It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Rejects Lesbian Couple's Daughter

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

You are right that a person can't choose the color of their skin. It is arguable that a person can choose their sexual orientation as many have changed theirs. A person can also choose their behavior. A heterosexual widow can choose to remain celebate if she does not remarry or can choose to be a fornicator. A pediphile can choose to act or not act on their sexual impulses as can a person who chooses to use an animal as a way to get their jollies.
These parents chose to act on their sexual impulses in a way that the church does not approve of.

The parents lifestyle is considered by the church school to be sinful. The school has a moral obligation to the parents, children and their religious affiliation to not condone what they believe to be sin and to protect the children from what they see to be a sinful choice of the parents. The parents are in open defiance of what the school teaches. The people who enroll their children there are paying to have that sects religious beliefs taught to the children, not just academic beliefs. The school has the moral responsibilty to uphold those beliefs.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Bramble Iceshimmer

Are you saying everyone should have freedom EXCEPT parochial schools? That a religious private school of any faith should have to be EXACTLY like a public school? You should re-read the first amendment....

Separation of church and state:
en.wikipedia.org...

Freedom of religion:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
My first reaction is to question the logic of the parents, wanting to subject their daughter to the inevitable conflict of religious teachings on homosexuality. As another poster already stated, how mixed up would she become, dealing with diametrically opposing beliefs?

With that said, I am constantly amazed at the support for causing large groups of people to conform to the whims of an individual, because they have "the right". I am a strong advocate of the philosophy of "Your rights end, where another person's begin". It really is that simple.

Originally posted by Bramble Iceshimmer
If a school, club or other organization offers membership to the public it should be on an equal basis regardless of religious, racial, ethnic or lifestyle background. If it does not it should be closed by the government.

Ooooh. Very bad idea.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
A lot of these responses aren't too nice to the gay community and seem one sided to certain conservative beliefs.

Have you ever considered the fact that a lot of homosexuals are Christians? Maybe they just wanted their daughter in a nice Christian school.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Shouldn't a religious school be accepting and willing to educate any child if the parents are wanting them too...regardless of the parents lifestyle?

So my original thoughts of siding with the school has turned around...I don't think they did the right thing in this case.

I see this from both sides: I think that it is their legal right (as long as they receive no government funding whatsoever) to accept or reject whoever they want.

I also think they should (ethically) have let the kid enroll. They claim they do not discriminate based on religion, so in my mind the argument that they accepted her because she and her family have different beliefs than what the school promotes is invalid.

Whether or not a child's parents are married to each other in the state where she wants to attend school seems like a terrible reason to turn away a kid. I also wonder about the hypocrisy of judging the sins of children's parents: would they also expel a child if they found out his or her mother or father was having an affair?

reply to post by aorAki

Originally posted by aorAki
While I can see that it wasn't the smartest move, on their behalf, to enroll their child at that particular school (were they naiive?)

I do wonder if they weren't confused by the Episcopal in the school's name, as I was when first reading the article. At an Episcopal school this wouldn't have been an issue (see the link I gave in my last post on the issue, about the Episcopal Church promoting a lesbian bishop).

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBloodRed
Maybe they just wanted their daughter in a nice Christian school.

If that were the case, the parents should have researched the numerous private, Christian schools in the Hurst-Euless-Bedford area of Tarrant County and found one which shares their views on homosexuality.

After all, another poster has supplied information that the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth issued a statement that their schools do not "discriminate", so we know they exist.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice
reply to post by americandingbat

Actually no they cannot. The Bible teaches that homosexuality is an abomination. Given that how could an active homosexual be a Christian and yet continue to live a lifestyle that the Christian Bible says is an abomination? It just isn't plausible.

Just between you and me, there are a lot of admonitions in the Bible whose observance would have one thrown in jail for a long, long time. May I assume you adhere to them, too?

