing up a toy pony creates a false sense of security.

I live on a beach. Every day there are things that folks forget or things that wash up on the shore. Should there be a bomb squad attached to beach duty, blowing up all of that stuff? I would rather take my chances on picking up an old float and have it be a bomb than have dudes in flack jackets with robots roaming the beach, but that is just me.

Either the threat is larger than the government is telling us it is, in which case we should be doing more or this is a case of massive over-reaction.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
whats hilarious to me is i came across one of these ponies by a dumpster
and have been pranking friends with it.
it actually is very sturdy-
with wiring and such..

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

I love how many on this board act like, people who like bombs would NEVER use a child's toy or harm innocents.

Djvexd you’re really patronising if you don’t think everyone of us is aware that there is a real terrorist threat; just like there is say a: real (roughly 6 times bigger) threat from lightening fatalities.

See question 19 of this information Quiz…

19. What are the Annual Risks for an American to die from: Heart disease? Criminal homicide? Lightning strike? Terrorism?
-Heart disease: 1 in 300 people in America typically die of heart disease in a given year; Criminal homicide: 1 in 18,000; Lightning strike: 1 in 3,000,000; Terrorism: 1 in 5,293,000. (Alan B. Krueger; What Makes a Terrorist: Economics and the Roots of Terrorism; Princeton University Press; New Jersey: 2007; p. 139)

Source: www.countercurrents.org...

The problem is not we don’t understand there are people evil who harm children; rather media “fear selling” (and government war propaganda) no longer keep us deluded enough, to be incapable of keeping everyday reality in perspective.

You’re the blind one for not being to see how aware people are becoming (even when it’s in their humour, right in front of you). I'd say: Think for yourself a bit more, then you will be less scared of (almost) imaginary risks.
Think about it: If there had been no TV on 9/11, would it have affected our politics much more than say a minor natural disaster? The human brain simply wasn’t created to assess news-TV; many people think its part of their everyday sanity, but it really is, quite the very opposite.

P.S We are well aware there could be a public outcry if they hadn’t blown up the Pony. (I’d be well annoyed if I had to wait outside, during a bomb alert, and police hadn’t provided any entertainment!)

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

So the whole intent of attempting to justify your position is to post a pseudo analytical geopolitical website?

Nice italics by the way. So, as loud as you want to scream things on the internet, the fact that things seriously out of place within schoolhouses where there are children , is unacceptable. If it requires a bomb squad to come out and look at it and destroy it....so be it. I would think by your post you might be a demolitions and sex crimes expert. Are you? Because I would feel safer knowing that you are looking out for my daughter if you could ensure that somehow you would be able to use those skills. ( THAT was patronization)

[edit on 7-9-2010 by djvexd]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

Since when is a kid's toy pony considered "out of place" in a school yard? Kids bring stuff to school, regardless of the "rules". Perhaps it was due to the idiotic rules at the school that caused the kid to take his pony out of his backpack and toss it lest he jet jammed up in school.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

This is the reddit stype zinger I like to see

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

When was the last time you visited an elementary school? You base your view on the overall view that kids bring toys to school. While that may be true on a clandestine level, it is overall not allowed and the students can and will get sent home if not the toy confiscated. Look, I understand that it is a place for children wwhom play with toys as such and I DO NOT agree with the policies, however the rules are there. And for the most part the parents and children know about this and maintain the rule because it causes distraction from learning. SO with the framework and rules in place, to find something like that just sitting out i the open, while ;yes, could be extrapolated as a kid sneaking it in and forgetting it, the reality of it is: If a kid brought it from home, he or she would be more than compelled to retrieve a toy they forgot. The administration took a proper and intelligent step when something like that is left around.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

I've got 4 kids in elementary school and am pretty involved, mostly coaching sports. I'm on the campus at least three times a week.

Personally I would be outraged if a bunch of commandos came to the school and blew something up.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

As for my earlier aspertion that you did not have kids, I am sorry, mouth overriding brain. But with that said, how can you possibly sit there and allow your children to be put at risk as such. I have one in Middle School, one just starting High School and one just out of Pre-K. If these admins had not of acted and called the cops and something would have happened, what would have been the headline then? I know, I know....if if if. There are too many mentally unstable individuals out there to NOT act on items that are out of context. Florida is a breeding ground for mentally unstable people. You are right, we might have to agree to disagree my friend.

edit on 8-9-2010 by djvexd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

I just think it more likely to have some hyped-up SWAT gent letting loose a round and hurting someone than I am that there is a bomb somewhere.

Look at what happens at airports today. Somebody leaves a carry-on bag (they have the carry-on bag because the airline charges a fortune now to check bags) at their seat and the entire terminal is evacuated. They get the bag and its full of underwear and t-shirts. Thousands of travellers delayed, lost of cash lost to the economy.

It may be true that the airport deal is warranted. All I am suggesting is that there is a little perspective in how these things are managed.

As far as schools go, they are laden with stupid rules. Kids getting suspended for having a nail clipper on them, high school kids being suspended for giving a friend with a headache an asprin, kids getting in trouble for drawing a picture that has someone holding a gun, no dodgeball. Schools today are failing on the education front while the administrators continue to imagine they can create this utopian environment, which of course is impossible.

If I was as concerned about the safety of my kids in their current schools, I would seriously consider changing schools or moving to a different district.

join