It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the US successfully invade Canada?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I understand the question posed as being entirely hypothetical. The US and Canada are allies and the best of friends and a war between these two great nations would be all but unthinkable. Nevertheless, it is a valid question that is posed here.
It's worthy of thoughtful consideration. Furthermore, it's a scenario that the military establishments of both nations most certainly plan for. After all, it's what they do and they would be remiss if they didn't.

As an American living in Canada, I have a love and an allegiance for both countries. I would never want to see to see the day that the US invaded Canada (and I'm certain that I never will). However, if the US ever did invade Canada, I'm afraid to say that the initial invasion would quite quickly destroy Canada's vital infrastructure. Canada, because of her massive size and relatively small population, lacks the redundancy in power generation, communication and transportation that Americans take for granted. Very quickly, Canada would be plunged into darkness through precision strikes on key power transmission routes. Similarly, Communications could be severed. These two factors alone would cause widespread panic and chaos in the civil population hampering military reserve call-ups and movements.

Cluster bombings of key transportation routes: East - West and North - South highway and rail systems would all but isolate individual provinces so that they could be dealt with on an individual basis. Keep in mind that Air dominance would be, most assuredly, be in American hands right from the start. Canada's Air Force is primarily comprised of American Aircraft however, unlike the American military air fleet, it is aging and is due for replacement. In fact, the Canadian government has recently announced that it is to be replaced (undoubtedly with additional American aircraft).

For all intent and purpose, Canada could be conquered rather quickly. However, no nation is subdued until there are "boots on the ground" and this is where the game could change quite rapidly.

We have all witnessed how insurgencies and guerrilla warfare can all but paralyze efforts to "Americanize", so called, "conquered" nations in Iraq and Afghanistan. Considering that the insurgencies and guerrilla forces in those countries are relatively untrained and uneducated, they are extremely effective. Furthermore, they are a population that are readily distinguishable from the American forces. Consider a Canadian insurgency that is, essentially, indistinguishable from the American force. The Canadians are readily able to infiltrate the American military with a thorough knowledge of American tactics and even procedures. The Canadians are even thoroughly familiar with most American weaponry and equipment.
This sort of knowledge would make a Canadian guerrilla force especially effective.

For those Americans who believe that the Canadians are some sort of pacifist population who are basically unarmed and defenseless, they should understand that the Canadians are, like their American counterparts, quite avid hunters. In spite of some popular misconceptions, there are plenty of guns in the Great White North. The real difference is in the difficulty to obtain weapons. While handguns are extremely difficult to obtain, long-rifles of all types are available. There are many, many competent hunters and sportsmen in Canada and, considering the vast territories, dense woods, forests and Tundras in Canada, they have plenty of places to which they can fall back, hide, regroup, organize and plan, they could comprise quite a formidable guerrilla force.

Additionally, if you add Canada's aboriginal people's to this guerrilla force, they would be a force that would be extremely difficult to contain. Canada's Aboriginal peoples have been well represented the in the Canadian Forces as well as the American military. Considering themselves 'born warriors', their natural woodcraft and hunting skills and prowess would make a Canadian insurgency very effective. Furthermore, there would be a very real possibility that America's Aboriginal peoples would join into the fray in support of their "brothers in arms".

The US can most definitely invade Canada. The US can probably dominate and control large areas of Canada in a rather short time but.... I don't believe that they could truly conquer Canada. Though, ultimately, some sort of peace would result, it would come at a considerable price for the US.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I highly doubt that Canada would ever fight the US "should" the US decide to invade for whatever idiotic reason.

The Canadians would probably just give us their country so they don't have to fight. When was the last time you heard of Canada actually standing up for something and fighting with the rest of us, and I don't mean in small numbers.

That's what I thought.

Oh, and for a previous poster, Canda's beer sucks.

King

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Why?, it would make no sense do to this. The bankers in charge behind the scenes already own both countries lock stock and barrel.

Give me control of a nation's money SUPPLY, and I care not who makes the laws.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kingalbrect79
When was the last time you heard of Canada actually standing up for something and fighting with the rest of us, and I don't mean in small numbers.

