It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fingerprint scanner at Wet N Wild?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I went to Wet N Wild water park in Orlando, FL today with a friend of mine. Well when I got to the line where you present your pass they asked me to scan my index finger. I asked her why they needed my fingerprint and I told her I was not comfortable with a water park taking my finger print. (I mean it's a water park, I'm not going into a court house or something like that and nowhere on my contract for the pass does it say I have to have a fingerprint scan. She said that is how they know it is your pass. I was thinking to myself this is completely weird I have ID as proof of who I am. I told her I could show my ID and she said they need the fingerprint scan. Now um how is my ID not good enough to get thru the gate with yet I was able to purchase a splash pass with it. (splash pass is when you pay like 10 dollars extra and get the rest of the year unlimited entry) Anyways... I scanned my finger because there was a line and I didn't want to make my friend wait and she was looking at me kind of funny cause I was questioning the girl. I wasn't too thrilled about it either.

I asked my friend about her thoughts on it and she said it was no big deal and to some it may not be but I have been going to Wet N Wild for YEARS and there is no need for this at all. Isn't this some sort of privacy invasion. I just don't see the logical need for them. It actually held up the line when the scanners gave them problems, which seemed often. I just found it creepy and strange. It's a water park not the White House! That lady said they had them at other theme parks located in Orlando as well.. I was at Busch Gardens in Tampa with my boyfriend a few months ago and they didn't require that. I wonder if this is something new.

I found an article online where a guy questions employees there and they told him it was a bone density scanner. The article is from last summer so when he mentions they aren't in service well they surely are. They are also not portable they are built into those turn rails on the side. I don't know anything about a bone density scanner so I don't know how those work compared to a finger print scanner.

Here is some of the article. There are pics on the site as well.

Upon my arrival on Monday July 6th, I patiently snapped a few pictures of the turnstile scanners at the entrance and was once again told that they were bone density scanners. I then showed my season pass, entered the park and headed right for the exit where a portable “Bone density scanner” was located. I asked the two young girls what this device was, and you guessed it, it was a “Bone density scanner.” I proceeded to ask them how they knew for sure, and they didn't have much to say. I asked one of the girls what she would think if it was a fingerprint scanner, and she gave me a really surprised, shocked look. I said, “Well, I think that's what you have here, and I think management has lied to you to appease your guests.” I said, “I'm just doing a little investigative journalism here, don't mind me.” None of the teens gave me any resistance or hassles, and I went on my way back home with the evidence.

wetnwildscanner

Does anyone else find this odd or is this just me? It just doesn't feel right to me when the local water park needs your fingerprint to gain access.

In the past you use to get a nice plastic card mailed to you if you had an annual pass like this, now it's a piece of paper that looks like a move ticket stub. Seems like they put that extra money from not printing cards to nice creepy privacy invading use.

What are your thoughts? Is this no big deal or what?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Because tourists often don't carry a form of photo ID and these water parks are mostly visited by tourists. My mum works on selling tickets to these parks to tourists so I learned a bit from what she's told me. But this being ATS and all, i wanna warn you about a conspiracy that mickey mouse is trying to clone the world using fingerprints.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I remember going to a wet n wild in El paso before but this was before I deployed last year. Weird that they would do this now when ID should be enought to get through. Thanks for the info. $&F!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

This creeps me out. Are we going to have to do this to get into a movie theater any time, soon? Will we have to scan our prints while checking out at the grocery store?

I have a question for you, were the prints of children being scanned, too? Or just adults?

I would have marched out of there with my kids in tow, and have demanded a refund, if it was me!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I'd stop going to Wet N Wild.

I understand their wanting to make sure people aren't abusing the pass, but fingerprinting people over it? Yeah, no. That I won't support.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

you should really read through the thread a bit before jumping to conclusions. look at THE VERY FIRST response and it explains the situation..just sayin'

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!

