It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life on this Earth Just Changed

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
reply to post by ChemBreather

There's always cold weather in winter somewhere or other. What relevance does this have to the Gulf Stream? Which in case you weren't aware affects the southern highlands of Brazil in the same way London is the capital of Finland.

But if we're playing that silly game, I'll counter with the hottest summer on record in Japan

Glad you made me aware of summers and winters..

What is a fact, is that there are Record breaking temps coming in from all around the globe: Record hot and Record Cold and Record Snow and Record Rains, a.k.a. Abnormal Weather patterns , Abrupt climate change ?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Frank Dinkle

Playing games are we? Nice try. That's the date in the upper left. It's showing January 12, 2003.
Here's the actual image from that date. The non-edited version.

[edit on 9/8/2010 by Phage]

it says updated daily. who knows?

www.ocean-pro.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Frank Dinkle

Why not use the original source?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

You have a sample image.

[edit on 9/8/2010 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
IMO.
I think a slow down was inevitable with the amount of fresh water that was injected into the sea after the Icelandic volcano.
Didn't they estimate the flow rate of something like the output of the Amazon river

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Original TU Delft diagram, 720x480 pixels :

Original Ocean-pro.com diagram, 480x360 pixels :

And now the TU Delft and the Ocean-pro diagrams with the same time stamp on it, scaled to the same PIXEL-size of 680x 453 pixels each :

TU Delft :

Ocean-pro :

Those 2 last ones are a true comparison between the two original diagrams, one from the TU Delft and one from the European DEOS satellite named as the source on the ocean-pro.com website, where Frank Dinkle got his diagram with the identical date from.

NOTE :
The original TU Delft one depicts latitudes from 25° to 45°, longitudes from 40° to 82°.
The original Ocean-pro one depicts latitudes from 31° to 44°, longitudes from 50° to 80°, thus, a sizable part of the TU Delft latitudes/longitudes diagram.
Latitude is shown as a horizontal line, longitude is shown as a vertical line. ( www.worldatlas.com... )

Which website is pulling our legs?

My guess : Ocean-pro, since when I zoom-in their picture, by zooming in on this thread's ATS page in my browser,
(blow-up : click CTRL plus + in Windows/Mozilla Firefox browser) ,
a lot of pixel errors are to be found around the date inserted, and also the coast lines.
Also, the black areas near the coastal areas to be seen in the TU Delft one, do not show up in the ocean-pro one.

And, the TU Delft one stays overall crispy clear, while the Ocean-pro one deteriorates when zooming-in.

It could be that someone just for "fun" changed the original color bar under the Ocean-pro description, from f.ex. salinities or temperatures, to speed.
Based on the fact that we see the same vague 8 formed figure between 56° and 61°, only a bit bigger than in the TU Delft one.
That funny trick would be the easiest form of trickery, just cut-out the white portion of the picture below the diagram, and change it for another color bar with different description.
Very easy to do in even Windows Paint.

Is Ocean-pro an University based web site like TU Delft, or not and do they have an agenda to inflict severe fear in the masses?

EDIT : www.ocean-pro.com...
I think Captain Bob is a serious person, when I took a longer look at his website.
So, how on earth did that picture land on his page?

Is some entity sneaking-in slightly altered pictures, for yet unknown purposes?
Could that be connected to the Global Warming advocates or their opponents?
I find it very strange that we accidentally find such an alteration.
And ask myself what the consequences are for many other seemingly serious websites, if this pattern can be found on many more serious pages?

Like ATS perhaps? I never saw it happen here, but what wasn't, can come to these shores too, I suppose.

[edit on 8/9/10 by LaBTop]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
According to NASA, the current started to slow-down in the 80's and 90's. Contrary to what is stated in your link, there is little-to-no proof that this is in any way related to Corexit.
LINK

This is NOT to say that there is nothing to be concerned about as it has been shown that this IS a rather significant development. Check out this info from the Wood's Hole Oceanographic Institute:

LINK

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I have a private theory.

Ice-ages are perhaps not caused by relatively fast, slowing or stopping ocean currents, but by sudden events, which then massively influence those currents afterwards.

And those events are (in my opinion) probably caused by massive comet/meteorite strikes on Earth.
Comets are big chunks of ice plus some rock fragments; while meteorites are rocks, with perhaps a thin icy surface, before they enter any planets atmosphere. That thin layer on meteorites evaporates, sometimes explosively, immediately when entering atmospheres.

If you look at the Yucatan Peninsula, and the whole Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea, I see the effect of 3, possible 4 or more, huge meteorite or comet strikes in that region.

Btw, it's one gigantic mixing mechanism of fresh, salt and warm and cold water!

