It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World War II horrors faced by 'forgotten army' in Asia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk

"Some of the other prisoners tried to escape but they were caught. Their heads were chopped off in front of us so we would not think about doing the same thing."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
With VJ Day, let us not forget the suffering of those POWs. Although this story is from a British perspective, we must never forget the other allied nations and their plight as prisoners. The war in Asia and the Pacific cost countless thousands.

Please take time to read the link and remember that for these poor souls, the war did not end with capture.

www.bbc.co.uk

Edit for poor Gammar. 6/10 See Me!!

[edit on 16/8/2010 by TheLoneArcher]

Spelling!!!!

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
These men are heroes and deserve recognition. I am familiar with their stories and they are not forgotten as far as I am concerned. They suffered some of the most brutal treatment known to man at the hands of their Japanese captors.

With their sacrifice and of others we live free from the terror and deprivation of Japanese Imperial domination and Nazism. We ought to think about them every day. Today, the world is not as great as it can be, however; it would be far worse if the powers mentioned above survived any longer than they did.

The snippet mentioned how the Japanese chopped off heads to deter disobedience from the prisoners. Well, there is another story not widely known about when the Japanese were getting their heads chopped off and were the hunted on the island of Borneo during the Second World War. The story was brought to my attention by viewing the PBS program Secrets of the Dead. It details the story of when US airmen were shot down over the island interior, and how the tribal people harassed and terrorized their Japanese pursuers.

A must see, and a fascinating story about karma for the Japanese. Back to the subject, these men are a testament to how strong the will to survive truly is. These men never wavered or submitted to their captors. Deep down they always had defiance on their minds and a will to defeat the enemy. Their resolve should be applauded by all who face unspeakable odds. If they could hold out and survive, any one can. Thanks for reinforcing their story OP!

[edit on 16-8-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
least we never forget the brave soldiers who died not just in this war but in all conflicts big and small true heroes are these men

[edit on 16-8-2010 by truth_of_truth]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher

www.bbc.co.uk

"Some of the other prisoners tried to escape but they were caught. Their heads were chopped off in front of us so we would not think about doing the same thing."

are WE (the US and the UK) seriously complaining about war crimes?

second.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by truth_of_truth

Here, here. Well said my friend. It is the sacrifice made by these people that allow us to be on this Forum today. However, let us also be mindful of all soldiers (I mean real soldiers, not bullies and tyrants) from all Nations who have paid the ultimate price in fulfilling the wishes of those polititians who fight the war from comfortable offices while we die in mud and filth.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

they send brave men and women to there death while comfortable in there multi-million dollar houses, citizens most of the time dont wish to have war but we are blasted with such war-mongering rhetoric that it makes us not only believe we want war but in some cases actually want it

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by truth_of_truth

You said it. As quoted in the film Troy, "War is old men talking and young men dying".

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
G'day All,

The Sandakan Death Marches were a series of forced marches in East Malaysia from Sandakan to Ranau which resulted in the deaths of more than 3,600 Indonesian civilian slave labourers and 2,400 Allied prisoners of war held captive by the Empire of Japan during the Pacific campaign of World War II at prison camps in North Borneo. By the end of the war, of all the prisoners who had been incarcerated at Sandakan and Ranau, only six Australians survived, all of whom had escaped. It is widely considered to be the single worst atrocity suffered by Australian servicemen during the Second World War.

Lest We Forget......

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Kernoonos

I mirror you sentiments exactly. It was a brutal peroid of the war. Even during the taking of Singapore, they butchered the sick in their hospital beds.

new topics

top topics

join