I remember going to a wet n wild in El paso before but this was before I deployed last year. Weird that they would do this now when ID should be enought to get through. Thanks for the info. $&F!

I didn't know they had a Wet N Wild in Texas, I was only aware of Orlando and one of the Carolinas. Nice

Yea I thought it was weird too. I didn't think a water park would require a finger scan to get in the door. My friend wants to go back but I don't know if I want to...I guess it's too late now, they have my fingerprint.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by falige

you should really read through the thread a bit before jumping to conclusions. look at THE VERY FIRST response and it explains the situation..just sayin'

Well, your Mommy makes it sound like no big deal. So, I don't find your response worthy.

Does your Mommy know exactly where all these finger prints are stored, or whom they are shared with?

When a person shows their ID, or park pass, it then goes home with them, where as fingerprints are STORED!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Yeah, only been there twice and I missed the last chance to go when I overslept during worktime where it was madatory to go. Either way people should think about what might be going on with these scanners and why they are bad for every scene.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

lololololololololol. Well i only stated that to let people know i wasn't talking out my ass and actually have some experience in tourism? Damn are people critical on the Internet. And they get wiped away yearly as I've had to get my fingerprints renewed every time i renew my annual pass.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Because tourists often don't carry a form of photo ID and these water parks are mostly visited by tourists. My mum works on selling tickets to these parks to tourists so I learned a bit from what she's told me. But this being ATS and all, i wanna warn you about a conspiracy that mickey mouse is trying to clone the world using fingerprints.

Tourists don't carry ID's, sorry but that is the silliest thing I have ever heard. Tourists always have their ID. You think tourists don't carry ID? Sorry but anyone I know when they visit somewhere they have ID.

You can buy tickets at a gas station rest stop on 95 if you wanted that doesn't matter. You need ID for season passes.

Also I beg to differ on the majority as well. It's mostly Floridians that are there. Yes there are lots of tourists but the majority seem to be from Florida. I know tons of people with yearly passes, it's cheap. It's only 10-20 dollars more depending on what time of year it is to get a yearly pass. It's a cheap and fun thing to do when you live here. I did the same with Islands of Adventure passes. We would go every weekend. My friend who I went with today has been every week since she got her passes. I have another friend who goes every Sunday with her family. So in my experience and living in the area for 26 years, it's mostly Floridians.

Um thanks for the Mickey info

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by falige

What experience do you have, exactly? You said your Mum. That means you hear what your Mum is telling you.

Does your Mum work in the security office? No. You stated she works selling tickets.

LOLOLOLOLO!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

This creeps me out. Are we going to have to do this to get into a movie theater any time, soon? Will we have to scan our prints while checking out at the grocery store

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I was just really surprised to see them. It did creep me out.

I have a question for you, were the prints of children being scanned, too? Or just adults?

I didn't see any kids in line. They were all adults.

I would have marched out of there with my kids in tow, and have demanded a refund, if it was me!

Yeah again I didn't see kids in line.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
duplicate post

[edit on 8/20/2010 by mblahnikluver]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
I'd stop going to Wet N Wild.

I understand their wanting to make sure people aren't abusing the pass, but fingerprinting people over it? Yeah, no. That I won't support.

My thoughts exactly! They use to give you a plastic card with your name on it for passes not it's scanner!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Are you kidding me? YOU are the expert? Please stop trolling my thread.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

lololololololololol. Well i only stated that to let people know i wasn't talking out my ass and actually have some experience in tourism? Damn are people critical on the Internet. And they get wiped away yearly as I've had to get my fingerprints renewed every time i renew my annual pass.

Oh you are trusting aren't you? You know for a fact those scans are wiped? How do you now what they do with them? Employees were told they were bone density scanners, they lied to their own employees. They dont want you to know what it really is.

I see you are new, you might want to read the terms and conditions on posting rules.