The relatively small and now faint impact crater remnants on the Yucatan Peninsula itself, overgrown now with jungle, which was discovered a decade ago, was just a tiny piece of the train of fragments hitting the Gulf region hundred-thousands or millions of years ago.
Its diversion is caused by the same effect as the broken string of Shoemaker comet-parts impacting Jupiter.
That shattered comet, Shoemaker-Levy 9, collided with Jupiter over a 5.6 day period in July 1994. The first of 21 comet fragments hit Jupiter on July 16, 1994.

Because of the rotation of our planet, those separated or broken off comet/meteorite parts which probably impacted Earth long ago, were spread out over that former land mass from east to west.

Although the Sun and stars appear to move from east to west, the earth rotates from west to east.
So the last one impacted above the region which is nowadays Yucatan, in the western Gulf, and the earlier ones went down further away, from east to west, since they entered Earth atmosphere minutes to hours earlier.
The first fragment went down in the eastern Caribbean Sea, the next ones hit the western part of the Caribbean Sea.
The whole Gulf and Caribbean region was then a land mass, and Florida and all the downwards arced islands we see now stretched to the Guyana's, were the, then shore, regions of the Atlantic Ocean.
Because of the impacts, the rim of the impacted region was pushed up and prone to volcano forming, and that's why most of the arc of Antilles Islands are now volcanic in nature.

These impacts were also the cause of the oil reservoirs under the Gulf, since a-biotic oil was formed in huge quantities by the sudden enormous pressure change on the upper magma crust under that region.
It is also the cause of the so immense fractured bottom of the Gulf, which makes it so difficult and dangerous to tap deep wells, since leaks through surrounding fractures can easily occur when you start drilling so deep, a few kilometers deep at the bottom.

That impact and the subsequent filling of the new formed basin with Atlantic salt water did change the then present Atlantic currents enormously, and caused huge changes in weather patterns.
Since we were not there, we don't know when the onset to an Ice age occurred, but Comet/meteorite impacts must have had an enormous effect on global weather patterns.

Just as the probable impact in the Hudson Bay area must have caused a tremendous change in Arctic weather patterns.

The biggest influences on the weather are the Sun, the Moon, and their subsequent effects through the Coriolis forces on the masses of salt water, and especially the air above them.
And the Mid-Atlantic Rift in case of the Atlantic Ocean, the Florida Straights and the Grand Bank, and many more smaller underwater obstacles.

I lived and had an office once in Togo, a thin stretched out little country at the southern part of West Africa. If you wanted to go for a swim at certain parts of the "beaches" in front of the capital Lomé, situated at the Gulf of Guinea, you were warned by huge signs to better not go in the water, because of the huge undercurrents, formed by the surface currents hitting the steep sandy beach cliffs and diving down again to return much deeper to the main current which went off-shore at considerable depths. The sandy beach itself was only a few meters wide, and about 1 to 2 meter in the water, its sandy bottom suddenly went down nearly 90°.
This is caused by the enormous Maelström formed constantly in the Gulf of Guinea by the rotation of the Earth's globe, which causes a huge migration of water masses consisting of differing temperatures and salinity. Friction and Coriolis forces push all that water from the Southern hemisphere to the Northern hemisphere in a kind of Moebius band stretching on the surface and inside the Southern and Northern Atlantic.
The Möbius strip or Möbius band is alternatively written Mobius or Moebius in English.

Here you can perfectly see that huge Gulf of Guinea maelström, and others :

Thus, friction caused by Coriolis forces acting on different layers of warmer or colder salt water are the minor forces compared to the Sun and Moon, acting on water and air above.

Go play around with these extensive models of the real-time Atlantic Ocean forecast system :
polar.ncep.noaa.gov...

Descriptions of its main menu options :

The following selections are available from the main menu at the top of the page.
1. Compare with Obs : Daily satellite and model SST comparisons.
2. Data Assim : Analysis of the assimilation of observational data into the model.
3. RTOFS & WOCE : Comparison of vertical cross sections of the model basin with World Ocean Circulation Experiment section data.
4. Graphics Viewer : Daily suite of graphical analyses of the model outputs. All of the model parameters (temperature, salinity, sea surface height, mixed layer depth, and velocities) are sampled at a variety of depths.
5. Data Access : How to get and use the model data. Information is available on the data formats used as well as methods of accessing the data interactively.
6. About the Model: Background information on the RTOFS model.

The Graphics Viewer and the RTOFS & WOCE sections are visually the most interesting ones.
Do view the depth from surface to 4000 meter deep especially, and at 3000 meter you find the influence of the Mid-Atlantic Rift underseas mountains already. There is a North and South Atlantic Rift by the way.