Frankly, I hope there is a special place in hell for those with the effrontery to cherry-pick the scriptures to support their own little biases.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sassyncute
I do not see why Gays are so bent on destroying everything that offers them a glimmer of hope. The Gay community is blatant, overbearing, self obssesed and has no repsect for anyone else as a whole not as individuals.
All i hear is "what about our rights, what about us gays"
All I see are rules being changed to accommodate them to the point that no one else is accommodated.
I say Gays have had a good portions of the the rule changes moved in their favor.
If you argue and then get into a fight with a person and later it is found out the person you fought with is gay the law treats it as "gay bashing".
As for the private school, its their choice and if the gay couple is rejected, then tough, suck it up (no pun intended). I bet the people who don't get in because their grades are not good enough don't cry "what about stupid peoples rights".
Maybe they will soon.

Well then, why can't we say:

I do not see why Blacks are so bent on destroying everything that offers them a glimmer of hope. The Black community is blatant, overbearing, self obssesed and has no repsect for anyone else as a whole not as individuals.

All i hear is "what about our rights, what about us Blacks"

All I see are rules being changed to accommodate them to the point that no one else is accommodated.

I say Blacks have had a good portions of the the rule changes moved in their favor.

If you argue and then get into a fight with a person and later it is found out the person you fought with is Black the law treats it as "Black bashing".

As for the private school, its their choice and if the Black couple is rejected, then tough, suck it up (no pun intended). I bet the people who don't get in because their grades are not good enough don't cry "what about stupid peoples rights".

Maybe they will soon.

Or Jews, or Virginians, or Irish...?

Bigotry is bigotry, and is the arena of very narrow persons.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

This is like the muslims who want to build a mosque next to ground zero.

There is no comparison.

This school is a private school and has a religious bias so its pretty obvious why she was rejected for admission. Honestly what lesbian/gay couple would want their child attending a school founded around Christianity? Why send her to a school run by a religion that has been far from tolerant of homosexuality?

As for the Muslims, they own the private property and its their Constitutional right to practice their religion on their own property, case closed.

Even if the school is private it doesn't mean its okay for them to discriminate based on the sexual orientation of the child's parents.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

If it were a private school you and the government cannot disagree with it, as long as a certain standard of education is held. That is what makes this country great, it is called freedom.

Not that I would agree with an all white school, but again this has nothing to do with race it is about religion. We can choose our religion; you cannot chose your skin color. You can bring up the whole born gay thing and all but again the Christian faith has had this belief from the start. Again, they have the right to be gay but they have to understand not everyone will agree with their lifestyle. There is no need to force that life style into the school. In many (but not all) cases, such schools do not allow single parent kids either.

This is a private organization, stop trying to push your beliefs into their system.

Raist

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
Bigotry is bigotry, and is the arena of very narrow persons.

Since you brought up race, I'm curious if your above quoted statement applies equally to the all black colleges/universities? How about all black sororities/fraternities in many colleges? Or scholarships limited to students of black ethnicity?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I certainly hope that church doesn't have "everyone welcome" posted on the front. The hypocrisy is always amazing.

If they were truley interested in education, they would not care of the source of the child.

What is next? No mixed couples? No couples over 40.

I wonder how many of those kids accepted ahve been born out of wedlock, have single parents.

I wonder how many of those parents are alcoholics, abusers, drug abusers, promiscuous, or having affairs. But those are forgiveable sins, but we will pick and choose which sins we can look the other way too.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

They exist because bigotry exists. As long as a minority is repressed, then there are people who are willing to try to give them an upper hand that society doesn't.

If you think racism and bigotry doesn't happen constantly, then you need to stop canoodling with the Snuggley bear and sniffing the mountain spring downy softness fabric softener.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
You know I went to a $30K a year Episcopal school and there were a handful of kids with two dads or mums....
Actually no biggie as the Episcopal tradition is seemingly most adapt to accepting this lifestyle.
Either way money talks.

Its bigoted and teaches nothing of real faith or equality so I would not send my children there the next term if I saw such disgusting behavior out of the stone age from someone I am paying to teach my kids to learn correct knowledge and behavior.

A terribly outdated and weak decison and I'd say "Girls not worth your money!"

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Frankly, I hope there is a special place in hell for those with the effrontery to cherry-pick the scriptures to support their own little biases.

