It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unbelievable, statin drugs targeted on kids

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
After I heard it on the radio today, it was confirmed. I heard a lady reporter talking about it, and had recently read something on the internet about it. Statins are being targeted on kids.

An article from 2008 pretty much says it's been in the works for a while.

articles.latimes.com...

And one from July.

www.infozine.com...

This my friends is a picture of what a real conspiracy is. How low can Big Pharma stoop? They can't profit enough off the injuring of adults, so now they want to target kids?

The use of Statins, for the big majority of the population is unwarranted. Do some in-depth research on the effects of statin drugs. It's not pretty. As for the muscular weakening, wouldn't your heart be included in this? Very interesting for a drug that is supposed to protect you from heart attack.

Doctor Mercola explains it quite well here. The important fact to remember is that cholesterol is something your body needs.

articles.mercola.com...

Troy

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy

Doctor Mercola explains it quite well here. The important fact to remember is that cholesterol is something your body needs.

...and produces, nonetheless.

sometimes i wonder why they don't push heroin at absurd prices, tax it, and be done, i mean it would keep people slim and sedated, wouldn't it?
eh, maybe that's closer to the truth than one would think at the first glance...

statins have quite a list of side effects, i'll see if i can find my old thread on them...

well, that article will have to suffice www.newmediaexplorer.org...

of course, threshold levels have been decreasing, since this obsession with certain numbers (100, 120, 150, you know them) carries no health benefit, unsurprisingly. yet, they even advocate drugs based on family history rather than signs of sickness, so you can be sick without any proof, apparently. witch doctors anyone?

[edit on 2010.8.17 by Long Lance]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Well, considering the early, reversible stages of atherosclerosis begin as early as age 10, I say if there is scientific basis and a need for the patient, why not? How would this be different than any other preventative treatment in children (allergy shots or asthma medication)?

I've seen 8-10 year olds here in the iner city with BMIs of 50+. Their parents refuse to cook anything other than fried foods and the child doesn't exercise, instead just sits in front of various screens (TV, computer). It's entirely common to see children like this with hypertension prior to age 13, and I would wager that if you did imaging, you would find fatty streaks (the early stage of athersclerosis. formed by cholesterol) in their abdominal aorta and coronary arteries (most common sites of early athersclerosis).

If these statins could reduce/reberse early athersclerosis in these children and spare them for another 10 years or so...why not/?

[edit on 8/17/2010 by VneZonyDostupa]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
If it's an odd genetic disposition of the child, that cannot be fixed with diet and exercise, then go with the prescriptions. Diet and exercise should be the first course of action, if the kids want to live long enough to see 50.

Pills are an easy, lazy way out for parents that should go through some parenting and cooking classes.

Starting pills as an easy way out, too early in life, is setting up the child for a life of pills which may harm the liver and kidneys at a later age.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
If it's an odd genetic disposition of the child, that cannot be fixed with diet and exercise, then go with the prescriptions. Diet and exercise should be the first course of action, if the kids want to live long enough to see 50.

Pills are an easy, lazy way out for parents that should go through some parenting and cooking classes.

Starting pills as an easy way out, too early in life, is setting up the child for a life of pills which may harm the liver and kidneys at a later age.

While your philosophy would work in an ideal work, it simply doesn't apply in real medical situations for the most part. If you come to inner-city Memphis, you will see millions of dollars being spent on diet and exercise programs in schools and public areas, but childhood obesity continues to skyrocket.

The parents (and culture, by extension) are negligent and dangerous, and no amount of telling them to stop eating fried foods will help. Sometimes, your only option is preventative medication.

Of course, counseling about diet and exercise should ALWAYS be your first step, with a year or so of follow-up. But once you see this counseling is falling on deaf ears, it's time for more advanced tactics.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Statins are garbage. Zesting with citrus peel is just as effective in Cholesterol reduction as taking Statin drugs, without destroying your liver.

Nature already has everything you need.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa

If you come to inner-city Memphis, you will see millions of dollars being spent on diet and exercise programs in schools and public areas, but childhood obesity continues to skyrocket.

The parents (and culture, by extension) are negligent and dangerous, and no amount of telling them to stop eating fried foods will help. Sometimes, your only option is preventative medication.

