It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israelis and Palestinians to Resume Talks, Officials Say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Israelis and Palestinians to Resume Talks, Officials Say

www.nytimes.com

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton is expected to announce Friday that Israel and the Palestinians will return to direct negotiations for the first time in 20 months, delivering the Obama administration a small victory in its protracted effort to revive the Middle East peace process, two officials briefed on the situation said Thursday evening.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Finally, Secretary Clinton makes a move. President Obama is expected to invite Netanyahu and Abbas to Washington in September.

This along with today's other story about the U.S. persuading Israel that Iran is a year away (additional news link) is good news.

Things may finally be chilling out a bit in the Middle East.

Let's hope so.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Twenty years ago they did the same thing, but Israel never held to its side of the bargain, continued the occupation and the expansion of settlements.

I'm not an optimist, at least when it comes to Israel, but if this proves to be productive then I will call it the greatest achievement in Israel's history, not Zionist history.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
It sure would be, oozy. Even another real cease fire would be an accomplishment for now...if Israel can maintain it this time.

Secretary Clinton is due to announce this in about an hour.
www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Israel, Palestinians to Begin Direct Peace Talks on Sept. 2, Clinton Says

The purpose is to “resolve all final-status issues, which we believe can be completed in one year,” Clinton said today in Washington. “These negotiations should take place without preconditions,” she said.

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and King Abdullah of Jordan will join the talks, Clinton said.

[edit on 8/20/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I hope that it finally will work out, but so far after each round of direct talks (that all failed) situation got worse. Maybe i am too pessimistic, but i do not see how refugees problem can be solved and without it there will be no final agreement.
So the way i see it - there are two not-so-willing-to-talk sides, one mediator that will pressure both sides heavily to get results due to shaky political situation at home and one very important issue that is impossible to agree upon.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

We can only pray for an outcome.

Apart from that, talk is cheap & actions speak louder than words...

So, while this next round of talk is going on, is Israel going to freeze its settlement expansions??
If they don't do that then there is no point wasting the airfare to the US for this meeting..

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Why now? The September deadline for the end of the moratorium.

Factbox: Major issues in Israeli-Palestinian peacemaking

* Two-state solution
* Israeli settlements
* Jerusalem
* Refugees

[edit on 8/21/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Some considerations that will no doubt be taken into account during the peace talks that are starting this week.

Israeli UN Ambassador Gabriela Shalev: Two-State Solution Will Succeed

Israel, Palestinians Jockey Ahead of Summit

top topics

join