It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plane crash due to bad weather in Colombia kills one

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Plane crash due to bad weather in Colombia kills one

edition.cnn.com

(CNN) -- One passenger was killed when an airplane crashed in bad weather and split into two when landing early Monday on the island of San Andres, Colombia, officials said.

The precise number of injured remained unclear Monday morning, but the national police said only six of at least 127 people aboard the plane were not hurt.

There were 131 people on-board the Aires airline 737-700 jet when it crashed around 1:50 a.m. (2:50 a.m. ET), the Colombian national police said. The flight had 121 adult passengers, four minors and six crew members, the police said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:

Copy the Exact Headline and Story Snippet

[edit on 8/16/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Wow! It actually split the plane from the strike. I have never heard about this happening before. Does this mean that the lightening in our atmosphere is getting stronger? Is this possible? Our Earth is doing some very odd things as of late and it seems to be getting worse. Stronger storms and storms happening in areas that rarely get them. I was under the impression that when lightning hits a plan e that it goes around the skin then is shot out the tail end of the aircraft.

edition.cnn.com

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo

Wow! It actually split the plane from the strike. I have never heard about this happening before. Does this mean that the lightening in our atmosphere is getting stronger? Is this possible? Our Earth is doing some very odd things as of late and it seems to be getting worse. Stronger storms and storms happening in areas that rarely get them. I was under the impression that when lightning hits a plan e that it goes around the skin then is shot out the tail end of the aircraft.

edition.cnn.com

No, the story makes it clear that the 737 hit short of the runway and split in 2. The photo also showed typical impact damage from a flight into terrain type accident.
Aircraft I have been flying have been hit numerous times by lightning with varying but never catastrophic consequences. Usually, it leaves a charred mark where it hit and where it exited, which has been the tail, wingtip, nosecone, or propellor tip. It usually ruins some avionics, and can blow off static wicks. It also really screws up your night vision for quite a while.
The only airline crash conclusively shown to have resulted from lightning was Pan Am 214 (a Boeing 707)in Maryland in 1963. The strike sparked a fuel tank fire, loss of a wing and crash with all on board being killed.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
While unfortunate, it's pretty amazing only one person died in this incident.

As random as lightning is, I don't see why it's not in the realm of possibility that it could take down a plane. I don't think it would have to be any stronger, just has to mess up the right things.

join