It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Troops Punished After Refusing to Attend Evangelical Concert

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
Time and time again, various posters will state the the founding fathers are Christian men, and that they desired the perpetuation of this belief to ascend through the future of America. Opposing posters always provide bogus websites that smear this American dogma. The American military has always reinforced the religious courage of it's troops and this is no different.
Kick the lowlife out and continue the mission.
No star, No flag

What? Religious courage? How much courage, pray tell, does it take to be one of the majority? How much courage to conform? Those solders could have gone to the concert even though they didn't want to or don't share the same religion the concert was promoting, but instead chose not to attend. So, by your logic, because they chose not to go along with a group they are cowards?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hey if this creates cold blooded soldiers then i can see why the military wants to do this.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I'm all for separation of church and state, but did you know that it was never written into the constitution? I had a friendly argument about this at work a few years ago with a fellow worker. He was a christian right follower and insisted to me that the phrase "separation of church and state was never written into the constitution. To prove it to me he told me to go home and check it out on the internet. I did, and to my surprise he was absolutely right! I guess the way the story goes, Thomas Jefferson wrote a letter to some Danbury Baptists to settle fears that the state would stay out of the churches business. It wasn't meant to keep the church out of the state's business. See for yourself...
www.allabouthistory.org...

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish
reply to post by Sheol

Yeah, I think some people even refer to them as the Lord's Army.

Right on!! Our last commander-in-chief took his order from on-high, so he told us, didn't he?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
It's "smart" because they know that without some binding ideology, a unified control mechanism cannot stand.

The religious/cultural and ethnic pluralism cannot maintain control. It can work in peaceful transition, but one of the things needs to be binding, either ethnic or religious/cultural. It need not be both, but ideally it would be.

Rome was not ethnically united, but they had cultural/religious hegemony so that worked despite the ethnic differences.

The United States are trying to form a binding cultural/religious hegemony. The pangs we are witnessing with things like this, with the Muslim community center in New York, and other such issues are a result (a visual manifestation) of this process.

It's hard to see such a big forest, but you can see the detail of a single tree every once in a while.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sheol

Troops Punished After Refusing to Attend Evangelical Concert

www.truth-out.org

Pvt. Anthony Smith is the type of guy who stands up for what he believes in. That's why he decided to hold his commanding officers accountable for punishing him and fellow soldiers after they refused to attend an evangelical Christian rock concert at the Fort Eustis military post in Virginia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Now, I wonder what the reaction would have been if it were a peace loving Islamic concert with readings from the Quran.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
um yea so just so you guys know you do still have freedom of religion in the military... if PVT Anthony Smith's dog tags say no religious preference on them, and not christian/chatolic/muslim he and other soliders should not be punished...

however if the military is do damn religious, what happens to the ten commandments, like tho shalt not kill...?

kind of contradiction don't you think?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Yes, your co-worker is right. However, the 1st Amendment means that the United States gov't will establish no law regarding the practice of religion.

Establishing no law means no law to forbid, no law to coerce; no law at all. Thus, you cannot punish a soldier for not wanting to practice his superior's religion. That would be establishing a rule (a law).

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I'm a Christian (mystic nondualist) and even I abhor most Evangelical music ...its like early 80's amatuer cheesy hair band rock from Sweden or something. So I don't blame them for not going

Give me Bjork instead, Potishead, Mars Volta, Depeche Mode, Cat Power, or anything else please!!!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
I'm all for separation of church and state, but did you know that it was never written into the constitution? I had a friendly argument about this at work a few years ago with a fellow worker. He was a christian right follower and insisted to me that the phrase "separation of church and state was never written into the constitution. To prove it to me he told me to go home and check it out on the internet. I did, and to my surprise he was absolutely right! I guess the way the story goes, Thomas Jefferson wrote a letter to some Danbury Baptists to settle fears that the state would stay out of the churches business. It wasn't meant to keep the church out of the state's business. See for yourself...
www.allabouthistory.org...

yes, not in the constitution, just in the first amendment.
See my post, previous page.

As i said somewhere else: the constitution is like the bible: the only parts valid are the ones you agree with, right?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Shows you how little freedom our troops and us have...freaking ridiculous. I mean come on, its the first amendment. If they don't like Christianity then they don't have to go...simple as that. :/

Personally I do not blame them, If i just got done shooting someone the last thing i would want to do is go listen to christian music. No offense to those who still believe the bible. Just stating my opinion.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Why is the military sponsoring a Christian concert in the first place?

There should be No sponsored religion in government.

I am not saying those in the military of a certain faith can not arrange for concerts.

But the General should not be arranging it.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Why is the military sponsoring a Christian concert in the first place?

There should be No sponsored religion in government.

I am not saying those in the military of a certain faith can not arrange for concerts.

But the General should not be arranging it.

Oh you haven't heard half of it annee...
From the article linked in the OP

Headlining acts like BarlowGirl cost tens of thousands of dollars, and researchers with the MRFF later discovered that the Department of Defense has awarded multi-million dollar contracts for consultants behind spiritual fitness events.

I have to resort to jon stewart here:
www.thedailyshow.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
omg so what? orders are orders

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by piddles
the last thing anyone with half a brain wants to hear is Christian rock

At one time I would have agreed with you, but then I heard this group.

I like'em...and I'm so rooted in the Blues I named my girl child Gibson.

www.youtube.com...

but no military person should be forced to attend or punished for not participating in a religious event of any type.

[edit on 21-8-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The CO should be dishonorably discharged to teach a lesson to other officers that these kind of events should not occur again. If the US is to survive something has to be done to curb these religious zealots before we retreat to the 12th century like the nuts in the Middle East. Next thing you will see is burning of pagan, gays, transgendered and anyone else accused of being different.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I personally am a fundamental Baptist, believe the Bible is the Word of God and that this country was founded on Biblical principals. If others would follow more closely the teachings of the Bible, things would be a lot better for all in this country and the world.
Having said that, I would not have attended the concert either. You cannot mix things that are holy with things that are not. Doesn't it sound strange Christian and Rock being put together? And then having prayer to say all is well with this. It is not with me. I stand by my convictions that we will all appear before a Holy God someday and give an account for our lives. "True" fundamental Christians are not a threat to this country. They are statesmen, patriots and will defend this country and the constitution to the death if necessary

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I don't any of you actually know what the First Amendment actually says let alone have interpreted it properly. It is not Freedom from Religion, it is Freedom of Religion.
You also do not know that a significant amount of your perceived constitutional rights are suppressed during your enlistment in the Military. You are governed by the UCMJ then the Constitution. If he was ordered and it was a lawful order and he refused, then he should at the very least get NJP for the infraction. Looks like he did.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Would a Buddhist Concert make you feel better? Or maybe a band of wild natives dancing and singing naked on stage would suffice. Did the CO order the Soldier to Convert?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
why are we even saying anything honestly, this kind of crap is gonna happen regardless. At least that soldier remembered Honor Courage And Commitment. Yes Honor to stand against an unlawful order, the Courage to speak up and the Commitment to follow through. He will probably get discharged with an dishonorable discharge for doing something Honorable...whatever this country is lost and hopeless at this point.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join