It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are women more forgiving and loving of pets than their men? Why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I have noticed a disturbing trend.

I can only speak for the culture in which I live - the United States. Perhaps others can chime in on their own as well.

The are exceptions to every trend, but *mostly* I have observed women treat their pets with more love and more forgiveness than their own men. I don't observe this trend anywhere near as close when the roles are reversed.

These must be contributing factors:
Culture
Programming/conditioning
the "function" of gender roles

I don't have much time this morning, but I wanted to get this rolling.
Please tell me what you think.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by ATS4dummies]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Women, by nature, are more caring individuals than men. However, I think I care for my dogs more than my wife does!

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I can see where you are coming from. I am from Canada and generally we aren't too much different than the US and this has to be one of those similarities. Just a quick example although I am sure there are a bunch:

If I were to get a door slammed on my face, and or hand, my girlfriend would probably fall over laughing. Although, if this were to happen to either of her cats (Rocky or Oreo) she would probably have a heart attack.

Not the best example but its the truth haha

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Are you jealous? I sense animosity.
2nd line

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior
Are you jealous? I sense animosity.
2nd line

Don't Troll. This is a good subject. What's your real life experience on this?

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ATS4dummies

To be honest, I dont notice any of this. I stay away from women who are extreme pet lovers, and when I say extreme, I think you know what I am talking about. I am assuming you are male too....did you get burned? seriously

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Women are by nature more caring. That being said, when it comes to pets I think its a different approach. Men to me seem more likely to stay angry with a pet if they do something wrong and when women are more forgiving. I think its more that women are more passive than men. I think its just a biological/ evolutionary thing.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I feel that women are genetically programmed to nurture, and to nurture small cuddly creatures like babies, which is their job as far as perpetuating the species. And from a psychological perspective, small animals fall into that categorically as well.

For example, simply look at the animal world, trainers, vets, vet techs, etc. And they are predominantly all Women.

This is too why I find Women are more prone to loving cats than Men commonly are. Men don't have the same nurturing psychological triggers that create an affection towards small creatures but instead are provided the psychological trigger instead to hunt small creatures necessary to nourish themselves.

As far as your original question, the reason why Women are more forgiving is that Men, unfortunately, don't fall into that small and cuddly category.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I think that is an excellent point. The masculine role in our American (and other) cultures is to be independent and self sufficient. If women have a propensity to build emotional bonds through nurturing, does our masculine role of independence sabotage and result in a lack of bonding?

The society is changing very rapidly, are we paying attention to where it is headed?

[edit on 16-8-2010 by ATS4dummies]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Men are big enough to look after themselves and ought to have some common sense.

Animals, on the other hand, can't be expected to understand all that is required of them or why it is required.

They are dependent on us for their happiness and the fulfilment of their basic needs. If we are going to keep them as pets - a decision they have no choice in - we owe it to them to be loving and understanding and to forgive them if they get it wrong sometimes.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Hmm I have been pondering this quite a bit...

I love my pup to pieces and yes I think I do have more patience ect with him lol,

Really, I think it’s due to the crazy world that we live in right now, every thing is so busy, and our pets become somewhat of a sanctuary from the hassle of life,

Now I come to the man thing, I kinda feel that many men (in know way all) show a lack of compassion these days, Almost becoming desensitized by the world around them,

I only speak from my own opinion here but I cant sit and watch a child on TV who is starving and still sit there with a packet of crisps in my mouth, though most men I know just seem to let stuff like that brush over them,

Its hard to explain other that a desensitization, Animals, pets tend to keep the innocence and neediness feeling going,

My pup makes me feel like he needs me to look after him, protect him from the big scary world out there,
It reminds me of feeling useful in world that just seems to not care as much anymore,

I just find that too many fellas and im sure girls too just see so much on TV and around them that you begin not to let it affect you anymore,

There was an example of this some time ago when a major tragedy happened and many said then it was hard to "Feel" the event, it was almost like it was not real anymore.

Baa im not even sure if im making sense here lol but an interesting question for sure that gets you thinking.

Men feeling less emotional? Women feeling more emotional? Intern rocking the prior balance?

Who knows?

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
because women don't generally feel a wall of separation between ,'us and them" to us ,to one degree or another we are all the same and in this life together

men seem to be more likely to say things like ,we are smarter than them

or otherwise categorize animals as inferiors .and women to ,where as to us they are partners

to a lot of men women and animals are underlings

I'm actually working on a thread somewhat related to this topic
but I won't have time to work on it for some time not until the next school break

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I'd say they are without a doubt. Let a cat !@#$ in her bed right where she lays her head and see how forgiving she is. She'd probably say, oh poor baby you must have eaten something that didn't set well on your tummy today.

Been there done that and the cat lived two or three years later only to get run over on the highway. Yes I forgave the cat I wouldn't scrape her off the road when she died though.

Or let the puppy chew up her brand new garden hose and see how forgiving she is. I'm sure she'd just go to the store and get a new one again and again no matter how many times it gets destroyed.

I have been to animal hell and got the T- Shirt. I gave up on filling up the holes in the yard, there's no way. They don't make enough dirt. If they do I don't have enough back left to put it out. For three or four years I tried to keep my dog from digging out and just when I thought I got him stopped, he's learned to go over the fence so he doesn't have to dig a new hole. Imagine that.

I like pets mostly because they make the kids happy and might alert me to a fire or intruder.

Oh, today I found my grill brush chewed all to pieces. Wonderful, wonderful, sigh....

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Edit because I misread the question. It's late.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by TheAssociate]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Hey, I've purposely been single for almost 2 years now, and love my two dogs to death. I can tell you one thing, neither one of them have ever once stabbed me in the back. Every woman I have ever given my heart to has though without exception. I think your thread is in error, it's not ONLY women who think this way.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Sorry folks,
I was going to bring in a lot of supporting evidence on this thread to make it an interesting read, but the mod elevatedOne ruined it by moving it to the belowTopSecret.com site.

So now there is no point in continuing because it is out of site from the main readership; it's a shame they do that, isn't it?

[edit on 29-8-2010 by ATS4dummies]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

There's nothing wrong with BTS. I actually prefer it to ATS most of the time. Sure, it moves a little slower, but the conversations here are just as interesting and when threads are well presented, they attract the same intellectual quality you'd get from ATS. You might get a few jokes and off-topic comments, but that just makes it more fun.

I say go for it. Post your supporting evidence and people will reply.

TheAssoc.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I would have thought there was a simple answer to this..
Pets are cute and fluffy and role around and go "meeep"
Men on the other hand are rarely fluffy and very rarely say "meeep"

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATS4dummies
The are exceptions to every trend, but *mostly* I have observed women treat their pets with more love and more forgiveness than their own men.

There's a book in there somewhere...lol

That sentence says so much.

Is this about respect?

I have 3 cats btw and I love them more than any thing or one.

Men can prefer pets too ;-) so I think it's a "human" thing, maybe they should also survey men too?

[edit on 29/8/2010 by nerbot]

top topics

join