It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blagojevich guilty on one count, mistrial on 23 others

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Article

CHICAGO — A federal jury found former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich guilty on Tuesday of one count of lying to federal agents, and the judge said he intends to declare a mistrial on the remaining 23 counts.

Rod Blagojevich showed no emotion as the verdict was read, neither smiling nor grimacing.

Good thing for him he appeared on that TV show Apprentice and appeared like a bumbling idiot, so that everyone would think he was too stupid to even commit a crime. The justice system prevails once again

The one charge he got guilty, lying to federal agents, carries 5 years maximum. He won't serve one day I bet. Heck, they don't even know when they'll sentence him yet. If it was me they'd have sentenced me on the spot and probably given me the 5 years. Oh, to have political ties.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
nobody cares about this schmuck. he'll be selling used cars in Gary..a punishment all its own

[edit on 17-8-2010 by p51mustang]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

i wish this guy and story would just go away.

i agree tho that dude will not serve time and if he does i will be surprised

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
He was only the front man
Will they prosecute and convict the appartus he fronted?

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I am ambivalent.

Look, he was just doing business as usual.

This type of thing happens everyday in government and business and has been happening for, well, ...ever.

He became inconvenient for someone (Gee I wonder who...) and the veil of protection was yanked away.

Lying to the Feds is the throw away conviction that most people get tagged with. It's the "fear of God", so to speak, that they rain down on you so as not to tell all the insider crap you know or just how down and dirty the Federal Government got in pursuit of a small fish in order to obfuscate and protect a bigger one.

[edit on 17/8/2010 by kosmicjack]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
in opinion, bet he cut a deal with the White House to keep silent. He was going to testify the entire time, until the weekend before he was to take the stand on Monday. He was to confident (Blago) the entire time from being removed as Govonor of Illinois until today's verdict. he must have had juicy stuff on members in the White House to get this kind of verdict. Looks like Blago might have gotten the price he wanted for the vacated Senate seat of Obama's, Freedom, to be a celeberty and make millions of dollars, and no jail. hahahahahahahahaha
I wonder if the government will retry the 23 mistrial counts; I really doubt it, unless blago screws it up.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Honestly, I'm a little happy he got off.

Fitzgerald had little evidence at best, blago didn't even put up much of a defense, if any and still the state FAILED.

The only reason he was convicted of the one count was because neither side recorded the conversation, which is another issue. What were both sides discussing that they didn't want recorded.

Who the hell talks to the FBI without it being recorded? No one, so why wasn't it.

I hope there is no retrial, the state of IL is bankrupt and the state failed to prove their claims without blago even taking the stand, which won't happen again.

Don't waste my future tax dollars and a trial that you couldn't win the first time, you do not have the evidence, accept the failure and move on to more important issues. Here's one, sit in city hall and go through each alder person and the mayor, that should keep you busy.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Noone's to blame, but Blago himself. He put himself where he's at. Most in Illliniois didn't care for him. He'd fly a jet from Chicago to Springfield everyday on the taxpayer's money. If he's going to be governor, he can live in Springfield. Not every politician is corrupt in Illinois. The jurors didn't understand the corruption of politics. Blago is lucky.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I just wish they would drop it, lets waste another 30 million to try him again.
We have a lot worst people still in office here in Illinois. the state is in Debt up to it's eye balls, and they want to waste millions more in a 2nd trial. Please.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
He didn't/hasn't done anything all the other elected bastards have done from day one. I think the jury realized this.

The government will recharge him, along with his brother, this time to bankrupt him with another multi-million dollar defense.

Lying to a federal official, didn't a President or two do this already.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I knew he was innocent from the start. He was sidelined because he made a move against Bank of America, and there were rumors that Obama and Emmanuel would be implicated in whatever nonsense was surrounding that senate seat, and while the media kept demonizing him, and he also made a bit of a fool of himself, he said that they wouldn't even let him call a witness, so obviously this would be a mistrial. The media should be ashamed of themselves for trying to make him look like a bad guy. Everyone says "he's from Chicago obviously he's corrupt" well if that's the case what about Obama? He should sue the FBI for spying on him and arresting him with no probable cause. Sorry, but saying the F word on the phone and having it overheard by the big brother police state is not a crime, however, it is a crime to arrest someone on the suspicion that they might commit a crime.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by filosophia]

new topics

top topics

join