It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TIME Poll: Majority Oppose Mosque, Many Distrust Muslims

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Like it or not, this is what America thinks about the mosque being built near ground zero in NYC, and about muslims in general.

Perhaps more interesting (shocking?) is the poll result buried deep in the article that almost 1 in 4 Americans believes obama is a muslim.

source

Opponents of the planned Islamic community center and mosque near Ground Zero in lower Manhattan have public opinion firmly in their corner. According to a new TIME poll, 61% of respondents oppose the construction of the Park51/Cordoba House project, compared with 26% who support it. More than 70% concur with the premise that proceeding with the plan would be an insult to the victims of the attacks on the World Trade Center. Opposition to the project appears to derive largely from the conviction that the proposed site of the project — just two blocks from Ground Zero, in a building that formerly housed a Burlington Coat Factory outlet — is so close to "hallowed ground," as President Obama put it.

and

Yet the survey also revealed that many Americans harbor lingering animosity toward Muslims. Twenty-eight percent of voters do not believe Muslims should be eligible to sit on the U.S. Supreme Court. Nearly one-third of the country thinks adherents of Islam should be barred from running for President — a slightly higher percentage than the 24% who mistakenly believe the current occupant of the Oval Office is himself a Muslim.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Yes. Very interesting.

Some distrust Muslims and some of us think the president is a Muslim. There's got to be some correlation there, don't you think?

I mentioned this Time poll too in my thread about the Pew poll today.

www.abovetopsecret.com...] Nearly 1 in 5 Americans Thinks Obama Is Muslim, Survey Shows

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
How about moving some of that distrust to the elites? Stupid, stupid
sheeple.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
It's sad to see that so many people oppose the free exercise of religion in this country... So sad...

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
It's sad to see that so many people oppose the free exercise of religion in this country... So sad...

Yes, we read here on ATS post after post by liberals denigrating religious freedom by using terms like "right-wing christian wackos", etc.

Really sad, and also hypocritical for those same people to get their panties in a wad over a muslim mosque (likely) purposefully being built in an area that will bother a majority of Americans.

Wait! Liberals actually care about religion and are in favor of it all of the sudden? Wonder why the sudden change?

It almost adds more fuel to the fire over obama's is he a muslim issue, since his supporters seemed mostly agnostic or against any religion before obama came on the scene. But now that obama is president, religion is all of the sudden a big deal to them and not just any religion - only islam ...

Now listen to the "rooster crow 3 times" as they all rush to deny what I just posted.

[edit on 8/19/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
It's sad.

This is what you Americans have been reduced to. Suspicious, bigoted and paranoid.

Also what's with the labels being thrown around all the time?

Liberal this, Liberal that.....

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I always get the feeling that the only people taking these polls are news-corporation addicted bible thumping bigots. I cannot believe that the majority of honest hardworking americans have these outspoken prejudices.

We cant all be so stupid as to generalize an ethnic group with such objective negativity.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SPACEYstranger

You understand how scientific polls are done, right? They don't just pick random people to ask. Instead they have pre-identified small groups of people that have consistently responded in the same way that the general population does. The plus or minus error percentage they always quote represents the usually very small possibility that the polling groups will be "wrong" on this particular poll.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

polls will determine the fate of the world!

Science rules... BILL BILL

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

you see how that works

you dont like obamacare or obama policies your a bigot,racist,nazi,right wing tea blanker.

your agianst the mosque your a bigot, right wing tea blankers, nazi,racist,islamophobe, bible thumber, etc

ask any of those pro mosquers what they think of gwb or republicans and you will get a very different answer.

which shows the hypocrisy and that one term that they all throw around so much simply because using makes them what they are labeling everyone else:bigot.

as to that poll listen up people ats isnt a real representation of the country at large.

there are a significant majority opposed to the idea of the mosque.

you wouldnt think that reading most posts here tho but hey most people take what most people post as the "honest truth"

my 2 cents

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Here's the truth for those who need a rest from the bumpy ride along the Muslim Bashing Band Wagon trail.

