It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US stresses military role in Iraq, combat brigades under different name

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

US stresses military role in Iraq, combat brigades under different name

rawstory.com

US troops will still be in combat and taking on Islamist militants in Iraq even as the American military moves to an "advise and assist" role with a smaller force, officials said.

The withdrawal of the last US combat brigade at dawn on Thursday was hailed as a symbolic moment for the controversial American presence in Iraq, more than seven years since the invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein.

However, as reported Thursday by The Army Times, US combat brigades remain in Iraq, with different
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Troops gone, US to rely on 7,000 contractors in Iraq: report
U.S. ends combat operations in Iraq

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   

As the final convoy of the Army’s 4th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, based at Fort Lewis, Wash., entered Kuwait early Thursday, a different Stryker brigade remained in Iraq.

Soldiers from the 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team of the 25th Infantry Division are deployed in Iraq as members of an Advise and Assist Brigade, the Army’s designation for brigades selected to conduct security force assistance.

So while the “last full U.S. combat brigade” have left Iraq, just under 50,000 soldiers from specially trained heavy, infantry and Stryker brigades will stay, as well as two combat aviation brigades.

This is exactly what I have been saying the whole time. Obama did not end the war, nor is it an end to the combat role for US troops, rather Obama is merely fooling the public into beliving that he is ending the war by simply renaming the mission and the troops taking part in that mission. Same stuff, different name.

I believe that it is paramount that we inform our neighbors that nothing is changing in Iraq, save for the terminology being used. This is a clear example of how the government counts on our ignorance to push forward with their agenda.

I started a thread yesterday, titled "Troops gone, US to rely on 7,000 contractors in Iraq: report", hinting at this very same issue. It is more clear than ever, the only thing changing, is the name. We are not pulling out of Iraq, nor is the war ending.

I suggest that everyone read the article.

***UPDATE***

Even Wikipedia is stating that the Iraq War ended on August 19, 2010.

--airspoon

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Something I find the media is missing here is the 50K troops still there.

All day yesterday the TV was loaded with crying eye interviews with troops coming home.

Not once did I see anyone interviewing the troops still stuck there.

You'd think it was V-Day or something. Nothing could be further from the truth.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Do you think the forces that remain are primarily there to guard the road and pipeline they are constructing?
Are they strategically placed in this regard?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
No, that role will likely be taken by private security companies. /which pipeline are you talking about, the one leading to the ocean?

As far as why troops are staying there, the yare staying because the war isn't over. The US is maintaining its precense in the country and the primary objectives still remain.

You see, one of the main points of Obama's stump, was that he would end the war in Iraq. He had to fool the American people into beliving that he was keeping good on his promise. So, he is relying on the ignorance of the American people and at the same time, pulling the wool over our eyes, irregardless of how transparent that wool really is.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I love the media humpfest about Obama "ending the Iraq war". All Obama has done is adhere to the withdrawal schedule that was negotiated by the Bush administration in late 2008.

The emphasis has shifted to Advise and Assist. There will still be combat operations, just on a smaller scale, mostly involving Spec Ops.

The State Dept will be relying on contractors since the DSS doesn't have nearly the manpower to support their requirements.

Not a whole lot has changed, its just on a smaller scale.

new topics

top topics

join