It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intro plus question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Hey all.

So apparently I need lots of posts (20) to make a thread, but I can include my odd question here after I introduce myself.

I've been lurking around the site, reading things I didn't want to know and now I'm on almost every day. I'm a college student, and I have a very intelligent part of my mind I keep hidden from most. I use it to write movie scripts and get A's on papers I write the same day their due (some may know what I mean). Anyways, I love the site and it's subjects, but on to my question.

I have been drinking a bit, so it may not be a valid question to some, but, I'm under the impression that our eyes take in an upside-down image, and then flip it over so in our brains, we see the right side up picture. Sine everything we see is really upside-down, what does that mean for our perception of our world? Would our planet be a sphere? Or would we be a ring world, with the sky in the middle?
It may seem a stupid question to some, but it just seems weird to me that if everything we perceive is upside-down, how would it change our knowledge of how things work if we applied our true viewpoint.

Sorry if I didn't make sense to some, I like to think wayyyyy outside the box.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Hail2theChippewa

Hi and welcome. About the sight thing:
The world is as we perceive it as far as up/down. The image is flipped (upside down) on our retina/optic nerve, but then our brain puts it right side up again --what we perceive.
uxnxu
The first 20 posts actually go fast. See ya around.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
You know I'm kind of ashamed to say this, but I found out that we do actually see upside, and our brains make it right side up, and I was asking a friend questions, that didn't even make sense to me, like how does gravity work? How do we except 99.9% of what we know, if we learned to try to see things the "upside down way"?

It "hurt" my brain trying to think of all the things that I could come up with, that now MAKE NO SENSE at all

So welcome to ATS, enjoy, have fun, and with this post, I'm sure I will enjoy what you have to offer in your threads.

Peace to you...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Well, seems like an unnecessary middleman.

I look forward to surpassing this post mark.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
i give that introduction an A-.

WELCOME TO ATS

Hail2theChippewa

Originally posted by Hail2theChippewa
Since everything we see is really upside-down, what does that mean for our perception of our world? Would our planet be a sphere? Or would we be a ring world, with the sky in the middle?

i'll give these questions some thought, and reply after you have posted 20 times.

just kidding. so ... then how is gravity really working? is it lifting us up?

thought provoking stuff.

hope you enjoy ATS,
ET

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Well, since I am a 2. something student, I love an A-. I'm not a native american, just a student at Central Michigan University, the Chippewas. I do love my school though, hence the name.

edit- about the gravity question, I'm not sure, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that we are a tiny, meaningless dot in an infinitely expanding universe that still has to be finite in some way. Who knows, if you ever look up "brain in a vat," you don't know what is real.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Hail2theChippewa]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
No wonder you feel the need to drink!

Just kidding!

To me,right now the world is upside-down,inside-out,and backwards all at once! I'd drink,too,but I reached my quota a long time ago!

Welcome to ATS!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

Duh!

But really, it is welcome week here, and if anyone knows anything about CMU...we like to have a good time.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Keep up that theory about that intelligent part of your mind that takes over when your back is to the wall on a paper, and when you write movie scripts! Awesome stuff. As for the perception issue; yeah, the world is not upside down, but you knew that. And WOW that was wayyyy out of the box. I'm a newbie as well, and welcome you to the fold.

top topics

join