Do also view the Gulf of Mexico region surface feature, and you can see how the Gulfstream forms by incoming waters from the Caribbean side, flowing around the Greater Antilles, and leaving through the Florida Straight :
polar.ncep.noaa.gov...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by wardk28
I was a weather geek in the military and if the those currents actually had stopped, none of would be typing right now. That is life ending event. Since the earth is shaped the way it is, there is uneven heating. That is what causes weather and currents. Its to redistribute heat.

Please enlighten us all knowing militry member, how would we all be dead now if it is just starting to stop and seems to progress every month. The worst I have seen that can happen is an ice age and sorry to burst your bubble but many will survive the ice age. Specially the ones in underground bunkers like D.U.M.B's.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrOrange82
Early Snow in Russia
Russia has seen it’s first snow accumulation of the season. According to Rutgers Global Snow Lab, Russia doesn’t normally receive snow until the second week in September. More is forecast for the next week, as well as in Norway and Sweden. Southeast Greenland is expecting heavy snow. Much of The UK and Ireland are expecting cold weather during the next week, as is Moscow. Temperatures on the Greenland ice sheet will be dipping down to near -25C. Nice August weather!

Never before so much rain in Germany
31 Aug 10 – Germany received more rain in August than in any August since records began in 1881, the German Weather Service (DWD) announced Monday. “We have measured more than double the amount of rain as the long-term average for August,” said DWD spokesman Uwe Kirsche. About 157 litres per square metre had fallen on average across the nation, a new record. The previous record, set in August 1960, brought “only” 134 liter / sq m. That compares with the average over many years of just 77 litres / m.

Coldest South Australia August in 35 years
ADELAIDE has recorded its coldest August in more than 35 years. The city had an average temperature of 14.8C for the last month of winter. That compared with a usual average of 16.6C for August. Bureau of Meteorology senior forecaster Allan Beattie said the previous record for a cold August was in 1970 when the average temperature was 14.4C. But the coldest August was in 1951 when the average temperature was 14.1C. Adelaide’s winter this year also had a below-average temperature of 15.5C, compared with the usual average of 16C.

Snow in the Alps a month earlier than normal
30 Aug 10 – Snow in Voralberg, a month earlier than “normal”. Many farmers still had their cattle in the fields! Global warming seems far removed from these regions. It’s in Dutch, but you can use an online translator to get the gist of it. click here!

Half a meter of snow in Norway
I live in Norway. Here is what was in the news today! The winter just arrived, with a half a meter of snow. It snowed several places in the mountains in eastern Norway, although it is still only August. “This was totally unexpected,” says Anne Wangen to Nettavisen.
…..
“There have been large amounts of snow, between 40 and 50 centimeters,” says Wangen. It is many years since there has been snow so early in Juvasshytta, located 1840 meters above sea level.
“It has happened that there has been so much snow in August, but it is many years since the last time. It is not normal anyway, and there was no indication of a time,” says Wangen.

Links to legit sources would be awesome!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Its like Rain in Wales, it's inevitable, except this is Snow and Ice and the time scale is a lot larger.
Past Climate Cycles Its not all doom and gloom!

10,000+ years of Ski Sunday

edit on 17-9-2010 by DreamerOracle because: edit

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

edit on 17-9-2010 by DreamerOracle because: doublepost

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by MrOrange82
Alex has picked it up, now its fishy

www.prisonplanet.com...

Yes, I saw it there a couple of days ago and wondered how long before someone on ATS raised it as a 'serious' story ...... Pool ol' Alex, falls for them every time

(no offense intended to the OP
)

All the Gulf Current might add to the THC is s little more heat ... and it is not The Heat which drives it, but the salinity at the melt point: ... Too much melt, too little salt ... things slow down. Huge melt (glacial lake not going down the Mississippi, but out the St. Lawrence) and there is a new ice age! .. That is a big break; but not a missing quantity of warm in the mix.

Quite frankly the Loop did not shut down fast enough!! .... We still got massive fish kills up as far as New York, Tar Blechs on Atlantic Beaches, Co-rxt in FL shrimping beds ... and who knows what else?

...NOW ... amazingly... we have Hurricane Igor .. racing up the East Coast ... headed for Newfoundland and that big chunk of free floating ice! ... and ... what will Igor toss on shore as it passes I wonder? ...

It will be interesting to find out .. I hope the You Tube Reporters are on it.
I hope the regular PRESS folks are on it as well .... beach patrol anyone?

...Awesome page .. wish I could use it with some feeling of adequacy (~practice, ~practice ..)

NOAA Satellite Images

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join