WWI
WWII
Korean War
Volunteers Force to Viet Nam
Afghanistan

Perhaps a second glance at a history book might be in order. Canada has always ... I repeat ... always shown up "at the dance". As far as the "numbers" are concerned, keep in mind that Canada is a relatively small country in terms of population. Canada has always made manpower contributions that have been proportional with it's population and with the manpower contribution of other nations.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingalbrect79

Oh yeah, because my Great Uncle took a free government "vacation" to Europe in the '40's only to see the sights...

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
NO! lmao They could try to invade, but as soon as winter hit......goodbye!

Why do i say this, try -50 celcius in january and -30 celcius the rest of nov/dec/feb/march. The usa better put heater cords in their vehicles and then buy a warm coat/boots/gloves/toque ect. They would freeze to death and it's not like we will be out plowing our roads for them. lol Winter would stop them in their tracks, You can have quebec because none of us in the west want that place anyways. Take them over and soon America will have french as a second language everywhere as well. Why? because they will just keep on crying till it would happen.

I love this thread, it's funny!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Couple things I know for sure... I once spoke to some ex german nazi that immigrated to Canada 10-15 years after the war and they had come to the Nov 11 parades when I was a air cadet and we asked them which country soldiers they feared he most and they said it was either Russians or Canadians because neither would ever back down no matter what...

I can't speak for city people but where I'm from NB I used to be DJ in a club and there would be tons of guys from USA that would cross the bridge every darn weekend and come here with over enflated ego and cross the bridge back home with broken bones all the time... The last one I saw before I quit working there got his face rammed into the side of a door 3 times and had a gash open and spitting blood from the middle of his forehead down to the side of his chin... nose of shattered to pieces...

Even one night due to some stuff that had happen between me an a girl from US, her brother and 5 of his friends came and asked my boss if they could speak to me outside... I agreed and went and they wanted to fight all 6 of them on me alone... I pop a fuse and my boss and 3 other people held me back cuz I had to work.. I offered them to be there at 2am sharp soon as I finished my night... I would of take on them 6 one by one or two by two I didn't care... People gathered up at 2am but they had left earlier while I was in the booth saying I was a #ing psychopath and it wasn't worth it...

Please don't go thinking all Canadians are faggets and walk around listening to IPOD like StillAlive mentioned... I'm from N-B we do three things here.... Drink, Fight and hunt... We've got pretty good at fighting with the years ask the guys from Madawaska Maine... lol

In a possible war scenario I seriously doubt US can invade Canada, Military they have more equipment but here's a couple issues...

-Current US Soldiers are mostly all deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan and are used to very hot climates... They wouldn't endure coming back and fight into our winters it'd be a massacre and they would all be sick like dogs in no time...

-US Soldiers are dead tired of fighting there.. Just look at the suicide rates sky rocketing... You don't win any war without the moral to support it...

-Biggest threat in Canada is not the army but the people aside from big cities, where I live we're all armed to the teeth we all hunt and can live in the woods without any problem and would all fight to death to the idea of "big brother" trying to take down "little brother"

-If US would retract from Afghanistan and try to invade CAN its likely that Russia would move down to Cuba and start moving up and use this situation to take over US while they are busy trying to take over Canada...

-Over confidence would play a major role... You can't go to war or a fight of any kind with the mentality that you are going to win... Because your down for a surprise at the bottom of the line... Anyone thats been into enough fight will know this as much as I do...

Now I didn't said the above to start WW3 Its my point of view on things from my personal experience, don't get me wrong I've been out with alot of girls from the US and I have LOTS of friends in Maine I even work right now with a couple of people from Main and they are pretty cool. There's assholes everywhere no matter which country you go in but I've seen over 300 fights between Can vs USA guys vs guys / girls vs girls over 20 I was into myself... I've seen gang fights and in almost all cases the US got their ass handed over to them very bad... There was a time where it got so bad that guys in Madawaska wanted revenge and would gather up in gang and challenge guys in Can and plan fights on the weekends until some people got hurt so bad the cops were everywhere in town for the rest of the summer then it started to cool down after either we all grew up or they just got tired or the bridge was a pain to walk across with broken bones...

