It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family board game training generations of cutthroat capitalists for 75 years.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Me and my friends either play Uno or Monopoly each week. The best strategy I've found for Monopoly has always been go for the 2nd Tier properties. Which are the Light Purple and Orange Properties between Jail and Free Parking. Since Houses only cost $100 each for these, you can Hotel them quickly and people almost always land on them. Then the cursing will commence.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I remember playing a drunken game of the electronic version, it got to the point where me and a mate (being the least drunk of the drunkards) would just pass the machine back and forth giving each other 20mil at a time.

We won that game by the way...oligarchy FTW.

And how does my earthquake thread get moved but this obvious joke stays I'll never know.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

do you live in VA?? you sound like someone i know

[edit on 6/9/10 by HomerinNC]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Ludo is just plain evil, I suppose.

How dare there be a winner? Everyone should lose! That's true equality.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I understand your point, but there are deeper concerns with the modern versions of Monopoly that could be seen as much more hazardous to a family than what you have given.

First off though, to say that it could be deemed the root of our problems is far stretching in my mind. It is a game. Games produce winners and losers. Understandable that the connection in this game refers to property and money, but nonetheless, it is what it is.

Given that, if we all looked deeply and suspiciously at every thing in life, we can start to see all the negatives in everything. Take, as someone here referred to, Risk or Battleship. There are winners and loser and either you win by destroying your opponent through simulated naval warfare or you overtake countries. Or let us look at Sorry! The game practically teaches children to be ruthless and misuse the word 'sorry' just as they reset their opponent back to square one...that my friends is not sorry, nor, as we are looking negatively, be seen as good sportsmanship.

Alas, we come to the things that I dread, not of the Monopoly I grew up with, but rather the newer versions. The versions that have taken money out of the equation and are beginning to condition our children that 'plastic' will get you everything you need in life. This is in direct connection with the massive market of selling debt. Which by the way is near the largest market in the United States.

So yes, the game has money and property to buy and sell. You are given a limited amount of capital to work with and come out victorious. Like every game, there are winners and losers. Thus is life.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I think it was based off of the cutthroat capitalism that was already existent in the 1930's.

I do not think it is a good training device as it is just a very marketable and exploitable product. (the many versions and simple gameplay dynamics)

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Unfortunately, the one who usually ends up the winner never learns this
lesson. He only learns that winning feels awesome and stepping on others to get what you want feels great.

hmm, I think it really depends on the family.

I can remember feeling bad for my brother when he was short on the monopoly cash flow and kept hitting my boardwalk with hotels.

Its a shame to see how this message has been lost ot generations of players.

? What do you base this statement on? Your expierience with your family?

.....it seems the game excells at making monsters.

oh really?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

My experience with the game has always been mostly bad. Like a lot of the other posters, it often ended in nasty arguments and yes, I've been known to be a board flipper when things didn't go my way.

As I grew older, I got a little better, but not much. I believe in my lifetime, I've probably only seen the game played all the way to the end maybe twice, it's much too long.

I always liked The Game of Life much better. The game rewarded you for getting married, having lots of kids and was less competitive. Everyone made it to the end and the winner was determined by who accumulated the most money. There was none of that cut-throat suff in Life, everyone pretty much did their own thing and then compared who ended up the most well off in the end.

I guess The Game of Life was kinda like real life and the end of the game was like your 20th class reunion where everyone brags about their life accomplishments and laughs at the ones who got fat or went bald.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join