It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Research finds repressed memories don't exist

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I have never subscribed to the idea of repressed memories and recently found this item of interest. Looking for repressed memories may actually generate them.

www.abc.net.au...

'The idea that traumatised people, especially the victims of child sexual abuse, deliberately repress horrific memories goes all the way back to the 19th century and the theories of Sigmund Freud himself.

But now some experts are saying the evidence points the other way.

Professor Grant Devilly, from Griffith University's Psychological Health research unit, says the memory usually works in the opposite way, with traumatised people reliving experiences they would rather forget.

"It's the opposite. They wish they couldn't think about it," he said.

In a briefing to the US Supreme Court, Professor Richard McNally from Harvard University described the theory of repressed memory as "the most pernicious bit of folklore ever to infect psychology and psychiatry".'

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I can tell you from my own experience that repressed memories do exist.

I was sexually abused by my mother and brothers up until I became pregnant at 13 and was .. ok, can't go into the rest right now ...

After something pretty traumatic I changed, and was no longer afraid of anyone or anything, (except spiders
) realised my family were all enemies and stopped loving them, and fought off any who tried to touch me.

At 16 I was able to leave home and live with relatives while I kept studying, and was wholly caught up in a new school, new family, new friends, a whole new life in which I could dress in nice clothes, wear make-up, and learn about dating.

At that age, in those circumstances, I never gave a thought to my past. It was GONE. Instead I learned to have fun and work towards a future. It's hard to explain what it means to an isolated and constantly abused child to escape and live a normal life. Just being able to buy myself a little tub of yogurt at the supermarket felt like a miracle.

Some years later, as a young mother moving house, I sent my four year old daughter to stay with my parents for a couple of weeks. She came back a different kid, frightened, refusing to talk, bed-wetting, and playing up badly. But I just thought she'd not coped with being away from me. When she was six I again listened to my mother's pleas to take her for a holiday, skiing, and this time, when she returned, she was different again. But this time I could get her to talk.

Not only had my mother done things to her, but she'd then taken her to a deserted place in the snow and left her there, alone, after dark. And it was not just my daughter's story, my mother ended up admitting the latter part when I put it to her saying she had to because my daughter was evil.

When my daughter told me this I was violently ill, as all the memories came back, and suddenly it seemed I'd known all along, and couldn't understand why I hadn't realised I shouldn't leave my daughter with this woman. I still feel like vomiting with guilt at the thought of what I exposed my daughter to.

Many years later I've discovered that the problem was a split personality, or multiple personality syndrome. I've got a bunch of personalities as a result of the abuse and trauma I went through. Such things shatter a personality into fragments, and I ended up with a different personality for each place, and for each type of activity. One of these personalities was the one who had experienced the sexual abuse directly, and that one is still a frightened little child who rarely appears. There is another that is aware of the abuse, and several that were not. In later years, since turning 50, these personalities have begun to meld, and share memories.

Before melding, life was always a jigsaw with many pieces missing, but I was not even aware of the holes when they were pointed out. For example, a teacher commented in class that he'd seen me on the weekend at Healesville. I looked at him blankly, thinking he was off his head, and denied having even been to Healesville. Once I got home I knew I'd been to Healesville, but had no memory of this teacher mentioning it. Only much later could the one personality recall both.

By the way, it's usually called a disease, not a syndrome. I refuse to regard it as a disease, because it's a means of survival. It's been damaging in some ways, but it's also enabled me to grow and try new things and survive in this world.

I wonder how many other people have had their personalities shattered like this and thus "forgotten" important pieces of their past. There's no way I'm the only one who has experienced this.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Repressed memory help in giving the Hills ET adventure super credibility.
I came across something about these ET adventures.
ETs and Ancient Astronauts are Illuminati Propaganda

See the pick www.ivanfraser.com/articles/conspiracies/etagenda.html -
Use the Cached version as original is gone and did not check the rest.
Its as long winded as the tales it denounces but at least gives us cause
to denounce the intrusion on our space of gimmicks of deceit.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I've re-experienced repressed memories through self-hypnosis. I think for the most part the article is true, but at the same time, repressed memories are real.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I suffer from a seizure disorder and since having seizures, MANY "repressed" memories have returned....

