It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State Rankings: Unemployment Rates for States

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by murfdog
Just my opinion. I could be completely wrong, but it looks like the more liberal the state the higher the unemployment rate.
Some one with more time than me should look into that.
Great find, thanks for the post …s&f

I dunno about that.

Kentucky is a pretty conservative state.

These numbers are only counting those drawing unemployment anyway. People like me who never qualified were never counted at all.

I don't really think that these numbers really paint a decent picture of how many people cannot find jobs. Most of the people I know around here have lost their jobs and have been looking for an extended period of time. I actually know more people who are unemployed than those who still have jobs.

Meijers had open interviews months ago for 222 positions and an estimated 10,000 people showed up hoping to find work. That's how bad it is around here.

I just thought of something, too. Conservatives are more likely to want to end unemployment extensions. So the conservative states aren't necessarily doing any better. It just may mean more people were cut off of unemployment in those states. It doesn't measure how many people don't have jobs.

[edit on 8/14/2010 by Jessicamsa]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Excerpts:

Where do the statistics come from?

Some people think that to get these figures on unemployment, the Government uses the number of persons filing claims for unemployment insurance (UI) benefits under State or Federal Government programs. But some people are still jobless when their benefits run out, and many more are not eligible at all or delay or never apply for benefits. So, quite clearly, UI information cannot be used as a source for complete information on the number of unemployed.

Other people think that the Government counts every unemployed person each month. To do this, every home in the country would have to be contacted—just as in the population census every 10 years. This procedure would cost way too much and take far too long. Besides, people would soon grow tired of having a census taker come to their homes every month, year after year, to ask about job-related activities.

Because unemployment insurance records relate only to persons who have applied for such benefits, and since it is impractical to actually count every unemployed person each month, the Government conducts a monthly sample survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure the extent of unemployment in the country. The CPS has been conducted in the United States every month since 1940, when it began as a Work Projects Administration project. It has been expanded and modified several times since then. For instance, beginning in 1994, the CPS estimates reflect the results of a major redesign of the survey. (For more information on the CPS redesign, see Chapter 1, "Labor Force Data Derived from the Current Population Survey," in the BLS Handbook of Methods.)

There are about 60,000 households in the sample for this survey. This translates into approximately 110,000 individuals, a large sample compared to public opinion surveys which usually cover fewer than 2,000 people. The CPS sample is selected so as to be representative of the entire population of the United States. In order to select the sample, all of the counties and county-equivalent cities in the country first are grouped into 2,025 geographic areas (sampling units). The Census Bureau then designs and selects a sample consisting of 824 of these geographic areas to represent each State and the District of Columbia. The sample is a State-based design and reflects urban and rural areas, different types of industrial and farming areas, and the major geographic divisions of each State. (For a detailed explanation of CPS sampling methodology, see Chapter 1, of the BLS Handbook of Methods.)

Every month, one-fourth of the households in the sample are changed, so that no household is interviewed more than 4 consecutive months. This practice avoids placing too heavy a burden on the households selected for the sample. After a household is interviewed for 4 consecutive months, it leaves the sample for 8 months, and then is again interviewed for the same 4 calendar months a year later, before leaving the sample for good. This procedure results in approximately 75 percent of the sample remaining the same from month to month and 50 percent from year to year.

Each month, 2,200 highly trained and experienced Census Bureau employees interview persons in the 60,000 sample households for information on the labor force activities (jobholding and jobseeking) or non-labor force status of the members of these households during the survey reference week (usually the week that includes the 12th of the month). At the time of the first enumeration of a household, the interviewer prepares a roster of the household members, including their personal characteristics (date of birth, sex, race, Hispanic ethnicity, marital status, educational attainment, veteran status, and so on) and their relationships to the person maintaining the household. This information, relating to all household members 15 years of age and over, is entered by the interviewers into laptop computers; at the end of each day's interviewing, the data collected are transmitted to the Census Bureau's central computer in Washington, D.C. (The labor force measures in the CPS pertain to individuals 16 years and over.) In addition, a portion of the sample is interviewed by phone through three central data collection facilities. (Prior to 1994, the interviews were conducted using a paper questionnaire that had to be mailed in by the interviewers each month.)

Who is counted as unemployed?

Persons are classified as unemployed if they do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work. Actively looking for work may consist of any of the following activities:

* Contacting:
o An employer directly or having a job interview
o A public or private employment agency
o Friends or relatives
o A school or university employment center
* Sending out resumes or filling out applications
* Placing or answering advertisements
* Checking union or professional registers
* Some other means of active job search

Passive methods of job search do not have the potential to result in a job offer and therefore do not qualify as active job search methods. Examples of passive methods include attending a job training program or course, or merely reading about job openings that are posted in newspapers or on the Internet.

Workers expecting to be recalled from temporary layoff are counted as unemployed, whether or not they have engaged in a specific jobseeking activity. In all other cases, the individual must have been engaged in at least one active job search activity in the 4 weeks preceding the interview and be available for work (except for temporary illness).

Source

I especially like this part: Each month, 2,200 highly trained and experienced Census Bureau employees interview persons in the 60,000 sample households for information on the labor force activities (jobholding and jobseeking) or non-labor force status of the members of these households during the survey reference week (usually the week that includes the 12th of the month).

[edit on 14-8-2010 by bputman]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

As bad as this situation is in Georgia I find myself suddenly very glad that I don't live in Nevada! Over 14%? Man oh man.

Makes you wonder if prostitutes can apply for unemployment?
second line

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Most believe you are right. The numbers don’t tell the whole story. They don’t count people who receive a 1099 instead of a w2. Most people in the trades are subcontractors even though they may work for the same construction company all year. The guys receiving 1099s are self employed therefore are ineligible to receive unemployment benefits.
Just to let those who don’t know, self employed subcontractors pay twice the social security rate (15%) of regular employed (7.5%) and have to match the social security of any employees they may have on there books.
But when times get tough they are left to fend for themselves.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join