It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another weird object on Mars.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Just to make it clear, I'm not saying this is an intelligently created structure, but it looks pretty odd to me, but to be honest I'm not very experienced in the astronomy field, and I rarely spend time examining the surface of planets for this sort of thing (or anything else), but I was looking at those two other active threads about Mars anomalies and followed a link by the OP. I then had a glance over this picture. I wasn't expecting to find anything, and maybe this is a crap find, I really don't know, or maybe it has been posted before, if so, please let me know I have wasted my time, I just didn't know what to search in this case.

Anyway, here is a cropped part of the picture, showing the object in question:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b52b5ff88b64.jpg[/atsimg]

Here we see it zoomed in a little more, you can see smooth surfaces and extremely straight edges on the structure:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6d6c0a3ebb49.jpg[/atsimg]

In this image, the large X marks the oddly square platform connected to the rest of the structure. The smaller X marks a really smooth looking surface. In between the fatter arrows you can see a path which seems ridiculously straight to me. The smaller arrows mark what looks like an edge of the structure, it is also dead straight. And I'm not joking about, I mean, open these up in paint and use the line tool to check out how straight some of these edges are:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7d2d9af10d6e.jpg[/atsimg]

In this image I've just outlined some of the more significant features of the structure when I was messing about with it, it's also slightly brightened:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3676ba2473e7.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 17/8/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I'm not usually enticed by these types of pictures. But that square platform thing really stands out as not looking natural at all. It's just too geometric. Amazing.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Well it's good to know this was worth posting then. It definitely looks odd to me, those really straight edges seem to be of some significance also.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I believe its the same rock type found in the images in this thread.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/889f0d3a14f2.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cebf3eac14ad.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 17/8/2010 by serbsta]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Looks "man-made" to me.

Very strange.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

Well, I got to original large image by following a link given by the OP on the first page of that thread. It might even be in the same image.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Well it does look as if they are both from the same region, since that's the case, its most likely just the result of a large presence of that rock type within the region.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Do you know the size of these things?

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

Well it does look as if they are both from the same region, since that's the case, its most likely just the result of a large presence of that rock type within the region.
What type would that be, rocks that look like things? It could also have another reason for being close to the other one if you think about it.

reply to post by CynicalM

I really have not much of an idea, but fairly freakin huge.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I find the feature adjacent to the right to be interesting also.

It is very unusual in nature as it's so straight, but if you look at the first image you see there are a heap of similar objects to the right.

Because of the size, I would tend to think that if they were artifically created that they look more like some sort of structure that's been covered by the sands of time then partially uncovered??

The size looks massive though, just look at those cliff faces...

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I've seen this effect before on Mars images and I believe it's because of the image processing algorithms. The images are created using radar (or maybe laser) scans and have to be run through filters and processed to get a visible image. If you look at the raw files the whole image looks like the 'flat' sections highlighted in this thread - misty and featureless.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

There's only one really "smooth" surface on the structure...and it clearly looks to be a part of the whole structure and blend in to me...I see no sign of image glitches, and the other large flat square surface is most certainly not a glitch, the texture is clear...

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
A cool find! It is amazingly structured as you have shown. I believe with the severe temp changes, underground quarters were mandatory.

The flat surface on the left seems eroded away by water, to a drop off not unlike a riverbank, revealing what shows today.

But is there a ravine or an old water channel going through it if you zoomed out?

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Tribble

But is there a ravine or an old water channel going through it if you zoomed out?
Yes, there seems to be some sort of ravine or something to the right of it, heading downwards, I didn't really think it was of any significance though.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
From my eyes it looks like a crashed space battleship covered by all the sand storms that occurred at mars if you look closely at the top those things remind me of gun/laser turrets.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Yay, more Mars pics

Ok I looked at it and I dont really see much of anything, but the left lower corner looks interesting. It looks like a square. The pic is an interesting one..Could be natural could be unnatural
To me is just seems to depend on the angle or how it looks depending on what effect I use on it. Still a cool pic

Here is what I did with the pics....
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4e3dac84f418.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/99dfa8989a22.jpg[/atsimg]
this one I sharpened it a little, and then inverted the colors. I don't know the exact steps, I didn't use PS.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Interesting, that square area seems to pop out a lot more in that second picture, nice work. I might mess around with them some more in photoshop and see if I can get anything.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
What type would that be, rocks that look like things? It could also have another reason for being close to the other one if you think about it.

It has a very good reason, it's the same feature.

In this thread it's "upside down" when compared to the other thread.

This is the photo as taken by the satellite, the photo in the other thread was aligned to have north at the top of the image.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
I've seen this effect before on Mars images and I believe it's because of the image processing algorithms.

In this case it's because the image from the OP is a smaller JPEG version of the original. The original image does not look like that.

The images are created using radar (or maybe laser) scans and have to be run through filters and processed to get a visible image.

I don't know any case like that, and this specific photo is exactly that, a photo, taken with a relative large telescope orbiting Mars, as you can see here

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I'm not usually enticed by these types of pictures. But that square platform thing really stands out as not looking natural at all. It's just too geometric. Amazing.

Well sometimes mother nature likes to f*** about with your mind

celticmythpodshow.com...

Do you think the rocks in the link above are to Geometric?

It's the Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland.

Just because you think something is not natural doesn't mean it is!

[edit on 26-8-2010 by wmd_2008]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join