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Thanks for posting your experience. I'm sorry for everything you've been through. I have a loved one in my life that seems to have gone through something very similar. I believe I also have developed some multiple personalities throughout my life based on different negative experiences. Maybe everyone does, but others may be more in control.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
My father repressed all his memories up until he was about 12. If some one tried to get him to remember he would go into shock. I think I've repressed about 4 years since I was clinically depressed I can only remember my up days and my really really down days nothing in between.and that was only about 6 years ago so it should be very clear.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SinkingSun

Thanks for posting your experience. I'm sorry for everything you've been through. I have a loved one in my life that seems to have gone through something very similar. I believe I also have developed some multiple personalities throughout my life based on different negative experiences. Maybe everyone does, but others may be more in control.

Well, the bad stuff that happens is all an opportunity to learn.

As one personality can stay unaware of any other, and the mind has its way of smoothing over the gaps in a personality's memory, there must be far more people with multiple personalities than are aware of it.

Your loved one is lucky to have you. It was when I finally found a friend who understood, and who loved the various mes*, that I started to feel that these mes were coming together inside and could feel whole again.

*Mes looks silly, but it's the plural of me.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
I have never subscribed to the idea of repressed memories and recently found this item of interest. Looking for repressed memories may actually generate them.

www.abc.net.au...

'The idea that traumatised people, especially the victims of child sexual abuse, deliberately repress horrific memories goes all the way back to the 19th century and the theories of Sigmund Freud himself.

But now some experts are saying the evidence points the other way.

Professor Grant Devilly, from Griffith University's Psychological Health research unit, says the memory usually works in the opposite way, with traumatised people reliving experiences they would rather forget.

"It's the opposite. They wish they couldn't think about it," he said.

In a briefing to the US Supreme Court, Professor Richard McNally from Harvard University described the theory of repressed memory as "the most pernicious bit of folklore ever to infect psychology and psychiatry".'

This kind of reminds me of the Mc Martin case(s) .. remember the "satanic panic" all during the early eighties until maybe the mid '90's? Everyone was inviolved in a satanic sacrifice or some freaky stuff.. and the psychologists were actually suggesting these "memories" though not purposely? We thought we knew it all then too.. experts from everywhere testified that satan was under every bed and in every daycare! LOL!

I figure some are less able to handle hard trauma and repress.. like a defense mechanism. Regardless of what a Harvard know it all maintains as the truth.. Im really not ready to call EVERY person who has repressed memories a liar. Just as I was not willing to believe the "experts" when they told me satanism was in darned near every daycare and every kid who didnt want to eat dinner was probably satanically sexually abused. WIth these 2 extremes.. NO repressed memories and repressed memories for everything.. I figure the truth lies in the middle somewhere.

me? I WISH I could repress things. My brain has OCD or Tourettes.. ugly things pop up all the time!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The whole ‘false memory’ concept is a complete hoax and a very sickening conspiracy. The False Memory Syndrome Foundation is comprised of a handful of so called ‘experts’ with questionable motives and ties. It was created to discredit anyone who tries to accuse the government or high ranking people of sexual abuse.

Look into who founded this organization, what their history is, who they’re connected to, what possible motives they might have, who they’ve defended with these claims, how little evidence they have in comparison to the contrary, and you’ll be able to see just how ridiculous and sinister their claim truly is.

False Memory Syndrome

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Epiphron

Thanks Epiphron, that explains a lot about the rapid spread of propaganda on "False Memory Syndrome."
Basically, it's a war waged by some powerful, perverted organisations on their victims.

