It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The rise of the smart card

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I suppose it's inevitable but as we move towards a cashless society, in the UK there is talk of a 'smartcard' in the next few years for all public travel within the country.
www.google.com...
Yes this would be very convenient but at what cost?
On the other hand, some here might think this is a good idea?
www.brighthub.com...

[mod edit: fixed long link skewing page view]

[edit on 9/5/2010 by 12m8keall2c]

[edit on 5-9-2010 by starchild10]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Sounds similar to the "octopus card" in Hong Kong.

Wilipedia-Octopus Card

I've used it before, it's pretty handy. Octopus works at convenience stores too, walk in, grab what you want, wave your wallet at the sensor, walk out. Of course there's the privacy issue, but the locals don't seem to be bothered.

www.readwriteweb.com...

There are more than 19 million Octopus cards in circulation, over twice Hong Kong's population of 7 million. Over 95% of Hong Kong citizens between the ages of 10 to 65 use Octopus and there are over 10 million transactions each day.

Even better, the system proposed in the UK is Oyster, and with that system, you don't have to link your identity with the card.

On the flip side, Oyster may be used anonymously - so there isn't a requirement to link it to your identity, at least for its payment uses.

Darn convenient, and pretty neat, in a New World Order kind of way.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Here in the Netherlands they are rolling out the OV Chip card, a total public transport system and a very good idea, no idea if they track movements via the card, I guess they could if they wanted to but it does make travle alot easier!

new topics

join