I'll try to post highlights of a transcript if I can find one.

Off to look.

Peace

EDIT TO ADD:

the2ofusr1 gets the credit for posting this video on another thread - Applause to the2ofusr1

[edit on 19-8-2010 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It really doesn't surprise me in the least. It seems as if we are very well versed in vilifying people that differ from us.

Just look at what happened to the Native Americans.

We only need to look at our History and where the Native Americans, the true Americans, are today to understand the root of the opinions of many Americans about Muslims.

When was the last time Here in the USA, in all of our media outlets,that we saw a Native American ANYTHING ?

A Mayor, Newscaster,Doctor, Nurse, Sports Hero, Plumber, Oil Well Worker....?

Why ? Because they were eradicated and those few remaining have been cast aside, and are literally speaking, "Are out of sight and out of mind" .

They live in seclusion on their "Reservations" far away from the rest of America.

What next, a reservation for Muslims in which to build their mosques ?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Wait! Liberals actually care about religion and are in favor of it all of the sudden? Wonder why the sudden change?

You've got it all wrong. I don't support the free exercise of religion because I'm a liberal. I support the free exercise of religion because I'm a conservative!
Yes, that's right. Like any good conservative, I support the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. And THAT is why I support the building of the mosque.

Originally posted by neo96
there are a significant majority opposed to the idea of the mosque.

Yeah, well, that's too bad. The will of the majority can't outweigh the rights of the minority. Majority Rule, Minority Rights

• Majority rule is a means for organizing government and deciding public issues; it is not another road to oppression. Just as no self-appointed group has the right to oppress others, so no majority, even in a democracy, should take away the basic rights and freedoms of a minority group or individual.

• Minorities – whether as a result of ethnic background, religious belief, geographic location, income level, or simply as the losers in elections or political debate – enjoy guaranteed basic human rights that no government, and no majority, elected or not, should remove.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Like it or not, this is what America thinks about the mosque being built near ground zero in NYC, and about muslims in general.

The people responsible for building that mosque or cultural center has went through the proper channels to get permission to build.

Isn't that the American way?

As for Obama, really doesn't matter to me if he is a Muslim or not. He was elected by Americans at the polls and as an American I respect who some of my fellow Americans believed was better suited for the job of President.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

jam the american way is to have your rights trampled on and your land stolen through eminent domain....

you aint an american til those happen:p

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

So America think this. I keep asking but have yet to get a decent response. What about what NYer's think? Why is this an issue outside of NY but not one inside of the city?

[edit on 19-8-2010 by intrepid]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Alright, let's get back on topic now please.

Always feel free to express your opinion but they must be on topic and within the bounds of good taste and civility.

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

So America think this. I keep asking but have yet to get a decent response. What about what NYer's think? Why is this an issue outside of NY but not one inside of the city?

[edit on 19-8-2010 by intrepid]

A great question intrepid.

Here you go (as of yesterday):

source

ALBANY, N.Y. – A majority of New Yorkers remain opposed to a mosque proposed as part of a planned Islamic cultural center near ground zero, and the issue will be a factor for many voters this fall, according to a statewide poll released Wednesday.

The Siena College poll showed 63 percent of New York voters surveyed oppose the project, with 27 percent supporting it. That compares with 64 percent opposed and 28 percent in favor two weeks earlier, results that are within the polls' sampling margins.
Democrats nationwide, including President Barack Obama, have defended the proposal as protected by the Constitution's guarantee of religious freedom. Many Republicans have called it an affront to the memory of those killed in the Sept. 11 attacks.

A CNN/Opinion Research poll released last week found that nearly 70 percent of Americans opposed the mosque plan, while 29 percent approved.

So, there you have it. A majority of New Yorkers are also opposed to the mosque being built near ground zero.

Unfortunately to some here on ATS, that also equates to 63% of the people in New York being "stupid".

[edit on 8/19/2010 by centurion1211]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join