It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More full page pop ups!!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Out of curiosity, do these pop ups still appear or are they gone?

Considering you've run several antivirus scanners, many which removes malware automatically when run, it could thus be possible the virus is already gone and you simply missed it being removed.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
hey Snarf
you are a smart poster thats why I thought id post my two cents.

Ive run into some tricky ones and no proggy gets everything.
Im really pleased with Malwarbytes

Panda neeeeeh. its OK....

Next time I'm payin (september ) its malwarebytes backing up bit defender. Or Avast pro is not bad either.
If SaS works better then spyware doctor I might spend the dough there too.
I've found its good to have three...
AV, AV backup, and a spyware killer with realtime protection.

Also Zonealarm has a nice free firewall and you need to OK out going.
It seems to be a big improvement over the older versions , and I think Id recommend it. If something is phoning home it will let you know.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodaggam

The one popup did happen today, when i clicked on the login.

So far, every scan result says "items detected: 0"

Im awaiting analysis at bleepingcomputer.com to analyze the hijack this and DDS log files.

I've run the trendmicro you suggested, malwarebytes, and microsoft security essentials...all come up negative. I can't imagine i'd need to run more than 3 separate virus scanners....but ill await the results of my log files, and update as soon as they have something to say.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
I know you're not being malicious by saying this, but what you're basically saying is that Me, and the others who have experienced events either similar, or exactly like them, are liars.

Assumptions again.

The point being that if I, or those who are most-likely to give me a quick heads-up, are unaware of a potential problem, then you shouldn't be surprised over our surprise.

With over 150,000 daily visitors, we get (at best) a handful of these difficult-to-trace complaints every month. There are so many variables involved (such as IE exploits that lie dormant waiting on certain browser events before popping a full page ad of their own) it often becomes impossible to troubleshoot a problem without specifics. I'm sorry, but that's just the nature of these things.

In the end, we are:
1) only working with first-tier ad networks that promise not to do these things
2) proactively scan our advertisers for any malware or inappropriate actions
3) immediately investigate any problem where some identifying data/evidence has been provided
4) remove ads (or disabled entire ad networks) when a problem has been identified

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
We've also completed a full report of the activity of all ads appearing on ATS (including international) via our ad-scanning vendor, The Media Trust, and none utilize any assets or redirects to the offending domain, dailynews7.com.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
electronplumber.com...
I found this..that dailynews7.com seems to be running a work from home scam...
so they have some shady practices going on there...

DailyNews7.com does none of these things. No where does it say it’s an advertisement. It has a quote from Larry King that he most certainly never made about the “Home Income System”. It has a Photoshopped cover of Newsweek as well. It even has a fake ad for Dish Network that brings you to the offer page for the Home Income Kit if you click on it.

some where an adware or redirect is going to turn up it looks like.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Dear OP. I have two words for you.

Linux.

Firefox.

I have been here for awhile, and have yet to even see a pop-up, and would freak out if I did see one, it has been so long. Why put more and more money in Microsoft's products, and why put up with virus/malware/trojans/hijackers/other stuff that makes you go postal?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Last time I'm asking.

Did you look in the regestry for those bogus server addresses?

Have you looked in your LAN settings in Internet Explorer to make sure it is set to auto DNS, and that it has not switched to a proxy server.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
what addons do you have on your browser?

some may be just a front for adware.

[edit: please dont tell me you let programs install ask/yahoo toolbars.]

[edit on 21-8-2010 by MR BOB]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

This keeps happening to me too when ever I log into ATS. I have been running scans since last night and it stilll happened again today. No other browsers are open, and it happens only when i click log in, on ATS.

Does anyone else have any other advice? Thanks in advance.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLaPPiE
Last time I'm asking.

Did you look in the regestry for those bogus server addresses?

Have you looked in your LAN settings in Internet Explorer to make sure it is set to auto DNS, and that it has not switched to a proxy server.

Yes, to both questions.

Virus scans come up negative. Nothing peculiar, or so im told, in the hijack this log.

Apparently im just imagining things because, as im told, this doesn't seem to be happening to anyone else.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
No pop-ups for me either. But here's what I normally do and it usually works when McAfree, Doctor and the rest of the party failed me:

Try another browser than what you are used to normally as a temporary solution.

Or...

Clear the entire history, cookies, etc, and then reinstall the browser (Firefox, in this case) after uninstalling it.

The second method seemed to be the most useful, but I'm not sure if it would help you in your situation since I usually do this when trojans are abound and McAfree seemed to take it's frickin' time in removing it.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
i tend to get pop-ups for net flix more often then not when i log in to ATS. it rarely happens on any other site, but i still do get occasional pop ups. im not to knowledgeable when it comes to computers though so i just put the 2 and 2 together. ive stopped going to all the other sites that open up pop up windows, all but ATS.. so now its only ATS and its always an add for net flix. any ideas why?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I had this problem and was able to whip it.
Unfortunately we won't all have the same fix.

It was called Google redirect or something. No scans could find it.
Google and ATS would pop up a new browser window with a full page add from a reputable co. like verizon or netflix.

Try running the temp file cleaner from: www.geekstogo.com... to clean out any nasties in the temp files.

1) I found the DNS area in my router set to a specific address when it should have been set to auto.

2) I found entries in the registry pointing to bogus DnsNameServers. (see my other posts for details on this one)

3) The LAN setting in IE had been set from auto, to using a bogus proxy server.

The use of scanners was not at all effective in stopping this one.

Normal steps to kill-em are:
Run rkill.exe, .com, or .scr to stop any running bs.
Run temp file cleaner.
Scan with MalwareBytes, AdAware, Spybot, Super Spyware..and finish up with combo-fix.

So sick of windows open holes, and I have not been gaming, so I set the clean drive aside after a backup. Picked me up a little 32 gig solid state drive, and slapped UBUNTU on it, like all the rest of my machines. So much better.

Lastly, I have had (running XP) a problem on ATS, where you click on a page..get the header with William One Sac, but nothing else for a long time, but if I hit back button then foreword button it would load fine. This problem was intermittent at best, but very annoying. Now with Linux, this site seems to run perfectly! I don't know if the spell check lines under misspelled words is new, or if it only started with Linux, but I like that too.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Thank you to all. Mine is all fixed now.
Have a great day everyone!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Just get privoxy. Block 99% of ads and redirects. www.privoxy.org...

Similar to AdBlocker but better.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
ya know...its funny that "The Ev3nt" that is now being advertised on the front page of ATS, in all it's annoying advertising glory, is also the same advertisement that I was told a month ago didn't exist

LIterally...the same one. Now, instead of a popup, it's a lightbox.

Guess I wasn't lying, afterall, eh?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
"The Ev3nt" Ad really annoyed me.
There was no way showing on my computer to close the ad and it blocked the recent post button. hell it blocked most of the screen.
I tried everything i could think of to close the ad for 30 minutes or do a workaround and finely just used ad blocker to shut down the ad.

If ATS is going to allow these ads at least put a close button on them so we can turn them off and get to the site.

I already know about "The Ev3nt" from all the ads on TV and plan to watch it so why annoy people. they are ether going to watch it or not.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

yea..i got the giant ad too..

i just clicked on a tab on top and then worked my way in...

sucks..but i t worked...

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Actually I had a full pop-up flash ad overlay for the new "The Event" miniseries. . I ended up opening another browser instance so that I could log in, then closed the browser window that had the full page popup.

This happened on a managed company networked computer.

Folks, this stuff apparently happens from time to time and it is a bit presumptuous to always blame the user. Fortunately for me this is the first time I have experiences any advertisement irregularities, but it did happen. .

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join