It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robot Explorer Set to Reveal Great Pyramid's Secrets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

(Aug. 17) -- Archaeologists attempting to unlock the secrets of the Great Pyramid of Giza have a new helper: a drill- and camera-toting robot designed to peer into the magnificent structure's unexplored nooks and crannies. It's hoped that this high-tech explorer -- built by researchers at England's Leeds University, together with France's Dassault Systemes and U.K. robotics firm Scoutek -- will aid Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities in their decades-long attempt to unravel one of the pyramid's most enduring mysteries. As any good Egyptologist knows, there are two main rooms at the center of the Pyramid of Khufu: the King's Chamber and the Queen's Chamber. (Khufu was the pharaoh who ordered up the monument some 4,500 years ago). Located on opposite walls of the King's Chamber are two shafts that shoot out at 40-degree angles and lead to the pyramid's outer face. It's thought that they were designed to allow the ruler's spirit to fly out and travel with the Sun God in the day, and take his place among the stars at night.

Source

Hopefully this project doesnt fail and we can finally get to the bottom of the secrets that Giza contains.

My only question is, what sort of letdown will there be if we do finally search every nook and crannie and find basically nothing? Which is possible I guess.......

Thoughts on this project proving to be fruitful?

[edit on 18-8-2010 by -Blackout-]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

Hiya, I posted a thread this time last year on the same story. Hawass described how the robots were exploring the shafts right then. After that...silence.

Last week a lazy journalist at The Independent posted a story about these robots. It's a year old, but he didn't check or do his due diligence. Since then a few dozen news outlets have picked up the story and none who've published have checked their sources. Not one...or they wouldn't publish.

It'll be great to have the story resolved and get a conclusion on the pyramid shafts. Hopefully, there'll be some genuine information about it. I check Hawass' blog regularly and he hasn't mentioned it for months. Likewise Heritage Key and a number of archaeology blogs, Hall of Maat etc...no mention.

It goes to show how 'news' can spread minus any news!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Interesting, thanks Kandinsky. I had no idea that this was "old news" of sorts.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
personally i think it would be fantastic if the robots discovered new info for us. but would we get to hear about it once Hawass cloaks everything again? we cant even get to find out if or what they are bringing out from under the sphinx.
we'll know if they find anything new because thats when Hawass will boot everybody out.
Hawass acts as if the Giza plateau is his personal property.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Im curious that if they do find something very interesting of note, if they'll even let the rest of the world in on it?

Im sure Giza has some secrets. I think its time we found out what those secrets are.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
We ARE aware that this has been done before, right? The man, who's name I forget, sent a robot up one of the shafts in '92 and found a 'door'. He told the media and was subsequently banned from ever comeing near the piramids again (in fact, I think he may have been banned from entering Egypt again, though I may be imagining that). Eventually, they gave into pressure to open the 'door' (yes, gave in - they didn't want to open it because Hawass claimed, without the faintest of clues, that there was nothing behind it), and when they opened it, they found another 'door' just beyond. As far as I know, that second 'door' has not been touched since, despite some evidence that there IS something behind it. I forget what though - I think it was something to do with dust being sucked under the 'door'.

I say 'door' by the by, because that's the way they were described in the article I read. They were just stone blocks with little metal rings in the centre.

EDIT: And another thing, I'm pretty sure there is no real evidence to say the pyramid was built by Khufu. I seem to remember they just guessed, as they so often do, because of its positioning.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by ShadowArcher]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by -Blackout-
Im curious that if they do find something very interesting of note, if they'll even let the rest of the world in on it?

Im sure Giza has some secrets. I think its time we found out what those secrets are.

I cant agree more.

I'd love to know how much hawass is keeping from us all and what he has found under the sphinx and other areas of the plateau.

I hope that when Hawass is eventually pronounced 'life extinct' that we will see someone in his place who will share any exciting finds with the rest of world.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll

Originally posted by -Blackout-

I cant agree more.

I'd love to know how much hawass is keeping from us all and what he has found under the sphinx and other areas of the plateau.

I hope that when Hawass is eventually pronounced 'life extinct' that we will see someone in his place who will share any exciting finds with the rest of world.

Hawass is a disgrace. I read an article about him standing in a chamber under the Sphinx, on tv camera, claiming that there is nothing under the sphinx
And I'd love to know about that water pumping they were/are doing. Many olympic swimming pools worth every day? We need someone genuine put in his place.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowArcher

The guy was Gantenbrink and the exploration of the shafts was done with the full backing of Hawass and the SCA. They were side by side on TV cameras. Gantenbrink wasn't 'banned' from the pyramids at all. That's a BS tale to keep fringe folk warm at night.