So are you also applying this to Christian gays and others who pick and choose what behaviors they feel like doing, ignoring the bible?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover

Since you brought up race, I'm curious if your above quoted statement applies equally to the all black colleges/universities? How about all black sororities/fraternities in many colleges? Or scholarships limited to students of black ethnicity?

What was that case where the all gay softball league kicked off players because they were not gay enough...

I'm also not sure how a behavior qualifies a group as a minority, but it seems being gay makes a person one.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

They exist because bigotry exists. As long as a minority is repressed, then there are people who are willing to try to give them an upper hand that society doesn't.

If you think racism and bigotry doesn't happen constantly, then you need to stop canoodling with the Snuggley bear and sniffing the mountain spring downy softness fabric softener.

Is there a person on this planet that is not a bigot?

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I don't think they can reject someone because of their race, regardless of whether they are private or not. But as I said I’m arguing the morality not legality. Surely if someone is happy about a private organisation rejecting people based on sexuality then they should have no problem if say their local bar had a no blacks policy. If not then why not?

reply to post by LAinhabitant

It is arguable that a person can choose their sexual orientation

No it isn’t, let’s just nip that in the bud; every (non Christian) study has determined that choice is not involved in someone’s sexual orientation.

The parents lifestyle is considered by the church school to be sinful.

And Dr Mason considers Mexicans to be subhuman, do you think it’s ok for him to deny treatment on this basis?

If you agree with this decision then fine, I just want people to say whether or not they would be happy when other groups are being discriminated against and if not why not?

reply to post by Raist

You keep saying this isn’t about race, no it’s about discrimination. I am asking why you wouldn’t agree with someone being turned away because of their race but not because of their parents’ sexuality. I find it morally and logically incongruous that someone would be fine with one form of discrimination but disgusted by another.

We can choose our religion; you cannot chose your skin color. You can bring up the whole born gay thing and all but again the Christian faith has had this belief from the start.

What do you mean? You can choose your religion and not your skin colour so therefore discriminating based on skin colour is bad?

So then why isn’t discrimination based on sexuality also bad? Why does it matter if the Christian faith has had their prejudices from the start? What is different about a Christian who hates gays people and a racist who hates black people?

There is no need to force that life style into the school.

How is the daughter of a lesbian couple attending forcing a lifestyle onto the school? Are they demanding a monthly “kiss someone of the same sex” day?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

So are you also applying this to Christian gays and others who pick and choose what behaviors they feel like doing, ignoring the bible?

If you are referring to homosexuality as a 'behaviour' that is chosen, you've already missed the boat. I am referring to hypocrisy. Please...what is said about the subject in your owner's manual you call the Bible?

Like I said...what would Christ do? Would your Christ turn the little girl away from the doors of the school? If so, then he's not as hot as he's cracked up to be. If not, then who the hell are these theocratic apparatchiks to do so.

Some folks ought to worry a lot less about what goes on in other people's knickers, and a little more about how they, themselves, love their neighbours. I believe that's covered in the good book.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

We allow the KKK and the Black Panthers to remain do we not? Do they not discriminate on race? Guess what though this is America, even if I do not agree with their stance I agree they have the right to that. To do anything other would be the removal of rights from another.

As a Christian I do not hate gays, in fact my wife was with women when we met, long story short we loved each other and got married.

It is forced into the school because in schools like this the parents drop of and pick up the kids. The parents sign an agreement that they hold the same beliefs that the church/school does. If that church/school holds that homosexuality is wrong so must the parents or their children cannot go there. Other people do not want same sex couples coming to get their kids with while their kids are there. They do not want to have to explain why someone has two mommies or daddies. Find a school that allows homosexual couples and get over it. This group is not allowing it. Just like the Black Panthers are not allowing other races to join their group and just as you have to be a boy to be a boy scout or a girl to be a girl scout. This school is not getting government funds and the parents sending their kids there are paying taxes to support other schools. Let them decide who they want around their kids.

Plain and simple, you are beating a dead horse. This is a private organization. The only standard they must abide by is a certain level of education. If you cannot handle their rules you are not going to that school.

This is not about race, there are places allowed that do pick and chose by race, this is not one of them.

Raist

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join