F*ck I miss those adrenaline fueled summers it was like real life fight club... Its kinda cooled down alot now though, the "asshole" type hit 21 and stop coming in Can to drink and the guys/girls that still come are pretty cool so...

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by -Blackout-
I dont understand the point of this thread.

And the US would never invade Canada anyway. We have no reason to. Its a dumb argument.

This is one of those "my dad can beat up your dad" threads.

I agree completely. The US loves Canada. I never, ever see us in any type of hostile arrangement with Canada. Canada is our best friend in the world. We share the largest unsecured border on Earth. Canada is always there when we need them, even when our conscientious objectors need a place to run. It's beautiful, friendly, etc. As an American, I can't say enough good things about Canada. Thanks, Canada. Thanks for even standing by us when we have stupid wars. You guys and gals rock.

This is a typical troll thread, IMHO.

I am placing Intrepid on my IGNORE list.

[edit on 8/14/2010 by Jim Scott]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by rival
Well, hmm, let's see.

US population 300 million
Canada..........30 million

Ten times more people in the US

US 1 Canada 0

US Military budget.............600 billion
Canada Military budget.......20 billion

US 2 Canada 0

Readiness of guns (domestic-non-military)

US = One locked and loaded in the pocket, and two in the pick-up truck

Canada = One unloaded, with trigger guard, and ammo stored elsewhere.

US 3 Canada 0

Provisions for soldiers

US = watery beer, weak cigarettes, Dunkin Doughnuts

Canada = real beer, strong cigarettes, Tim Horton's

US 3 Canada 4

.....so it looks like Canada wins
LOL seriously, i was getting mad till i got to the end, bang on we win buddy. Pritty much every major country loves us Canadians too, so if the Americans did invade, I have a feeling we would have the help

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
It would take 5 years of careful planning ahead of time but I believe that I know how to get the job done to point of Canada surrendering as the war/invasion would begin. And quite frankly, parts of it are already under way. This list is by no means comprehensive.

1. Destabilize the US Economy. The key here is that US has to be willing to recall manufacturing back to the states such as the auto industry which is the cornerstone of Canadian manufacturing, especially in the Windsor area.

2. End the export of duct tape. Let's face it, it is the only thing holding most of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba together.

3. Legalize Industrial Hemp in the US. We know darn good and well that is given that rope, many US growers will do the other kind. The trafficking of US blends and strains will pretty much reign in BC and Ontario Providences to whatever it takes to keep the flow going.

4. Return all Canadian "exports". Alex Trebek, Brian Adams, Celine Dion, Alanis Morissette, Rick Moranis...trust me, they were happy to be rid of them and so will we.

5. Just prior to invasion, covertly support Quebec's Independence. Part 2 is remove all military and financial support the instant they declare it. This accomplishes two things. It makes the rest of Canada happy. They will be too drunk/stoned/giddy with excitement to finally be rid of Quebec's BS to mount a successful defense to invasion. And two, they might actually welcome becoming part of the US to be sure that Quebec could never rejoin and burden the rest of the people again. It would also have the added bonus of all remaining Canadian military being deployed at the east and west borders of Quebec to make sure they stay put leaving the rest of the country defenseless.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by _R4t_
Couple things I know for sure... I once spoke to some ex german nazi that immigrated to Canada 10-15 years after the war and they had come to the Nov 11 parades when I was a air cadet and we asked them which country soldiers they feared he most and they said it was either Russians or Canadians because neither would ever back down no matter what...

I can't speak for city people but where I'm from NB I used to be DJ in a club and there would be tons of guys from USA that would cross the bridge every darn weekend and come here with over enflated ego and cross the bridge back home with broken bones all the time... The last one I saw before I quit working there got his face rammed into the side of a door 3 times and had a gash open and spitting blood from the middle of his forehead down to the side of his chin... nose of shattered to pieces...