It reminds me of the ventriloquist buying a farm in New Zealand. Having a bit of fun at the farmer's expense, he asked which animals could talk, explaining he only wanted the farm if at least three types of animals spoke English.

The farmer was astonished at this peculiar request, but took him to see the chickens anyway, explaining that they did sound just like his mother in law with their constant cackling. Seeing them, Bill, the ventriloquist, asked them if the farmer had treated them well.

And one appeared to answer back, "Him? He's a terrible man. He keeps us locked up here, cuts half our wings off, gives us the same mush to eat day after day and steals our eggs so our chickens never hatch!"

The ventriloquist looks at the farmer and shakes his head sadly, suggesting he take him to the cows to see what they think of him.
"But I'm sure the cows can't talk," says the farmer.

Nevertheless, Bill insists, and soon the farmer hears words coming from the mouth of his favourite cow.
"If that calf-stealer had an ounce of consideration he would at least warm his hands before milking me!"

Next Bill wants to interview the sheep.
The poor farmer, having prayed his animals would somehow talk, and believing his prayer was answered, is now praying they will shut up again.
"NO, no, not the sheep! Why them when there are so many other animals here. Look, I'll take you to see the ducks, the horses, the emus, the geese, they're all much more interesting."

"Why not the sheep?" asked Bill, puzzled.
"Well those sheep, you know what sheep are like. All the time they tell nothing but lies!"

The Main Individuals Involved in the Creation of The False Memory Syndrome Foundation

* F.M.S.F. EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS: Peter and Pamela Freyd (psychiatrists) - The Freyds were publicly exposed by their own daughter – Jennifer Freyd (professor of psychology) of child abuse and rape.

* F.M.S.F. FOUNDER: Ralph Underwager (psychiatrist) – The world’s foremost authority on false memory, but in the courtroom – is repeatedly exposed as a charlatan. He is a self confessed paedophile who quotes: It is “God’s Will” adults engage in sex with children.

* F.M.S.F. ORIGINAL BOARD MEMBERS: Martin Orn (psychiatrist) – Senior CIA Mind Control Researcher: Experimenting in hypnotic programming, dissolving memory and other mind subduing techniques.

* F.M.S.F. BOARD MEMBER: Dr. Harold Lief (psychiatrist) – CIA Mind Control Researcher. Experimenting in behavioural modification and hypnotic programming.

edit on 11/12/10 by Kailassa because: formatting

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine:

Having learned there is an agenda, being pushed by a highly suspect organisation, behind the denial of repressed memory syndrome, I decided to check out this McNally guy.

He's written a book, Remembering Trauma, and in it he promotes a theory I've heard from NAMBLA members.

Repression, Recurrence, and Representation

Thus, he writes (p. 161), with the emergence of the concept of child abuse there occurs “the phenomenon of restrospectively seeing events as abusive which were not directly and consciously experienced as such at the time,” a phenomenon in which there takes place “a radical re-evaluation of childhood experience, a reclassification, and in a way a re-experiencing of it.” Regarding this phenomenon, he asks (p. 162),

What happens to the woman who now comes to see herself as having been sexually abused? I am not referring to the person who has merely kept an awful private secret, who now may feel liberated by being able to talk about it, or oppressed by having it brought to surface consciousness again. I am referring to entering a new world, a world in which one was formed in ways one had not known. Consciousness is not raised but changed. Someone now sees herself as abused as a child, because she has a new concept in terms of which to understand herself. . . . Child abuse is a new kind that has changed the past of many people, and so changed their very sense of who they are and how they have come to be.

This idiot has the gall to suggest that people who have been sexually abused as children have no problem with it unless they learn it is labelled sexual abuse, and consequently start viewing themselves as abused.
This is not the logic of a sane adult. This is the logic of a raving paedophile who wants people to believe that it's all about "love" and is good for children.

