It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim leaders to abandon plans for Ground Zero community center

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

www.haaretz.com

Sources in New York said on Monday that Muslim religious and business leaders will announce plans to abandon the project in the next few days.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I hope their sources are correct. At least someone is listening to the American people even tho' the President and his administration won't. I don't agree at all that it was Obama limiting what he meant when he showed support for the mosque. I think they are really not wanting a huge negative reaction on their hands, especially after they open their doors.

Fingers crossed!

www.haaretz.com

+34 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Three cheers for intimidation and bigotry! Hup hup hooray! Hup hup, hooray! Hup hup, hooray!

Personally I'm hoping that Haaretz is wrong, simply because otherwise, a very ugly precedent is set.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
What about churches near the oklahama city bombing?

The only thing that was surprising about the protest was seeing that many people still believing the 911 story from govt.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Yes, it would be a shame. We'll see, I guess. There are things about the way this article is written that make me question the reporting. Such as references to the ad campaign on buses and the opinion that Obama "reversed" his stance. Again, we'll see.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I hope the sources are correct so my torch and pitchfork can continue gathering dust in the shed. Rabble rabble rabble rabble

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

It could be a response to bigotry, or it could be a reasonable response from muslims that truely want peace with their neighbours. I say this because I don't think anybody expected the backlash after the mosque was announced.

It could also have a lot to do with not being able to come up with the required funding.

Either way it is a shame, would have been nice to have another community centre around.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Reid: Build mosque elsewhere

Reid: Build mosque elsewhere

hosted.ap.org...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate's top Democrat says a mosque should not be built near the site of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada on Monday became the highest profile Democrat to break with President Barack Obama, who on Friday backed the right for the developers to build a mosque near ground zero.

In a statement, Reid said the first amendment protects freedom of religion and he respects that, but the mosque should be built somewhere else.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
With reports of a gay bar opening next door for the explicit purpose of annoying them, the only logical course is to leave.

If they actually built it there is significant risk of destruction to property and a host of other woes.

Like I said a long time ago, this stopped being a religious issue and started being a speech issue. They can say what they want, but you hold with it the consequences. The consequences were ugly. It is wise to leave.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Three cheers for intimidation and bigotry! Hup hup hooray! Hup hup, hooray! Hup hup, hooray!

Personally I'm hoping that Haaretz is wrong, simply because otherwise, a very ugly precedent is set.

I do not care what the reasons. I read a story the other day that said 68 % of Americans are against this. If true then this is a fine example of democracy in action. The people have spoken, no matter what their reasons, this is the law of our land and therefore is right and just.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

I do not care what the reasons. I read a story the other day that said 68 % of Americans are against this. If true then this is a fine example of democracy in action. The people have spoken, no matter what their reasons, this is the law of our land and therefore is right and just.

My god, that one story you read about a vague poll totally proves it!
The majority of Americans once supported the war in Iraq, aswell as slavery.
It's still bigotry, just supported by the American people.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
No one expected a backlash when the plans were announced?!? Are you serious? The suits in DC may be missing their spine and family jewels, but if they think Average Joe American suffers the same problem they may want to rethink their jihad aspirations. I would think our guys in fatigues had already taught them that lesson....no one expected a backlash, bah! This was just a way to try to turn something that makes this country great into a weakness instead of a strength. Push, push, push and see how far they can go before we call them out.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Your statement above is very wrong and very narrow minded.

For whatever reason the Muslim Leaders are not going ahead with this building we need to show some sort of faith back in their direction.

This could be the step we need to begin to work together as a community instead of enemies. This gesture by the Muslims should be thanked and in return some sort of graciousness shown. This could be the catalyst for people of all faiths, races, status's living together in peace someday and maybe without the need for no Religion but instead belief in Mankind. People working side by side without a divide.

Although I do not care for religion i applaud the Muslim Leaders decision and if it is genuine we could see a great change on the horizon.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by willow1d

www.haaretz.com

Sources in New York said on Monday that Muslim religious and business leaders will announce plans to abandon the project in the next few days.

Thanx shady Americans for not being cool how sad ran them off too. Now what if it was a SECRET evaluation THAT THE POWERS THAT BE (whom I am sure consist of muslims as well as other religious groups) ran to see if the US WAS WORTHY IN THE BIG APPLE of real peace and love for their fellow brothers AS NY IS A BIG REP. OF US. AND DAMD IF WE FAILD TREMENDOUSLY.

Mind as well park a mothership over the apples and see who gets mad then
wonders if we would be welcome, ooohh we lol.

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Keep in mind the NO ONE said they couldn't build their mosque in Manhattan, or anywhere else in New York City.

People are constantly posting about the need for sensitivity to muslims, but it HAS to work both ways. Muslims also need to be sensitive to the wishes of their American hosts.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Intimidation and bigotry,... wait which side are you cheering for exactly? I know which side I think of when I hear those words.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Thanx shady Americans for not being cool how sad ran them off too. Now what if it was a SECRET evaluation THAT THE POWERS THAT BE (whom I am sure consist of muslims as well as other religious groups) ran to see if the US WAS WORTHY IN THE BIG APPLE of real peace and love for their fellow brothers

I was thinking they may have been just testing the waters to see how much they could get by with,

but remember this is not official.

[edit on 033131p://bMonday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by willow1d

they should build it just to spite the Red necks, conservatives and fox news readers,
its always fun pissing off red necks

[edit on 16-8-2010 by illusive man]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

The Oklahoma City bombing wasn't a declaration of war by the Islamic faith against the USA like 9/11 was.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Loutty

didnt relise faiths were entities these days
damn my religous studies teacher
damn him to hell lol

<<   2  3  4 >>

join