It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today I made my community smile.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+58 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Yesterday a great idea befell me. I was sitting at home watching all these videos of the 'love police' and people just trying to make people more socialized. While thinking about how disconnected my little suburban city is, and to think even small towns are now so void of humanity. I formed an idea.

So today I went out.
Bought 3 cases of water for 6 bucks and made way to my downtown core, at a place called 4 corners. Which has banks on 3 of its corners ( use to have 4).
I got my cooler of Ice cold water and got a white shirt, which I wrote

SMILE EVERYTHING IS OKAY!

For an hour and a half I made people smile and offered cold water to my community.
It was truly one of the best experiences of my life. Many people refused, probably only about 10% of the people I asked took the water from me.

Though, for the people that refused, I made them smile.
THe best part was the jehovas who told me I was at their corner. They soon realized they could not do much with me close by shouting at people to smile and giving my fellow men and women water.

In conclusion, I am going to make this routine. As 6 dollars for 72 bottles of water is nothing, at the cost of putting smiles on peoples faces. I ask all of you to maybe do something similar. Meet a stranger. Meet your neighbours and most of all smile.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by tribaltrip]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
That's really nice of you. I noticed other people doing the same thing in the city, but they were asking for $1 donations or something. Still not a bad deal for the convenience of getting a bottle of water while in traffic. Good for you.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Its a good thing you brought that up.
Many people inquired about what organization I was with.
And there faces were plain priceless when I told them there was none, I was just their neighbor. Many of them asked if they could donate, and I had to inform them.
You are donating already. Just keep smiling, your donation will go a long way.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
HOW DARE YOU INVADE the Jehovah Witness's corner!!

That is some NERVE you had to stand on that corner that they apparently OWN, to conduct their business of SPEWING NONSENSE while you make people SMILE and actually DO SOMETHING for them!!

The NERVE of you.

Well done! You actually did MORE for people in that SINGLE time period then the Jehovah Witnesses (or ANY Religious folks) have done in decades. WELL DONE!!

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Baloney]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Awesome stuff my friend, starred and flagged.

Just think of the butterfly effect of making 72 people smile a day, and for only 6$!

A deed like that will ripple out positive energy having effects you can't imagine.

link   
Double post

[edit on 19-8-2010 by bringthelight]

link   
Trip, please delete

link   
Jesus I don't know how this happened, 4 reposts, hopefully mods will delete the last 3

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tribaltrip

I read your story. The part about "the jehovas" lost me though. Jehovah's Witnesses would not do that.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by bringthelight
A deed like that will ripple out positive energy having effects you can't imagine.

It will ripple all the way to the city's health department where they'll book you for giving 'potentially harmful' water to strangers with possible conspiring to poison after building up trust charges through confidence tricks if they are really bored (or check your ISP for sites visited).

I hear ya with the passing on the happiness partner, I really do - but they'll stop you from doing it or some nutjob will copy you and actually poison people.

I like the concept and wish you best of luck with it - just know that cynicism breeds more and someone will try to gain from your good efforts.

Still, well done on making some people happy today - I'm sure there will be many unusual talks around some dinner tables/across some TV dinner trays tonight.

-m0r

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Congratulations on a brillant and yet so simple idea!! S&F.

It made me smile while I was reading it

I am a strong believer in "what goes around, comes around"

You have certainly started the ball rolling in your favour

Keep up the great work!!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tribaltrip

Hi Tribaltrip-

That was a very positive thing to do and I wanted to say thank you for doing it

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Excellent and brave idea!
But you could run into some trouble because you hand out (free) water, it could be seen as a commercial business and you probably will need some sort of stupid license that isn't really relevant.

But it does really good making people smile. I have a cat that always walks along when I go for a walk with my American Bulldog. People are very amazed and amused when I walk with them. 99% of the people automatically start to smile and it makes me smile to.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I'm giving you a star and flag which I don't do often....but you have done good I applaud you my friend.

You have made me smile and my heart felt love for your kindness to others.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I commend you on your contribution to your neighborhood. I think many around here could learn a thing or 2 from this. A smile can be contagious until those ask, What are you up to?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
salute friend,you have raised my mood. its really wonderfull thing that you do

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Hey nice to read and nice to know you enjoyed yourself. I would have been too shy for that, but do appreciate the efforts of others who also strive to make the community better, in their own way.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

So you say cynicism breeds more, yet you take a wonderful deed and immediatly put the most negative spin possible on it. What can be more cynical than that?

In no way do I mean to attack you, I just want you to realize you look at a good thing and your first instinct is to think of the worst possible thing that can come from it.

What we focus on becomes our reality and I don't want your reality to be people looking to poisonin eachother at every steet corner!

I wish you the best!

Removed unnecessary complete post quote and replace with "Rely to" tag.

Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2010/8/19 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Thank you everyone for your responses. I hope I have inspired a few people to day on top of enlightening everyones day.
I have thought of the possibility of getting in trouble from the corps or even from the city. But I mean, there is no way there is law that states.

On hot days, no one is permitted to hand out ice cold bottles of water to the public.

It is ridiculous to think that I live in a free country, and I can't even give people water. I'm sure I ticked off the business' who make a living charging a full DOLLAR per bottle. When it costs 2$ for a whole pack, but it's alright because today we were all smiling.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by tribaltrip]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Oh yes and one more comment.
About the Jehovas, they did in fact tell me it was their corner, but not in a hostile sense. They went on to explain that it was the barrier for them and that they had to stay in the zone and I told them it was rediculos that they had "barriers" and that they should spread their words freely.

One of the guys kept distance from me but the other one, he was amazed, he asked me alot of questions to which I answered as basic as I could. I felt as if he wanted to say more, but couldn't. I almost told him to take off that geeky shirt and hand out some water to his fellow man. But hey, the boy had his own effort.

Another thing that people were shocked about was that I was a youth (21). Many people could not believe I was doing it as they say, 'Just because'
I had to tell many people that it could have been anyone, not just me.
I was no different than anyone else. Just another guy with a heart and an idea.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join