The SCA introduced a policy whereby only serious researchers, with the support of recognised institutions and Universities, should apply for permission. Gantenbrink lost the support of his university (Munich?) so didn't qualify for permission.

They introduced the policy to stop people turning up with buckets, spades and scented candles. It's a national treasure. I can't go digging up Stonehenge and you can't go digging up Newgrange....it makes sense. Likewise we can't stay the night in castles seeing if our singing voices will levitate huge stones.

You're 'pretty sure' there's no real evidence of who built the pyramid? I'll email Oxford University immediately...this is something they really should know about

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
To be honest... I'm surprised that they were allowed to do this. Usually Hawass seems against unearthing too many secrets.

Hope to find out more soon!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Hawass is an alien who is in charge of protecting alien artifacts till his overlords arrive to obtain it.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I flagged this thread because I read this story online, and this part was so interesting.

The first serious attempt to resolve this pyramid puzzle came in 1993, when a German-sponsored robo-camera traveled almost 200 feet into the southern shaft. At this point, the 'bot found its path blocked by a limestone slab fitted with two copper handles. (The robot could only drive about 60 feet along the northern shaft before hitting an impassable 45-degree bend to the left.)

My question is... how the heck did they build this shaft with a slab with copper handles, where a human can't even fit? Now that's crazy. Why have handles if no one can fit down there? Ever since a kid I was verrry curious about Egypt and its pyramids, and this story kind of stokes that interest back up.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

The same way that they put the plumbing in the slab under your house, while its being built. It’s only inaccessible to us now because its inside the structure. I am sure that the holes were drilled in each block individually, then lined up as the blocks were fit into place. The door was most likely rigged to seal via something that triggered (like a rope run down the shaft) it when the builders wanted it sealed.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Maybe now they will finally get (literally) to the bottom of this mystery and figure out that the Giza pyramid is not a pyramid at all. It is an obelisk. Keep digging because I think therefor...

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Rumour goes that Hawass is connected to some society that wants to keep all the magnificent and controversial discoveries for themselves.

If some new tomb or secret chamber is found it will first be robbed from its prize possesions and artifacts and then, maybe, presented to the world. These activities give me a feel of powerlesness and anger.

There is nothing someone can do about it because in most cases this kind of corruption goes all the way to the top.

If Hawass says that we are about to witness the opening of a tomb for the first time in 4000 years I do not belief him....

Scientific data shows that there are hollow spaces under the Sphinx and most likely connected with a tunnel.....They (Hawass) knows about the readings of Edgar Casey and what he predicted about this monument. Still no official attempt is made to investigate these chambers.

Why not...or what is going on...!!!???

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
(Khufu was the pharaoh who ordered up the monument some 4,500 years ago).

That Monument was already there 8,000 years before Khufu was a twinkle in his Mothers eye...

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Here it is September 2010 and still no word, it only takes hours for the robot to go in and look! Hawass once said the info would be revealed before the end of the year that was a couple years back and at that time he said they had already made discoveries which would be announced...whats the hold up!!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I remember watching the live show of the last one back in 2003 only to find yet another damn wall. this could be a very long time consuming puzzle, them ancient egyptians really knew how to mess with future civilisations heads

[edit on 2-9-2010 by madmartinez]

[edit on 2-9-2010 by madmartinez]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I'm 120% sure that if they find anything that goes against the norm, they wont show it to the public, and if they do, it will be heavily distorted, some have claimed Hawass is a fanatical maniac, others say he is just protecting his heritage, who knows, even the theory on Hawass being an alien could be true!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Personally, I think Hawass is the agent of some rich and powerful person/people, who believe that, if we knew the truth, it might ruin their source of slave labor, and remove any confidence whatsoever in the governments/religions/corporations/you name it. In fact, I'm utterly convinced this is the fact - if the whole world knew what was really going on, there'd be no more place for these rich bastards to sit around and be waited on hand and foot by the "commoners" like you and me.

Were it up to me, Hawass would be locked up... for treason. YES, Treason. Treason of the highest order - against his own species as a whole. Even if it's found that he's "just following orders" - that's no excuse. I'll put it this way - you're in the military. You're ordered to kill your significant other and/or children. Is "just following orders" an acceptable excuse? That's an extreme example, but it's the same thing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join