Even one night due to some stuff that had happen between me an a girl from US, her brother and 5 of his friends came and asked my boss if they could speak to me outside... I agreed and went and they wanted to fight all 6 of them on me alone... I pop a fuse and my boss and 3 other people held me back cuz I had to work.. I offered them to be there at 2am sharp soon as I finished my night... I would of take on them 6 one by one or two by two I didn't care... People gathered up at 2am but they had left earlier while I was in the booth saying I was a #ing psychopath and it wasn't worth it...

Please don't go thinking all Canadians are faggets and walk around listening to IPOD like StillAlive mentioned... I'm from N-B we do three things here.... Drink, Fight and hunt... We've got pretty good at fighting with the years ask the guys from Madawaska Maine... lol

In a possible war scenario I seriously doubt US can invade Canada, Military they have more equipment but here's a couple issues...

-Current US Soldiers are mostly all deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan and are used to very hot climates... They wouldn't endure coming back and fight into our winters it'd be a massacre and they would all be sick like dogs in no time...

-US Soldiers are dead tired of fighting there.. Just look at the suicide rates sky rocketing... You don't win any war without the moral to support it...

-Biggest threat in Canada is not the army but the people aside from big cities, where I live we're all armed to the teeth we all hunt and can live in the woods without any problem and would all fight to death to the idea of "big brother" trying to take down "little brother"

-If US would retract from Afghanistan and try to invade CAN its likely that Russia would move down to Cuba and start moving up and use this situation to take over US while they are busy trying to take over Canada...

-Over confidence would play a major role... You can't go to war or a fight of any kind with the mentality that you are going to win... Because your down for a surprise at the bottom of the line... Anyone thats been into enough fight will know this as much as I do...

Now I didn't said the above to start WW3 Its my point of view on things from my personal experience, don't get me wrong I've been out with alot of girls from the US and I have LOTS of friends in Maine I even work right now with a couple of people from Main and they are pretty cool. There's assholes everywhere no matter which country you go in but I've seen over 300 fights between Can vs USA guys vs guys / girls vs girls over 20 I was into myself... I've seen gang fights and in almost all cases the US got their ass handed over to them very bad... There was a time where it got so bad that guys in Madawaska wanted revenge and would gather up in gang and challenge guys in Can and plan fights on the weekends until some people got hurt so bad the cops were everywhere in town for the rest of the summer then it started to cool down after either we all grew up or they just got tired or the bridge was a pain to walk across with broken bones...

F*ck I miss those adrenaline fueled summers it was like real life fight club... Its kinda cooled down alot now though, the "asshole" type hit 21 and stop coming in Can to drink and the guys/girls that still come are pretty cool so...

Show me a canadian who could beat Brock Lesnar

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
What a ridiculous post. Someone obviously looking to try and salvage some sort of glory from the depths of despair.

I think I put it nicely on another post. If America started just after breakfast they should have "mission accomplished" by lunch.

Now remember, YOU asked for our opinion so I will give it to you!

Canada although big is mainly frozen wasteland so most of the 37 million people gather on the border never venturing out into the icebox they call a country. More commonly known as Americas little brother, Canaukistan or "this is not Michigan!" Canada boasts a really poor armed forces in comparison to their US superiors. The Canadian military currently have 500000 beavers with ground to air acorns and 40000 polar bears that have been trained to hibernate so if Canada gets wiped out they can repopulate the country with beaver-bears trained in the art of looking cuddly!
Canadian civilians though are no pushover and along with the Canadian Army have numerous victories over the BEAST known as the baby seal. They alone have killed half the worlds population of baby seals so that in itself means invading Canada would mean an extra hour on top of the three i originally proposed.

What a stupid topic. America is not going to Invade Canada. What are you seeking Mr OP? Some sort of validation. I just gave it!!

If they want something from Canada they do what they normally do and demand it or they will stop all trade with Canada. Canada then backs down and hands over said goods!

I replied to the very Question asked.

[edit on 14-8-2010 by sassyncute]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Also im no history buff but has the full might of the US military ever been used? By that I mean orders to kill anything that moves with all tools and weapons necessary. Kids, women everything.