And he goes on to say:

P. 96: “The final proximal [sic.] cause of PTSD may be the way the person interprets the meaning of the stressor. Ultimately, the psychological interpretation of the event may be the crucial determinant of whether it produces PTSD.”

In other words, his view is that children who were lucky enough to be used as sex-toys by adults will grow up fine if they're never told that is labelled as abuse.

Right . . .
And he's being promoted here as an authority to support the denial of repressed memory syndrome.

"Please, your worship, don't listen to those lambs. They're all such terrible liars!"

edit on 11/12/10 by Kailassa because: formatting

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Great research Kailassa, the existence of this organization truly is a despicable attempt at defending the vile crimes of child molesters. Not only do they defend these perverts, but they go to extreme lengths to harass and silence any psychologist who speaks out against them.

As a result of their extreme litigiousness, many therapists are fearful of standing up against them. Many have been legally harassed and at the very least, they get their license suspended. Others face extreme fines, jail time, huge settlements, etc. Just the act of being brought to court can be very damaging, not only to their image, but financially. The overwhelming financial burdens of being sued is usually enough to ward off anyone who threatens to expose this corrupt organization.

Here’s a link to an article about how the FMSF will not only attack, discredit, and harass the victims, but also the helpers of those victims, their therapists.
FMSF Harassment

Kailassa, I’m very sorry to hear about the traumatic events you’ve endured in the past. The fact that you’re here and well is a testament to the remarkable strength of spirit you have. Your courage to speak of your experiences is truly admirable. The only way to prevent sexual abuse from happening to more children is to spread awareness and expose the motives of those who are trying to suppress this awareness.

Also, have you ever seen a therapist? I know there are many who work with victims of abuse that have developed Dissociative Identity Disorder(multiple personality) and can assist in integrating the separate personalities.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
i hope that the repressed memories don't exist .as we know this bad memories do harm for the people .some life were ruined by these .the hard experience have a deep ompact on those person
can they really forget those entirly ?i don't think so

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

The research is BS because it's happened to me

It's your brain trying to forget the bad times.. I still can't remember 1st through 5th grade and I'm only 22.. Every time i try thinking about it, it gets cloudy and i feel confused..

I don't really know how to describe it other than cloudy...

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dccruibay

You don't 'forget' it; it's just DEEP in the brain and the repression comes from the subconscious not wanting to feel the same way you did when said thing happened..

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by squirelnutz

Very true, it’s a natural defense mechanism. In order for abused victims to be able to carry on with their day to day activities and live a normal life, it’s necessary that the mind compartmentalizes traumatic memories and buries them deep within our subconscious.

When someone goes through a traumatic experience, their senses are heightened, it’s a basic survival instinct. As a result, images, sounds, smells, words, and many other aspects of the event are stored along with the memory. So later on, these specific elements associated with an event can act as triggers and bring back the full memory. That’s sometimes how these repressed memories resurface and it can be quite disturbing remembering something that you forgot had happened to you.

It would be almost impossible for a child to grow up and live a productive life if they were constantly plagued by horrific memories of sexual abuse. Therefore, the mind stores it away and allows the person to 'forget'.

It's amazing how complex the human mind is. Although, the mind's ability to compartmentalize memories can also be exploited and used for evil. This is where Mind Control and Ritual Abuse Programming comes in. Very real, very scary stuff.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Epiphron

Great research Kailassa, the existence of this organization truly is a despicable attempt at defending the vile crimes of child molesters. Not only do they defend these perverts, but they go to extreme lengths to harass and silence any psychologist who speaks out against them.

The more you look into it, the more obvious it becomes there is something truly sinister backing the FMS pushers.

As a result of their extreme litigiousness, many therapists are fearful of standing up against them. Many have been legally harassed and at the very least, they get their license suspended. Others face extreme fines, jail time, huge settlements, etc. Just the act of being brought to court can be very damaging, not only to their image, but financially. The overwhelming financial burdens of being sued is usually enough to ward off anyone who threatens to expose this corrupt organization.

