It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gurkhas to be axed from the British Army?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Gurkhas to be axed from the British Army?

www.dailyexpress.co.uk

THE Gurkhas are braced for their toughest fight yet amid fears that they face the axe.
With a Government defence review considering all options in a quest to find savings of up to 20 per cent, there are suggestions the Gurkhas could fall ­victim.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Sorry didnt really know where to put this. Did a search for similar titles but couldnt find any so sorry if its been posted twice. Its from The Express newspaper website from the UK.

So the Gurkhas to be axed? Although its not certain yet but what views do people have on this. My opinion is that if it happened it would be a complete disgrace, the Gurkhas along with our other troops are some of the bravest people going. I dont think many people would be happy about this

www.dailyexpress.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Your right on that, the Gurkhas are legendary fighters and are an integral part of the British Army. They got rid of the Highlanders and now the Gurkhas ... just what in the hell are they thinking?

You guys really, really, really need to do something about these constant defense cuts. Their are some 3rd world nations with more powerful armed forces then the UK.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
They must really have something against the Gurkhas what with this and their attempts to deny them their rightly earned pensions

Gurkhas renew battle over British army pensions

Someone somewhere needs a slap up side the head

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The gurkhas are amongst the best British fighting force in British History.
They were so feirce the Japanese feared them, in WW2 they hardly ever used guns, instead they sneak through the bushes and attack with machetes and knives.

We need these soldiers, they are what make us so great.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

It seems it has alot to do with defence cuts. Perhaps the Gurkhas could be spread among the Commonwealth Nations in their militaries? I'm sure Canada, Australia and New Zealand could take a good handful for their peacekeeping efforts and coalition forces.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This is truly digusting.
These guys have layed down their lives for Britain for generations-and this is how our goverenment treats them?
Because they are not as "cheap" as they used to be is one reason given!
Holy.....if I could swear here I would be doing so vehemently right now.

The top generals should grow some balls and go on strike for the Gurkhas IMO-just for half a day(but make out like its for months!).

Imagine it-the toliets at westminster would be rammed with ministers crapping themselves.

I hope some facebook user has already set up a page to fight this madness.
I would actually be prepared to join facebook just for that page,and I HATE facebook.

Maybe a petition would also be in order.
And if all that fails,send in the lovable rottweiller Joanna Lumley,she helped them out before,and I bet she ain't gonna stand for this.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Personally i thinks its a complete insult to their loyalty and their commitment. They just arnt any normal soldier and also have a kind heart to them too. Ive mnet a few previous Gurkhas through the job i do and they are pleaseant people

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Already done here, yesterday:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 1-9-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
Your right on that, the Gurkhas are legendary fighters and are an integral part of the British Army. They got rid of the Highlanders and now the Gurkhas ... just what in the hell are they thinking?

I read once where it were the Highlanders, 2000 of them, were the ones that broke the Republicans at Waterloo. They were almost wiped out doing so but thier actions allowed the main english army to then come in and finish off Naploeons finest.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Thank you butcher guy, damn and i thought i done something good. Bugger

Moderators feel free to do what you please with this one

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

You guys really, really, really need to do something about these constant defense cuts. Their are some 3rd world nations with more powerful armed forces then the UK.

Nice thoughts on the British armed forces.

But Britain is technically broke

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Nah mate-think trident.
3rd world countries-
Not more powerful,better equipped and funded maybe,on the individual soldier basis only,not overall.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeaceMaker

Originally posted by butcherguy

Thank you butcher guy, damn and i thought i done something good. Bugger

Moderators feel free to do what you please with this one
I thought you did it well.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

The Gurkhas had usefullness in the days of empire when it did some good, politcaly, to have some tribe or more fighting with you. But now days it looks like trapings. I mean bloody h the welsh fought in the english army for years but couldnt even speak their own language in public untill about 50? years ago?

top topics

join