Of course, counseling about diet and exercise should ALWAYS be your first step, with a year or so of follow-up. But once you see this counseling is falling on deaf ears, it's time for more advanced tactics.

It is so sad when the kids today, will probably live shorter lives due to the lack of education and the lack of will of the parents. One has to hope that as the kids grow up, they learn about their own health and how to take care of it.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
It is so sad when the kids today, will probably live shorter lives due to the lack of education and the lack of will of the parents. One has to hope that as the kids grow up, they learn about their own health and how to take care of it.

I couldn't agree with this more. It frustrates me to no end to see kids with high BMIs and already experiencing heart/lung problems, all because their parents don't "have the time" to pick up a bag of apples instead of a box of donuts.

I think the most shocking thing I heard from one of the kids, though, was a few years ago when I first came to this city. I was doing a well-child check on a six year old boy, so I was just making small talk while I examined him. When I asked if he liked oranges or apples better, he said he had never had either one.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by zzombie
Statins are garbage. Zesting with citrus peel is just as effective in Cholesterol reduction as taking Statin drugs, without destroying your liver.

Source please.

Nature already has everything you need.

Nature also creates enzyme deficiencies, metabolic disorders, congenital defects, and so on. Not everything in nature is positive, effective, or suitable for life. That's why we continue to advance medical science.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

The long-term affect of statins on a developing liver have never been tested and thats the problem. I'm on a statin due to very high cholestorol (over 400) and it works, but even at middle age when the impact of statins have been tested for more than a decade I have to go in to have my liver function checked every once in a while. My doctor wanted me on statins for years and I resisted due to the liver issue and asked him point blank what were the long-term implications of statins on the liver and he looked at me and said that they were unknown.

OK thats reasonable because I would likely die from a heart attack within 20 years without the statins. Giving it to kids is outrageous. It is just another way to drug kids out of taking any responsibility for their own health and behavior.

I can tell you that you put most college kids on a statin and you will have more kids die of liver failure than will have a heart attack. The ERs will be full after a typical frat party

Can't sit still? You have ADD or ADHD and need drugs, not the skills to develop and maintain self control.

Blue? You are depressed and need anti-depressants rathern than skills to maintain a positive life balance with things like proper diet, exercise, quality activities and a positive social environment.

Anger management issues? You need sedatives and anti-psychotics to turn you into a vegetable rather than simply learn to deal with your anger.

Every person is governed by the chemicals in their body and some, if not most people learn to deal with their individual chemical imbalances and the impact they have on us. The current trend is to look to create some biochemical utopia and thus absolve people from taking some responsibility for their own life.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by dolphinfan]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Hi there you said
"Their parents refuse to cook anything other than fried foods and the child doesn't exercise"

And that is the point it is the parents and pills can't help that. I say if you have a kid and the Dr. wants to give them this or one of the many other drugs parents THINK there kid needs then you shouldn't have kids or you need a new Dr. But thats just MHO my 2 cents.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
The long-term affect of statins on a developing liver have never been tested and thats the problem. I'm on a statin due to very high cholestorol (over 400) and it works, but even at middle age when the impact of statins have been tested for more than a decade I have to go in to have my liver function checked every once in a while. My doctor wanted me on statins for years and I resisted due to the liver issue and asked him point blank what were the long-term implications of statins on the liver and he looked at me and said that they were unknown.

I can tell you that you put most college kids on a statin and you will have more kids die of liver failure than will have a heart attack. The ERs will be full after a typical frat party

So, you claim the long-term effects are unknown, but at the same time you assert it will cause an increase in liver failure?

Doesn't that seem a bit antithetical?

OK thats reasonable because I would likely die from a heart attack within 20 years without the statins. Giving it to kids is outrageous. It is just another way to drug kids out of taking any responsibility for their own health and behavior.

These children don't do the grocery shopping in their homes, and they don't cook the meals. The parents, who have already proven themselves to be irresponsible when their 10 year old has a 40+ or 50+ BMI, aren't going to be receptive to doctors telling them "cook healthier meals or your child will develop heart disease in 20 years".

Trust me, I've had this conversation with parents like those so many times, it's mind boggling. We spend more money on health education and nutrition education every year, but we simply can't match the marketing dollars of McDonald's, Burger King, or any of the other death-marts.

