It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who decides what sin is?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
So me and my friend where talking about the comedy of Dante's Inferno and I asked that since the church has a history of lying who's to say that the sins they say are sins, are sins? How do we know what God thought of as as bad is actually different than our view on it? And how does the church know that the punishments in hell are separated depending on what you do?

So many questions but i feel they are important in understanding the world around us and learning to question the common knowledge. And to the mods please move this if this is the wrong spot.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
My Brother,

I understand that some see these things as complex. I see it simple. That which you would not want done to you, do not do to another. That is sin, and your heart will tell you.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I don't think I could honestly say the church has a history of lying exactly, the people who have ran it over the time have however. When Dante wrote the inferno it was a time where people wanted to know and thought very deeply about such things, they didn't have the TV and the Radio to give them ADHD, they considered things far more thoroughly than we do today.

To decide what sin is, is very easy really. You look at the fruit it produces if it produces hate, anger, despair, poor health and resentment in you and those around you, it isn't of God and therefore sin. If it produces love, joy, hope, good health and forgiveness it is of God therefore not sin. hope that answers your question it is simply the best explanation I can give you.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The Churches will always be wrong because they already worship a man who proclaimed him self as God. That is a big no no in Judaism.
www.myjewishlearning.com...
Judaism > Christianity.
www.messiahtruth.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM
My Brother,

I understand that some see these things as complex. I see it simple. That which you would not want done to you, do not do to another. That is sin, and your heart will tell you.

With Love,

Your Brother

Hehe true very true.

A person who has a viced plan will know about its content before he commits it into action.

We humans tent to judge other for the sins they have committed, even though the judge's are just as guilty of committing their own sins.

Judges can judge others because we have given our selves the power to do so, by creating a law.

I my self haven't voted for these laws, I bet non of you have. You are all borne to fallow them by free will or force.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Jovi1

I don't believe that watching TV causes ADHD and I also can say that ADHD has nothing to do about thinking about anything

Also, by your logic

If it produces love, joy, hope, good health and forgiveness it is of God therefore not sin.
Then if i do things that produce such feelings then it is of God which therefore makes God a part of me and therefore I am God

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xionmir
Then if i do things that produce such feelings then it is of God which therefore makes God a part of me and therefore I am God

You are a distinct part of the whole my Brother. But, not the whole as a part.

God is God, You are you, the Son of God, a part.

Much like a cell is part of your whole. Your cell is not you, but you are not you without it.

With love,

Your Brother

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

But if one cell decides to go rogue it believes it is killing enemy so what about those individuals that believe they are doing the world justice but just have a clouded conscious?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

reply to post by IAMIAM

But if one cell decides to go rogue it believes it is killing enemy so what about those individuals that believe they are doing the world justice but just have a clouded conscious?

Is this not what we have here today? Everyone trying to decide for everyone what is best for everyone. Look at what hate this breeds.

Each cell must decide only for itself what is right. It cannot decide for others. If each cell thinks of things in terms of "What would I want done to me?" in each intercourse with other cells, then love and harmony would prevail.

If a cell thinks "What do I think is right for the other cells, or group of cells?" a false idea of right is created. Some cells will agree, others will rebel, the war that comes is like a cancer spreading.

With love,

Your Brother

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Xionmir

If you are producing those things then yes you are a part of God and God is a part of you but it does not make you God, it makes you a reflection of him/her/it/other.

[edit on 9/6/2010 by Jovi1]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Who decides what is sin?

Morality and Moral Values: decide if what you have in mind is good or bad.

-You can have what ever thought, dream or idea without being judged by any other than your self.

-You can say what ever you want in your own space, without being judged by any other than your self.

But as soon as you speak or act in the presence of others. You will be morally judged on what you speak or do.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Wow, i was just about to ask if thinking bad things where sins too.
But moving on....

In the Bible, God has a sin that is unforgivable and that is blasphemy to him. So is asking questions and doubting the Bible blasphemy to him?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Xionmir

No the only sin God has as being unforgivable is blaspheming the Holy Spirit. Having questions and doubts is part of the process and is expected from you.

Thinking sinful thoughts are a sin as well but not because you thought them it becomes an issue when you dwell on them, because that is what will eventually compel you into doing them. So seeing a pretty girl walking down the street and the primal urge that lets you know you appreciate her beauty isn't really a sinful thing but rather when you dwell on that moment.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

reply to post by spy66

Wow, i was just about to ask if thinking bad things where sins too.
But moving on....

In the Bible, God has a sin that is unforgivable and that is blasphemy to him. So is asking questions and doubting the Bible blasphemy to him?

Remember: we also judge our own thoughts and actions. You are in charge of You. You make up the personality you want to be, by the choices you make.

It is not a sin to ask question. But its a sin to give you a false answer.

If you are in doubt only means you don't understand. I dont know if that is a sin or a human weakness. It is probably more a weakness than a sin. It is not your fault if you don't understand when everyone speaks different truth.

If it is a sin: It must be because of a lack of personal effort to search for the truth in what people speak.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Christians start with a faithful trust and belief in that the Bible is the record of God, divinely inspired in some cases. With that said we find our direction in that record along with law.

People without that faith may not understand.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

But there are are flaws in the Bible. If it where the word of God there would be none, no?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Christians start with a faithful trust and belief in that the Bible is the record of God, divinely inspired in some cases. With that said we find our direction in that record along with law.

People without that faith may not understand.

Strange ones like myself start with a healthy bit of scepticism and doubt, and find belief in the Bible and that it is divinely inspired. Then again, I also feel the poetry by Jim Morrison is divinely inspired.

You know the day destroys the night
Night divides the day
you try to run
you try to hide
break on through..

Ah never mind.

Your Brother

P.S. Just realised your screenname KingLizard/LizardKing

Goin back to my corner now...

[edit on 6-9-2010 by IAMIAM]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Jim Morrison reference...woohoo. You are the first to understand my name is not referring to the alien reptiles.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Jim Morrison reference...woohoo. You are the first to understand my name is not referring to the alien reptiles.

It must have been subliminal, I caught it after the fact. Kinda makes it even better!

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
It really does, that's just awesome.

Edit: as far as the scepticism and doubt, I know where you've been. I grew up in a Roman Catholic Parochial school and rebelled against their forceful ways. Abandoned faith for 20 years and found true faith some time ago. It's interesting to see how people come to faith in Christ.

[edit on 9/6/2010 by kinglizard]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join