It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Rejects Lesbian Couple's Daughter

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
Parents just wanted to make a scene. If they REALLY wanted this kid in the school, they could have just quietly submitted the application and said nothing about having two mommies. But they wanted to see what would happen, so they crossed out father and wrote mommie.

Yes, they did make it clear on the application that they were a lesbian couple. A smart move on their part, since if the admissions office would have caught that they could have been informed that it would be a problem back in June.

Instead, they didn't learn it would be a problem until just before the school year begins (when they went to New Parents Day), and now they'll probably have to enroll their child in public school since it's likely too late to get into a local private or parochial school for this year.

No big deal, assuming that the public schools in their area aren't really bad. Unfortunately, that can be a pretty big assumption in some areas of the country.

I think the school is fully within their rights here. As long as they accept no federal funds, they can keep whomever they choose out.

I agree with this; I think they are within their legal rights.

Good for the school.

I disagree with this.

Originally posted by jibeho
When I was kid in Catholic school my parents divorced. Big no no back then. I was the only kid with divorced parents. I wasn't kicked out of school but I know what the nuns and the pastor were thinking. Yes, I was that kid. But, neither of my parents made a stink out of it and life went on and my brother and I turned out just fine.

So what you're saying is that a kid can do just fine in a school that disapproves of it's parents' lifestyle?

edited to add reply to jibeho

[edit on 8/26/2010 by americandingbat]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Shouldn't rock the boat then. If you can afford the private school tuition to send your child to this school, you can afford to send her anywhere.

So they were open about the application. Nice.

That still doesn't take away from the fact that this child will be tormented in this school for as long as she is there for having 'two mommies'.

Look, I don't care who you sleep with, but those parents were just asking for trouble. I am sure there is a Episcopalian academy that would be more suitable to their lifestyle.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Pinke

Perhaps YOU should reread the article:

"Jill and Tracy Harrison were married in Canada in 2006. Last month they filled out admission forms to enroll their daughter, Olivia, into St. Vincent’s Episcopal School. JILL wrote her name next to the word “mother” on the forms. She crossed out “father” and wrote in “mother” next to Tracy's name as well."

What did the parents THINK was going to happen, applying to a private christian school in Texas of all places?

They should have seen this coming.

San Francisco has an entire industry that caters to this kind of lifestyle. I would have tried there, before I tried Texas.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Darkrunner]

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Darkrunner]

Right you are. I stand corrected.

However, I still don't see any soap boxing - I just see two parents that wrote an application and were rejected. Who cares? (Apart from the religious right and people who think gay people want to rule the planet)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke

reply to post by Pinke

Perhaps YOU should reread the article:

"Jill and Tracy Harrison were married in Canada in 2006. Last month they filled out admission forms to enroll their daughter, Olivia, into St. Vincent’s Episcopal School. JILL wrote her name next to the word “mother” on the forms. She crossed out “father” and wrote in “mother” next to Tracy's name as well."

What did the parents THINK was going to happen, applying to a private christian school in Texas of all places?

They should have seen this coming.
San Francisco has an entire industry that caters to this kind of lifestyle. I would have tried there, before I tried Texas.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I didn't realize there was a qualification of parents for children to attend school...

sounds like someones got a personal agenda against homosexuality.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
They should have seen this coming.San Francisco has an entire industry that caters to this kind of lifestyle. I would have tried there, before I tried Texas.

Standard answer...blame the victim.
Kind'a like Rosa Parks...what did she expect, sitting in the front of that bus!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin
reply to post by Mike_A

Really? So skin color now has something to do with people following religious doctrine? I am all for gay rights, but I am also all for religions having freedom and not being forced to accept something that goes against certain beliefs (even if I disagree). You really think that a Catholic or Christian school should be forced into accepting Jewish families? Are you retarded?

Forget skin color or religion.. how about having a problem in general with people being b-holes to other people? Who cares why, there are a million excuses and justifications to be bigoted, divisive and nasty.. how about just being cool and fair?

I'm all for excluding people from some private clubs/groups, gyms, "He-man woman haters" and all that... but is a school really that place?.. is it really best for children to develop in private environments? in someones idea of a proper sterile atmosphere free from homo kids or others deemed "undesirable"?.. because hey, kids will never run into any of those in life..lol

Personally, eh.. IDK.. I'm thinking when it comes to a school, a place where kids are allegedly developing children into well rounded adults, more thought should be put into private rules... a school isn't the same as a private gym.

Anyone care when Rev Loon opens a pair of private academies: "The Charles Manson Art school for kids" & "Satins pre-school for little Devils (&future politicians)"... Rev Loon only chooses those who conform to his twisted vision of a perfect flock or political party: disturbed white kids with violent sociopath tendencies. Now enrolling!! lesbians welcome, no church people or other undesirables, please!! ..lol

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join