Can't sit still? You have ADD or ADHD and need drugs, not the skills to develop and maintain self control.

Blue? You are depressed and need anti-depressants rathern than skills to maintain a positive life balance with things like proper diet, exercise, quality activities and a positive social environment.

Anger management issues? You need sedatives and anti-psychotics to turn you into a vegetable rather than simply learn to deal with your anger.

Please don't confuse diagnostic medicine with psychiatric medicine. They are two completely different realms of medicine, and frankly, it offends me that you would lump me in with those idiots. Psychiatrists are a plague on the field of psychology.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by GunzCoty

Hi there you said
"Their parents refuse to cook anything other than fried foods and the child doesn't exercise"

And that is the point it is the parents and pills can't help that. I say if you have a kid and the Dr. wants to give them this or one of the many other drugs parents THINK there kid needs then you shouldn't have kids or you need a new Dr. But thats just MHO my 2 cents.

Who said anything about the parents thinking their child needs a drug? I simply made the point that there are a lot of parents out there who are ignorant (whether willfully or not) about nutrition, and will aggressively ignore any attempt by a medical professional to suggest healthier options. If I'm faced with a child that I've seen gain weight and becomes worse off for a few years, despite my attempts to educate the parents, then of course I will begin to look for a medical option, whether that be a medication or a diabetic diet plan (if they are that bad off).

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by zzombie

Thought you might be interested in this recent study:

Citrus rind flavonoids do not lower serum cholesterol

[edit on 8/18/2010 by VneZonyDostupa]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

It seems to be acquiescing to the status quo instead of changing the situation where kids don't have to take drugs....like is normal. Before we know it, the idea that this is absolutely crazy to give these kinds of drugs will be more or less considered a sort of oddity, but still within the bounds of sanity. If we can just give drugs, then why do we have to fix the actually problem? If ADD meds were banned, might people look into the high fructose corn syrup and other junk that kids are eating? It'd be born out of necessity.

Pharm would love us to forget what natural health we have inherent within ourselves. Hardly anyone takes that power that we can be as healthy as we want to be.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Follow the Money. who funds it. I know damn well how the drug industry works. Much of it is Junk Science to sell drugs.

Orange Oil: Secret Cholesterol Fighter

Oil from orange peels contains compounds that lower blood levels of the "bad" LDL and VLDL cholesterols, studies with laboratory hamsters have revealed.

Agricultural Research Service scientists and co-researchers at KGK Synergize, London, Ontario, Canada, found that effect in tests of peel-based natural chemicals called polymethoxylated flavones, or PMFs.

Hamster feed containing one percent PMFs lowered the animals' blood LDL and VLDL levels by 30 to 40 percent, the scientists report in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry (volume 52, pages 2879 to 2886). Followup studies will determine whether PMFs have the same effect in humans and, if so, may lead to a profitable new use of juice-processing leftovers.

For details, contact: John A. Manthey, U.S. Citrus and Subtropical Products Laboratory, Winter Haven, Fla. (863) 293-4133, ext. 126.

www.ars.usda.gov...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12

It seems to be acquiescing to the status quo instead of changing the situation where kids don't have to take drugs....like is normal. Before we know it, the idea that this is absolutely crazy to give these kinds of drugs will be more or less considered a sort of oddity, but still within the bounds of sanity. If we can just give drugs, then why do we have to fix the actually problem? If ADD meds were banned, might people look into the high fructose corn syrup and other junk that kids are eating? It'd be born out of necessity.

Pharm would love us to forget what natural health we have inherent within ourselves. Hardly anyone takes that power that we can be as healthy as we want to be.

ADD has less to do with corn syrup and more to do with psychiatrists not understanding their own diagnostic criteria. The criteria checklist isn't meant to be a binary "yes or no" sort of deal, but rather a means of exploring possible reasons for the "yes" answers before forming a diagnosis. That's why you see much lower rates of ADD diagnosis in children seen by psychologists versus psychiatrists. Psychologists truly understand the mind/psyche and attend 4+ years of graduate school for that purpose. Psychiatrists are typically the bottom-rung of medical graduates who couldn't match into any other specialty.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join