It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New [EX] limits don't allow us to cite scholarly abstracts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
The new external source quote limits might be about preventing massive copy-pasting, but the old percentage limits on how much we're allowed to paste... are over with. In most cases abstracts simply won't fit into the what-is-it 2 paragraphs?

This is particularly annoying because we can't even fit the links in the external quote box, to keep a clean presentation.

I'm trying to do the most all out presentation on fighting cancer, from my research trying to help my mom who was diagnosed with stage 3b lung cancer this week, and I already know the new quote limit is going to have me painfully jumping thru hoops. An extra hour formatting posts that already take hours to format into bbcode (nevermind the research effort) is a major turnoff.

If we can't cite abstracts what else is there? This new measure is quite unforgiving.

[edit on 14-8-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

sorry to hear bout your mom

dont know how to help except to link to the cancer cure stuff i have seen

cant recomend or suggest stuff as im not a doctor this is more for encouragement

ex link
tv.globalresearch.ca...

ex link
www.couriermail.com.au...

sorry about off topic
this is not medical advice just some hope for the future

xploder

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Click here for more information.

reply to post by RestingInPieces

Thanks. I really needed to be told that I shouldn't be allowed to post abstracts from scholarly scientific papers in response to my research to help my technically terminal mother, and to help everyone else out there facing cancer.

It's no wonder if I had my way I'd be floatilla'ing across the globe on an artificial island, facing death at any day, all worth it for even just one day of true freedom away from the lowest common denominator of society that is the rounded up average across the board. Thanks for confirming my outlook, and having me go back to questioning the time and efforts I put into trying to help us all overcome the adversities we all face.

[edit on 14-8-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   

some people are just clueless, dont worry

and I agree, if you cant quote abstracts from papers, its just useless

[edit on 14/8/10 by neformore]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Simple message here.

Stick to the topic, and be CIVIL to each other.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I also have this problem

The main issue is when Im trying to provide upper air weather data for various threads. There's quite a bit of data for weather balloon flights and I just cant get the message across due to the limit i the number of words we are allowed

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I'm veteran enough in the Fragile Earth forums that when I realized the EX limits the first thing that came to mind was how peoples efforts in that forums was effectively shut down.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Sorry to read about your mom.
the quote limits are confineing...
Is there some place where you can compile text like a blog or maybe like a photo...?
Then link to that?

Here is an article about adding a [show text / hide text] to the template like we already do with quotes. maybe the mods might go for that?
www.google.com...

in yahoo answers they suggest going to this place to creat your own free website Scroll down to the second answer.
answers.yahoo.com...

[edit on 14-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
Sorry to read about your mom.
the quote limits are confineing...
Is there some place where you can compile text like a blog or maybe like a photo...?
Then link to that?

My comments about that had to be removed to contain my fury. Basically, whatever isn't embedded is almost always treated as rhetoric, or rather just completely ignored.

I know first hand that if a video can't be embedded here there's absolutely no point in posting it. If you wont upload to Google-owned Youtube, or can't upload to ATS, don't bother making a thread, even if it contains tons of links and info. Basically, spend weeks editing a video, but if you can't use those excessively restricted sources, save yourself the disappointment of trying to make it worth your while posting at ATS.

That is only one form of example.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   

IgnoranceIsntBlisss.....

I also post complex medical technology info in the Medical Forum, including my threads pertaining to advanced oncology technologies, e.g.

NanoKnife: Cancer Breakthrough Without Radiation or Drugs

I use the quotation function for the medical abstracts, not the text function.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
[edit on August 14th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not

I use the quotation function for the medical abstracts, not the text function.

Thanks.

The fact that we can loophole using the quote function makes it silly to limit the ex function. With that annoying popup box that appears when you try to paste anything, that should be enough to enforce excessive quoting when it does happen. Punishing everyone all the time for the occasional noob excessive quoting is on par with the War on Drugs or the War on Terror.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
i CAN only post links to news videos (mostly yahoo) taht I think are worth posting.
But I always check the links work? the pop up box does ask you to add your own thoughts along with the video so whats the problem here?
You can post links to news videos you can quote a few lines (copy paste)
and it is only good manners to add a few lines in saying just what it is about the video that you found reason enough to post it.
Is it you guys want to post whole transcripts of text about that video?
i see some post here that look like a text book and I usually just go to the reply's.
I have seen post that take 3 or 4 reply's to complete the post the person is making. Now that is unreal .

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Yeah, agree with IIB (probably the only time we have). They are naff.

Would be nice to maybe have separate tags for scientific abstracts. Something like:

[abs][/abs]

and then require the digital object identifier reference (DOI) as the link. DOI is the norm for intertube linking in academia now.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I suggested that that annoying pop up go away for posters with certain posting contributor levels. We'll see.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

It was probably because you told me I shouldn't be allowed to paste anything at all because there exists in the world snake oil websites... when what I was complaining about was not being able to post scholarly paper abstracts.

If you don't know the difference between the two that makes you about on par with people who fall for snake oil gimmicks.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
There has always been a limit on quoting external sources.

Posting work written by others:

posted on January 2nd 2006
Going forward, if you post something that is not 100% your own writing or work you must use the EX TAG, post NO MORE THAN 15% of the original (or three paragraphs, whichever is least), and GIVE A LINK TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL. If the work you are posting is not on the internet, from a book for example, you MUST give a credit for that Book ( the title), its Author and Publisher.

Nothing has changed except the [reminder] pop-up block, because it was becoming a habitual problem of people copying/pasting HUGE amounts of external source text.

There is nothing wrong with giving a snippet and a link for members to go read the full text.

[edit on August 15th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
[edit on August 15th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join