You stated your mom worked at some ticket counter, you didn't say you had experience in this. What is your tourism experience?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I could see it being used instead of a pass since there's nothing to lose and it can store pertinent information related to the water park about you. I think a lot of it boils down to how the information is being stored, who can access it and what information it contains. Of course it could also be used as a guise for nefarious purposes.

I haven't been to a water park in a while but don't they only need your ID to verify age? Is it just fingerprint #023554 which stores information related to the rides, how often you attend the water park, valid dates of the pass, etc.? Does it identify and connect your personal information, besides age, with your fingerprint? How is it stored, shared, what's contained and who can access it? What's their privacy policy and do you trust them with it? Without some questions answered I'm on the fence.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Prior to my membership with ATS 5 years ago I remember a theme park having the one-finger biometric identification element, it's for a few things.

One-Finger Biometric Walt Disney World

I do not remember which theme park it was back then however.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Biometrics

Biometrics comprises methods for uniquely recognizing humans based upon one or more intrinsic physical or behavioral traits.

In computer science, in particular, biometrics is used as a form of identity access management and access control.

It is also used to identify individuals in groups that are under surveillance.

I only used the Disney video as an example of what you're referring to.

This is to eliminate a few problems as well as advanced conditioning.

1) Pedophiles in theme parks make bad media coverage for Disney.

Theme parks have gotten a bad name due to child abductions over the years.

They are target locations for pedophiles to abduct children, right from their parents, because parents are distracted during their time, family is separated often, one parent takes one child, the one goes with the other parent.

Theme parks are aggresively trying to stop this from happening.

2) Looking for people with warrants, B.O.L.O's, and or fugitives from justice.

Yes, criminals take vacations too, hide out in plain sight, some run for office.

Law Enforcement is notified if these pop up red-flags on silent alarms with Park Security.

Think of this as cooperative efforts between corporations and Law Enforcement.

3) Foreigners who slip into America and or who come here regardless of their statuses, often go to theme parks, some are on terror watch-lists.

Some are criminals within their own countries, regardless of America's definition of a criminal.

This is as well advanced conditioning upon the Government and corporatons.

Towards preparing you to accept being bio-metrically tracked everywhere.

And still the sheeple bleat mildly as they are herded through the turnstiles.

Eventually it will all lead to corrals in F.E.M.A. Camps due to a disaster or "disaster".

No Place To Hide : Face Recognition, Information Data-Mining, and Loss of Anonymity

It's all about information and data-mining to some degree or another.

Some of it is interesting and some of it is frustrating as Hell.

Sorry, I trust the Government zero, I have no need for Government.

They are merely an organization which will do whatever they want.

I am however ambivalent towards Government as I see them as useless.

Law Enforcement is fine to agree until it is turned into tyranny by those above them, politican's with agendas, greed and corruption, before the people.

Sheepdogs vs. Wolves : Law Enforcement, Predators and Prey, and Love or Hate Cops...

I have respect for the basic degrees of Government the basic.

It however irritates me to no end when it comes to foreign and domestic policy.

Too many times are politician's lying and hiding behind duplicitous policies.

Data-mining is just one such thing I have serious mistrust of Government in regards to our information, because information is power.

And Government, take your pick of which one, usually abuses that power.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Hospitals are scanning your palms now. They don't tell you what they are doing unless you ask about it. When you are being admitted, they just say put your hand here. It is something that looks kind of like a plastic black square and kind of like an ashtray...only the cut-outs are not to hold cigs. The cut out parts are to rest your fingers into so that your palm is stretched out.

These tactics are becoming invasive. And they are not disclosing to you WHAT they are doing with your scans and WHO they may be selling the images to.

People need to realize it's not the government doing this. It is a network of secret societies that is dictating these aggressions and they are doing it through corporations. In some cases, you may think it's the gov., but if you dig deeper you will find that what you may have believed to be a gov. entity is actually a private corporation masquerading.

When I was at *mart today, I heard the customer service clerk ask a woman for her ss number in order to complete a return.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join