It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your home from 114 million miles away...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Ok, to some this photo may make some people consider how insignificant we are, in relation to the rest of the universe.

But it also makes me think how insignificant the rest of the universe is, in relation to us.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

and here I thought we were just a pale blue dot.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
That is just an awesome photo. Many thanks for sharing

Star and flag from me!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
That Picture is awesome!! The picture is very humbling. It shows how insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things but at the same time how there are most likely an infinite number of tiny worlds just like ours filled with life which IS significant.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I've often wondered about scales. Are we smaller relative to the known universe than an atom is relative to this planet? Imagine the implications of that, at least philosophically and psychologically. I've always known that we were miniscule beyond reckoning. But this really helps me to visualize it.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
I've often wondered about scales. Are we smaller relative to the known universe than an atom is relative to this planet? Imagine the implications of that, at least philosophically and psychologically. I've always known that we were miniscule beyond reckoning. But this really helps me to visualize it.

I'd say that we are infinitely smaller than an atom in relation to this planet. IF the universe is infinite then what size does that make us (in relation to infinity)? Surely the answer is 'unmeasurable'. That then brings questions regarding actual existence and our perception of the whole thing... Life is an incredible gift that we take for granted but we are as fish living in an aquarium where the only knowledge of what lies beyond the tank is what we can see.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Nice picture. To truely show how 114 millions miles is nothing, to travel this distance at the speed of light it's a 10 minutes trip. Compare this to the size of our galaxy which is 100,000 light years wide, 114 millions miles is not even next door, it's still pretty much inside the house.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Kaynos]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaynos
Nice picture. To truely show how 114 millions miles is nothing, to travel this distance at the speed of light it's a 10 minutes trip. Compare this to the size of our galaxy which is 100,000 light years wide, 114 millions miles is not even next door, it's still pretty much inside the house.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Kaynos]

Right. 114 Million miles is nothing really -- it's just a little more than the distance from the Earth to the Sun (which is about 93 Million miles)...

...and, still, we are that small.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Hey look, I can see my house! In all seriousness, this is amazing. It makes you feel as if we are stranded on a small life raft, in the middle of a vast, invisible ocean. It's quite saddening to think just how lonely we really are, stranded out here, imprisoned by the fabric of space-time and crippled by the indifferent hand of gravity.

Anyway, awesome thread! S&F

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
reply to post by kai22

I don't think we matter at all. The sad thing is, with all of the money, power and resources on this planet, we still wouldn't have enough to explore the universe to a distance where there may be other life. So instead, we will waste everything we have fighting each other like Neanderthals until we destroy ourselves and the one place we have to call home.

Very well said

To the OP kind of lets you now how small we really are.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Shows everyone how truly insignificant we are in the big scheme of things.

Just a small speck of light in the sky, and that's the SUN, not even the Earth.

We're an insignificant speck in an insignificant part of our milky way galaxy, which is insignificant amongst the billions of other galaxies in the Universe.

Anyone who thinks that they're important is delusional.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Truly inspiring.

All that we do, EVERYTHING, is because of that speck of light. It really makes you think.

How about this picture from voyager, it shows us just how vast space is.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d7c01d2ad1a6.jpg[/atsimg]

This picture was taken from 3,762,136,324 miles. When I see pictures like this it makes me think, how can something so small and insignificant be so important.

Peace.
ALS

[edit on 19-8-2010 by ALOSTSOUL]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Amazing picture, shows us at still a small scale how big the cosmos is and how small and meaningless we are..

Also look at all those stars in the background, spectacular

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
How about this picture from voyager, it shows us just how vast space is....

...This picture was taken from 3,762,136,324 miles. When I see pictures like this it makes me think, how can something so small and insignificant be so important.

The Earth is big and important to those who call it home.
The Earth is small and insignificant to the rest of the universe.

[edit on 8/19/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Amazing photo, goes to show just how big our satellite (The Moon) is compared to our planet.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Beautiful Picture. Great Find OP.

Leaves me awe struck of the marvelous beauty that is of our universe.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
wow...to think it looks just like a regular star in the sky....imagine how many other stars we look at tonight could have a whole population of people living on them....this just makes me think that we couldn't possibly be alone in this huge space....somewhere out there is another earth with people living on it...

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by kai22

Here you go people, enjoy

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d995cf62b59b.png[/atsimg]

on the left edge of the picture, just in line with our planet one can see the constellation of Scorpio, it's a huge picture. The Orion is on the right side an inch lower as the earth horizontal line,

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Nice find! An amazing pic !!!

S&F.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Awesome picture. The Earth looks like a gem in space espoused to the Moon.

Truly unique in many ways. The Moon looks incredible large even from that distance. Bravo! Nice find. I really love stuff like this. S & F !

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join