It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what happpens to you if/when Abrahamic faiths are proven to be true?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Since many people have posed this question in the other thread, I figured I might as well make this thread. Suppose you had a time machine that goes back and discover many of the biblical histories are true, saw that the Jews were visited by a God, that there was a man named Jesus who did do miraculous things like raise the dead, or saw Mohammed actually being visited by an angel. Or perhaps God actually came to you and said that they were real. What would happen to you and society as a whole if it was proven that it was true?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
LOL My head would explode. Not worried though cause I cannot reconcile the inconsistencies in religion and therefore do not beleive in a literary basis for the scriptures.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
To answer your questions, what happens to you -depends on if you believed or not...

People that refused to even consider that it might all be true will be very disappointed I am sure.

In my life I have heard so many honest testimonies from friends and relatives about their experiences with the supernatural, and have seen and heard things myself that proved to me that God is in fact real and loves the people of the earth (for some reason I can't fathom) , but yet it reamins answered for me...

All it takes is that first step... What is the first step? shed the old clothes of personal arrogance and pride and it allows the heart to truly see what was once impossible to consider.

(don't bother telling this to card carrying athiests though, they will never budge..) arrogance , bitterness, and self pride they love far more..

hows that for baiting

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

The problem is with Bible Codes which were encoded the last time Doctor Who-sorry Yahweh was up this end of the time space continuim are becoming increasingly innacurate and off the mark,especially since 2001,which suggests to me God might have some competition.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

I agree that there is something which is called God. The Abrahamic religions have their theology to explain this phenomena but the eastern traditions hold their view too and they may be similar in some respects but as far as people (Abraham, moses, ets.) these are irrelivant and have been taken as literal to the detriment of religious purpose. I am not ignorant and do beleive in the supernatural even though it is beyond our comprehension. That doesn't mean I'm gonna run to a religion that claims it has the answers to the unanswerable and says that their book holds all the secrets. Sure there is much to learn from these books but to take them literally and to beleive them as such is to limit yourself even moreso than you claim atheists do. I lean towards taoist thinking. Their views make sense to me.

'I had an experience I can't understand, what is it?'

'Well there is this guy on a cloud and he had a son and this son was brought to earth and we killed him. Your experience was him talking to you telling you to repent for your wickedness and swear devotion to him always or your soul will burn forever'

'Holy sheeet, okay I beleive, I beleive, just don't hurt me.

LOL

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Maybe it can be answered like this. I cant believe what I am seeing? or this isn't happening? Even though it is. The Irony of it is that most would question their own senses,especially if they were skeptical to begin with. What turns people off on belief,is religion.Period

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Hopefully I will immediately be judged and sent to hell for all eternity. Then all my questions would be answered and I won't be stuck in this twisted purgatory any more.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

It's as simple as this, provide me empiral evidence and validation of any abrahamic religion and i will cease to be an Atheist.

It really is as simple as that.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Titan Uranus

yep what you said is pretty much it

I was raised a Christian, babtized at 12 years old and always believed in Christ's existance...

But I didn't always take it seriously and then in my early adult years I got in to things that I shouldn't have and then one day was literally yanked away from my body and suddenly was facing Christ..
It was like instant teleportation to "elsewhere" He told me I wasn't fulfilling my end of things very well and gave me a choice to either straiten up or forfiet immediately... I felt real panic and promised to do better. I said something that sounded feeble and silly which made him laugh! I am not kidding... Then he said farewll and I was back at home sitting down where I was before, fully awake..

The whole time that was occuring I was hardly able to believe it..
People say they have a hard time believing just from hearing or reading about it... It isn't any easier to believe it when you are standing before the son of man. But it happens to people, I am not the only one that this has happened to.

I have rarely shared this with anyone and admit some fear of ridicule, but now I think it is more important to share the experience regardless if anyone belives it or not. It is what I was told to do, to tell people that he cares even though it may not seem like it down here.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
It would be very difficult for all the abrahamic faiths to be true, since they disagree and contradict each other. You would have to have 3 different alternate universes and make a different trip in each one. If these universes came in contact they would instantly annihilate all matter and time.

