It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr David Kelly was on a hitlist, says UN weapons expert as calls grow for full inquest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Dr David Kelly was on a hitlist, says UN weapons expert as calls grow for full inquest

www.dailymail.co.uk

A leading UN weapons inspector last night added his voice to the growing clamour for a full inquest into the death of Dr David Kelly. Dr Richard Spertzel claimed Dr Kelly was on a 'hitlist' in the final years of his life.

Dr Spertzel said: 'I know that David, as well as myself and a couple of others, were on an Iraqi hitlist. In late 1997, we were told by the Russian embassy in Baghdad. I had no idea what it meant but apparently David and I were high on the priority list.'
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The Murder of Dr David Kelly
New Call for Dr David Kelly Inquest

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Apparently Dr Spertzel and Dr Kelly were numbers 3 and 4 on the list, according to the Russian Embassy.

It isn't surprising at all. What is surprising is that it has takes Dr Spertzel all this time to come out in public about it (possibly scared for his life?) and that it was the Russians who warned him and Kelly.

Not too sure of the legitimacy of the claims but it certainly adds another dimension to the case.

www.dailymail.co.uk (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I was talking to my dad about this and the Mail's push for the truth. Dad was an old Fleet Street hack and mentioned that every editor has a safe full of stories that can't be published due to government or other influences. Stories and evidence are gathered and sometimes papers will push the limits of the constraints put on them if they feel a real injustice is done. He believes this is the case with the Daily Mail and that they probably have something, but can't publish it.

Anyway, I read about the Iraqi hit list in Norman Baker's book, but the way he presented the information was a little vague. Kelly was indeed a threat to the Iraqi regime, but at the time he was a bigger threat to the war effort. Some say his evidence could have put a stop to the whole thing, so I guess the question is who was he a bigger threat to?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

I agree.

I really am left questioning Dr Spertzel's timing on this piece of evidence. Just as there is increased calls for an full inquiry into the case someone close to Dr David Kelly comes out and lays the blame at the Iraqi's feet. Highly suspicious.

If the Iraqi's had murdered Dr Kelly then wouldn't the British government and secret services be the first to made it public - as further justification for their illegal war? I'm sure they would.

Unless of course they had prior knowledge of the assassination or even had a hand in it jointly with the Iraqi's.

I'm not buying that is was solely the Iraqi's, not for a minute.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
If Dr. Kelly was a threat to the looming war against Iraq, it makes no sense for the Iraqi regime to want him dead.
It would, of course, be a reason for those Iraqis waiting in the wings to return to power to want him removed. And let us not forget that those were the people our government and various intelligence agencies were backing too.

Sorry, I just don't see that Saddam would be behind this, as seems to be suggested. That would just be far too convenient in throwing off any deeper enquiry and sounds more than a little suspect.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

You made a great thread about this not so long ago. It needs to be resurrected and slapped straight on the front page again.

The other theory is that intelligence services were aware of the threat to Kelly's life and allowed the murder to take place. Whichever way you look at it, his death was very beneficial to the war effort, so by turning a blind eye or facilitating his murder, it was integral to removing questions of legality surrounding the invasion.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

It is well documented that he became a thorn in the side of Saddam's regime. Kelly had asserted that Saddam had moved biological and chemical weapons to Syria in the build-up to war.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   

I share the suspicions that Kelly was killed to draw people's focus away from the absence of WMD (reason for war) and the fudged report. The people with the easiest access and biggest incentives to kill him would probably be either UK or US in origin. I could conceive an Israeli motive, but don't favour the idea.

That said, it's a damned shame that the man was used by many interests while he was alive. Suicide or not, they led to his death. It's perverse of the Daily Mail to still be using him now. It won't be out of good conscience or morality. It's using Kelly as a stick to beat the Blair Government with. The Mail wants Blair exposed with blood on his hands as a poor reflection on the (New)Labour Party.

In a sense we also use Kelly as a martyr to Government corruption and illegal, preemptive warfare. We also use him as a figurehead of standing up and remaining honest in the face of incredible pressures.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

This hit was not done by Iraqi's or the U.N

This hit was done by a faction inside the British government/Intelligence community with the cover story of being Russian diplomats

ON JUNE 30, 2003, MI5 had e-mailed to all police forces in Britain a document headed "secret Service Espionage Alert." It read, "We are aware that Russian intelligence officers travel widely throughout the U.K and that some of the activity undertaken by these officers is intelligence related. The Russian Federation Intelligence Services are assessed as posing a SUBSTANTIAL threat to the U.K Full Vehicles Should not be stopped or followed, nor should there occupants be questioned. Reports should be sent to the Security Service." The alert concluded with a reminder that the vehicles would be bearing the license plate prefix 248D, assigned to all Russian diplomatic vehicles. A week before Dr. Kelly set out on his walk, a Thames Valley Police car had spotted a Land Rover with those numbers heading toward Southmoor. Details were radioed to the force's traffic headquarters, where they were sent over a secure line to Thames House.

From the book: Inside British intelligence by Gordon Thomas

10 edits later I think this post is now how I want it

[edit on 14-8-2010 by Pockets]

new topics

top topics

join