Here’s a link to an article about how the FMSF will not only attack, discredit, and harass the victims, but also the helpers of those victims, their therapists.
FMSF Harassment

For a year or so I saw Jeff Cummins, a foresic psych with a great reputation, who has been a "friend of the court" in many high-profile cases, who refused, many years back, to believe what I told him about my past. He said if it had been true I would have sued the people involved long ago, and would have sought help before this.

Sueing when the abuse was carried out by your whole family, and that family is well respected and has power, is not so easy. And I had sought help before, but, for various reasons, the psychs and councellors were useless. One, at the Austin hospital was worse than useless, and turned out to be a buddy of a psych, who was my sworn enemy, who was found by the courts to be one of the organisers behind "The Family". The Family was a CIA set up cult based in Healesville which stole babies by pretending to be adopting them out for teenage mothers and then changing the kids' names, experimented on them with drugs, starvation and torture, and sold children overseas. FSM had been used against these children when some grew older and took the cult to court.

He was a nice man, but not a brave one. No way would he have put his reputation on the line by standing up tp these arseholes.

Kailassa, I’m very sorry to hear about the traumatic events you’ve endured in the past. The fact that you’re here and well is a testament to the remarkable strength of spirit you have. Your courage to speak of your experiences is truly admirable. The only way to prevent sexual abuse from happening to more children is to spread awareness and expose the motives of those who are trying to suppress this awareness.

Thanks.
Yes, that's why I spoke up in this thread. One of the worst things about childhood sexual abuse is it leaves you with a different outlook to others, and with a huge secret in your heart which can rarely be told because people, even counselors, are likely to be shocked, upset or disbelieving. Old aquaintances get left behind because being around them brings back memories one can't bear, and new friends are hard to make when the experiences have left you wary and untrusting.
This aloneness helps drive a person to suicide or leave them disabled from anguish.

If people were more aware that these terrible things can have happened to someone who they know, and who has seemed just fine on the outside, (I have always had people turn to me because I'm "strong",) and understood that it's natural for the juvenile, overtortured psyche to bury these memories to allow the individual to survive and function, people who have suffered this way would have a much better chance of recovery.

I will always be grateful to a friend who listened to me, for years, with an open mind, and helped me so much.

Also, have you ever seen a therapist? I know there are many who work with victims of abuse that have developed Dissociative Identity Disorder(multiple personality) and can assist in integrating the separate personalities.

Seeking therapy is over for me. It's time to look forward, not back, and I'm too busy caring for someone with more immediate problems. But thanks for your caring suggestion.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

How is that foundation taken seriously?

Almost everyone on the board of directors has been accused of sexual abuse and/or works for the CIA..

Even the people that founded it were accused by their own daughter of sexual abuse; they told everyone she had brain damage, so she became a psychologist herself and they still say she made it up!

This is truly sickening..

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by squirelnutz

How is that foundation taken seriously?
Almost everyone on the board of directors has been accused of sexual abuse and/or works for the CIA..
Even the people that founded it were accused by their own daughter of sexual abuse; they told everyone she had brain damage, so she became a psychologist herself and they still say she made it up!
This is truly sickening..

Well, there are those magic three letters.

And - People who have had happy, well adjusted childhoods tend to regard authorities as benificient parental entities, and seeing anything to contradict that view interferes with their sense of safety and well-being. So, to regain happiness and safety, they push such things out of their minds and forget about them.

An immediate threat doesn't have to be great, when it comes on top of this threat to the ego, to convince even well educated professionals to look the other way.

People from childhoods which show the evils of mankind are less likely to get into positions of responsibility or power in the first place to fight such evils.

As the products of a long evolutionary selection for social beings, most humans will instinctively hand over the reins of their own thinking to the nearest powerful authority figure.

Of course this can be used, by learning to imbue one's comportment and speech with "authority".
Many is the scrape I've got out of that way.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join