I will choose one faith to be true in the time travel machine. Lets say I went back in time and found Christianity to be true. The rapture and "end times" would have already happened since Jesus told his apostles that it would happen in their generation. We would be living in paradise today. Something is wrong because that is not the case. It must be an alternate (fictional) universe. I can do the same for the other 2 religions if you want it.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

I guarantee you if you were raised in another culture with another religion you may have had the same experience and attributed it to something other than the abrahamic god. For one simple reason, you had not been indictrinated in that religion. We manifest what we know. If you had an experience of something not aligned with your upbringing I would offer you more credance. There is something, and you must have confidance in your experiences but to me religion is limiting. the way I see it your experience was your conscience (parents, superego, ego etc) pulling you back in line. This manifested itself in ways you could understand, guilt fear etc within the presence of what you call god. I do not wish to demeen the power behind the conscience and that which animates us and constitutes our will, but your experience was precipitated by indoctrination and hence you saw what you beleived to be the god of your faith. If its workin for ya I'm happy for you but if that experience has you taking all scriptures as literal and degrading all other faiths as fools worshipping false gods then more negative than positive has come about due to this. Not saying that you do but polarised division is the pitfall of religion.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by BillfromCovina

I said if one of the three is true. Either Christianity, Judaism, or Islam. Suppose it's either Jesus being crucified and resurrected, or Mohammed being visited by an angel you can see.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by 547000]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I would be pissed. Then I would have to live an eternity under a vengeful god. I would go into exile

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I guess I'd be pretty annoyed. I wouldn't be happy one bit that the person that supposedly created me wants me to attend to his every beck and call. I'd still think he's a lousy prick that just hates everyone.

Maybe it's that quality in the Abrahamic God that resonates within me?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillfromCovina
It would be very difficult for all the abrahamic faiths to be true, since they disagree and contradict each other.

Oh we have a winner. Not taking sides at this moment the term "Abrahamic Faiths" only complicates the matter 10 fold.

One thing you can do here is bring in Abrahams wife Sarah, read up about her.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
Since many people have posed this question in the other thread, I figured I might as well make this thread. Suppose you had a time machine that goes back and discover many of the biblical histories are true, saw that the Jews were visited by a God, that there was a man named Jesus who did do miraculous things like raise the dead, or saw Mohammed actually being visited by an angel. Or perhaps God actually came to you and said that they were real. What would happen to you and society as a whole if it was proven that it was true?

Abrahimic Faiths?

Aren't both Jews and Christians Abrahimic faiths.

They can't both be true. Don't you mean if Chrisitanity is true since Jesus isn't the Messiah according to Jews.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Say if the christain religon is true, or the muslim religon. Then i would gladly go to hell than worship a God that seems to be arragont and ignorant! I would be gutted if their God turned out to be real. But i am 100% certain that God exist from the christian/muslim religon, because to me, this God, and their religon was clearly made by man in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

i thought those events and individuals had been proven true.
i'm just not sure how many people i'm prepared to call liars. so i just believe them all.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware
reply to post by 547000

It's as simple as this, provide me empiral evidence and validation of any abrahamic religion and i will cease to be an Atheist.

It really is as simple as that.

it's not that simple. it would still be an atheist judging the evidence, and an atheist has a certain invested interest (preserving their belief system) in not validating any evidence to the contrary.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I don't think the question is so hard to understand. Suppose Christianity, Judaism, or Islam was proven to be true, what happens to you or society?

In my opinion, even when presented with proof of one of those 3 religions most would act self-righteous and turn their backs on God. Or perhaps if truth was found, many would convert, then centuries later the proof (say, a prophet coming and raising the dead) would be lost or considered false and in the future people would think we were primitive for believing in such a thing.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by 547000]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join