It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army to use 'Dirty Harry' bullet against the Taliban

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by iabductaliens

Yeah, fine.

But surely that is what GPMGs, Minimis, grenade machineguns and CQB Brownings are all about - providing fire support.

Are you saying that today's Gun Groups are incapable of giving a squad or section fire support while they get into a posn to asslt the enemy pos?

That's what I used to do on the General, LMG, LSW and to the best of my knowledge, that is what a gun group still does.

It used to be about winning the firefight - chucking accurate rounds at the enemy to keep their heads down whilst those lucky enough, fixed bayonets and primed their grenades ready for the assault.

Over to you Paddy.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
if europe wasn't so oppressive then it's citizens would know how to shoot. if you are some country hick in america then you could easily hit a man at four or five hundred yards, but if you never shot a gun in your life until you get in the military how can they really expect you to know how to shoot? the same goes for people from bigger cities here in america, yeah they could hit you at ten feet with a nine millimeter, but anyone who was raised hunting and shooting guns could take you out at hundreds of yards even with open sights and no scope no problem. i know i could.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by 2weird2live2rare2die

I am sorry, but I just do not agree.

Yes, I am a European chappie and am English to boot and proud of it. To blandly say that we Europeans don't get to shoot much because of where we live is, not strictly speaking true. In the Dis-United Kingdom, we have some of the worst Draconian gun laws found anywhere in the world as a direct result of certain gun nutters who went on a rampage (a much nicer word than killing spree!), the ownership of any type of firearms for members of the public to shoot is strictly controlled and in some cases, rightly so.

Saying that where you live has a direct bearing on how well or how poorly one can shoot is, in my opinion, balderdash! It simply does not matter where you were born, how you were brought up or whether or not you have been using a firearm since the day you first sat on the potty!

Given a blank canvas, can an artist paint a picture? Of course so.

When I first joined Her Majesty's Armed Forces, using a firearm of any type, did not come naturally to me. My first practice session on a military range in 1960something, involved shooting an old SMLE 303! Messers Lee and Enfield's rifle was very unforgiving at the best of times and even more so with untrained recruits.

That my friends, is why I refer to a blank canvas. Military recruits are blank canvases - they are taught to shine boots and shoes; how to iron and clean their clothing; they are taught how to care for their equipment. Above all, they are taught to shoot a rifle for their job is to kill the enemy and the rifle is the tool of their trade. Anybody can be taught to shoot and, in my 30 years experience, I have not seen any evidence to the contrary.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Strange how we never had these arguments with 7.62NATO.

Also strange how most states in the US have outlawed the use of .223/5.56 on deer.

I wonder why, perhaps there's a common reason.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join