It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The State of our Dysfunctional Union

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

Inclusive by bringing everyone together into a group. Not excluding people as a group. Uniting the nation as a nation instead of a Liberal or a Conservative, or a Republican or a Democrat, or Black or White, but everyone together.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Well thats why I have always been against political parties.

They destroy democracy by their very being...

How can you have a representative if they "must" tow the party line..

So yes, I'm with you on that...

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Yes, if there were no political parties in this country, this would be much MUCH better off. Politicians would be more likely to listen to their constituency than they would special interest groups.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Getting everybody together has NOTHING to do with government.

Government is there to protect us from infringement of our rights. Period.

Any other excuse is tyrannical.

That about sums up my position, and the position of the founders.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

They aren't exclusive. The people ARE the government.

Getting the people united is the point of having a united states.

[edit on 8/14/2010 by whatukno]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

You must be a General Welfare man.

Am I right?

You should like this guy then.

Here is a pretty good breakdown for the problems with the General Welfare component and how the current government could even use it to mean anything.

www.reasontofreedom.com...

IMO, the general welfare clause was used to further the power of the federal government unlawfully.

Like I said, the link gives a pretty good breakdown of the problems with the General Welfare component.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by saltheart foamfollower]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

The point of this thread wasn't exactly welfare, it got sidetracked to welfare because one poster wanted to derail this thread to that.

But to answer your question the general welfare clause in the United States Constitution is not in my opinion an entitlement clause.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

We the People have to in my opinion stop the cycle of voting people in office that have been there for decades, we have to hold these people accountable and constantly be involved with our government.

Reject the richest candidates, research and reject those that take money from groups. Any group, even if you agree with that group, reject the greed.

I must admit I didn't read the rest of your thread, so if what I say has been addressed my apologies.

I agree with what you have said 100% but what you are talking about is a cultural shift that I don't believe we'll have. Individualist thinking is entrenched in the American psyche in my experience.

The American people are consumers at heart. The ability to choose what they consume, especially in the form of information, only better reinforces their personal ideologies. The systems initially in place to protect our sovereignty and liberty have been reduced to a complete mockery of what was intended. Look at journalism!

I've worked as an activist and it is akin to herding cats. Educating people is no easy task by any means and even less so when that education points out ones cognitive dissonance and also calls into question every thing one thinks and believes.

I just don't see the American people deciding to challenge themselves as long as they have so much excess to preoccupy them.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdAbsurdum

I just don't see the American people deciding to challenge themselves as long as they have so much excess to preoccupy them.

What are you on about....

Over forty million Americans are on food stamps. Real unemployment is somewhere around twenty percent.

*I take it you have too much excess which you believe stops you from challenging yourself and are just projecting that unreal outlook to others.

That would make sense.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Originally posted by AdAbsurdum

What are you on about....

Over forty million Americans are on food stamps. Real unemployment is somewhere around twenty percent.

*I take it you have too much excess which you believe stops you from challenging yourself and are just projecting that unreal outlook to others.

That would make sense.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by Exuberant1]

Ok... so 40 million plus 20% of 300 million is.... 100 million people.

So, a 3rd of this nation, with it's free food and free money have been able to preoccupy themselves pretty well seeing as how we haven't had wall street trader's heads on pikes yet.

Why do you think that is since you disagree with me?

Also, you are dead wrong about my personal circumstances but you have a right to speculate... You could always ask, though....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join