If the US was not worried about collateral damage and used every weapon it had how could Canada stop the US?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

GSP Would if Lesnard parents wouldn't of feed him on raw bull meant and and radioactive wastes

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Have you read this thread yet? It's fitting for the post you have made.

This is like asking if an adult could beat up their child. Sure they could, and the kid could possibly bite them or scratch them but its not much of a fair fight. The real question, why would an adult beat their child if they are a good kid and maybe even have a job to help pay for stuff around the house.

Obviously this was written by an American with little understanding of what it's really like in Canada.

Although America could "invade" Canada, The USA could never hold it for 3 reasons. And by "invade" I refer to show up, not really the same as "invading" someplace like...Poland.

1) The distances between resupply is so vast even your forces would be drawn way to thin to be effective. Not to mention the 8 months of winter in the prairies would make any attempt extremely difficult.

2) Canada is a nuclear power, and does have the ability to mobilize. Our regular forces are some of the best trained in the world, comparable to the special forces in the USA. Our elite are, well.. not to be messed with..

3) We have a standing agreement that if we were invaded by the USA, Russia would come to our aid. We have a similar agreement with the USA if Russia invades. Of the two, I'd be more concerned about Russia invading, they are more likely prepared for such a task.

This is actually a good question to be posed, as America seems to think that everyone will simply bow down. I would sorely like to see Canada shut off the fresh water supply for a few weeks. Might teach some much needed humility.

..Ex

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
There will never be a war between Canada and the US. The two nations' business and political elites will merely meld into one big oligarchy through business interconnectivity and so forth, and combine forces to slow-bleed the wealth out of the peons in their own nations.

Oh wait, that already happened. Like forty years ago at least.

Well, the bleed has been slow but now with both countries thouroughly schooled in borderless-cross-cultural-PC B.S., we can get really down to work. Like building that superhighighway up from Mexico through the US clear up into the heart of Canada. It will be great for shunting down-and-out US and Mexcian workers up north to drive down Canadian labor costs and loot the Canadian middle class all the more quickly. Kind of like what's been happeneing to the US over the past 10 or 20 years. Oh, and have you forgeten our old friend the Amero? I assure you TBTB have not yet forgotten, although they couldn't roll it out as quickly as they would have liked to yet.

See how that works?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Here are some basic stats for military might!!

US V Canada

After reading this my last post actually gave Canada a very very very small chance. Now more than ever I realize they have no chance. Must correct that!!!

In my opinion and by no means should the US military listen but as Canada has only two seasons Winter and construction I would leave it till construction to invade. Construction season is where canada truns into a haven of dirt and dust as road crews start digging up the same piece of road as the year before. Canada is one of the only few Countries to have Women as the major part of the Construction Force. In return the men in Canada walk small dogs and do the dishes.

[edit on 14-8-2010 by sassyncute]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Canada is part of the British commonwealth, and America is Britains best buddy, so we would have to send in the SAS to bang ye heads together and make you sit in a corner till you both apologised and wrote 1000 lines saying "I will not theoretically invaded my neighbouring country based on the idea of a silly thread on the above top secret website", then you will be given 3 months detention after class and forced to play musical chairs.
oh and before anyone gets on their high horse, all that was light hearted humor

I seriously, seriously doubt that any of the english speaking countries will ever go to war with each other again (not anytime in the near future anyway).

A lot of you may not believe it, but I think we are beyond that sort of nonesense.

[sarcasm]We, english just like to invade middle eastern countries for not following our ways and giving us our fair share of the oil.[/sarcasm]

[edit on 14/8/10 by woogleuk]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Maybe the US should invade Canada. I think many Americans would benefit from an invasion. I know it would benefit myself personally.

I would be able to get my beaver pelts quicker, and a lot cheaper too.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Hypothetically speaking, yes America could invade and take over Canada.
Would it be easy? No, especially if keeping civilian deaths to a minimum was part of the plan. But why on earth would the USA ever want to do that?

So yes, in the end you guys wouldn't stand a chance in an all out invasion. But I don't think that is something you would ever have to worry about unless your government goes banannas.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join