It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard Scientists Speed Up Evolution, Aim To Sell Technology to DuPont

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Harvard Scientists Speed Up Evolution, Aim To Sell Technology to DuPont

www.bloomberg.com

Evolution often plays out over millennia. George Church says he can make it happen in days.

He and his team of researchers at Harvard Medical School in Boston invented a table-top machine that can generate multiple changes in the DNA of bacteria all at once, speeding up the evolutionary process.

The technology, known as multiplex automated genetic engineering, or MAGE, was created by Church

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
This is an area where the government has no hope in keeping up with science and bad things are likley to happen as a result. There are liscenced processes which are to be used in the creation of thousands of commercial products, yet there does not appear to be any serious effort underway to formulate protocols on how these genetically engineered products are made.

What safeguards are to be put in place to govern the technology which clearly has the potential to be of greater harm than that which is used to develope nuclear weapons? I would much rather have some rogue nation working on developing nukes than have one of these table-top gene manipulators in a bunker somewhere manufacturing germs for which there is no effective treatment.

I don't believe this is technology that should be allowed to be sold commercially absent very serious safeguards and not exclusively American designed and implemented safeguards.

The inventors should be paid for their work and paid well. Dupont nor any other piece of the pharma or chemical industrys should ever have exclusive rights to something like this.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Hmmm, Didn’t I read on ATS not long ago about a antibiotic resistant super bug?
Makes one think.

-Al

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

“This is going to change the way we think about manipulating biology,”

Wow, talk about a Pandora's box! Thousands of mutations in only days?
I thought GMO's were the main thing to be concerned with and now they can take that to a whole new level. Don't worry, you know Dow has our best interests at heart and profit won't ever come before people.

I would like to focus on just the positive benefits, but with such technology, who knows the what kind of lifeforms will be created.

spec

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I believe this is one of the various reasons why in the future they want the implementation of a worldwide police state.

As technology, ever evolving in leaps and bounds, starts presenting the potential for one person, or a small group, to inflict massive devastation on a global scale, they will want the ability to know exactly what every subject of theirs is up to, and the ability to terminate the actions of said subject, or the subject altogether, if they deem necessary.

Not defending his actions in any way, one really should take into account the point Ted Kaczynski makes in his manifesto, Industrial Society and Its Future.

The momentum of the snowball rolling down the hill that we call technology is increasing at a frighteningly exponential rate.

[edit on 13-8-2010 by susp3kt]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Seriously, a machine called MAGE that amost magically transforms one creature into another and this magical MAGE machine was created by a guy named CHURCH?

Oy, thank god it is Friday.

[edit on 8-13-2010 by rogerstigers]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Hmm if it can speed up evolution, I wonder if it could de-evolve something as well. Jeez this sounds like a comic book. We could make the first super hero!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
Seriously, a machine called MAGE that amost magically transforms one creature into another and this magical MAGE machine was created by a guy named CHURCH?

Oy, thank god it is Friday.

[edit on 8-13-2010 by rogerstigers]

Friday the 13th to be exact, hah.

I do find it to be a very odd 'coincidence' as well. It was actually my first impressions lol.

And a reply to CaptGizmo's post:

Hmm if it can speed up evolution, I wonder if it could de-evolve something as well. Jeez this sounds like a comic book. We could make the first super hero!!!

Or the first super villain !?

And I agree with speculativeoptimist's characterization of this technology as "Pandora's Box". That is quite fitting and you said exactly what I was thinking.

And to think, this is just the tip of the iceberg of the types of technology that will be appearing all around us in the coming years. To say I am concerned is an understatement.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Or the first super retard.

But seriously. All they need to do to create a super bug is add the usual drugs that kill it, and select the mutated ones that don't die. And repeat this process a thousand times.

You would get a super, super bug in no time.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

Please stop scaring me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second line.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Wow, just wow. In my mind that is up there in the "scary" category with the LHC and GM foods (modified plants and animals). S&F for the find OP!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
They should have called it XMEN.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Anyone see yesterday's Futurama?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Wow the potential for this is amazing, waterproof cotton
- I wonder if this can be expanded into the stimulation of cell growth, a limb that would normally take months to heal could be healed in days!

Hmm i'd like to think this means cheaper drugs for everyone, as this would dramatically speed up the drug production process, but knowing pharmacutical companies the prices if anything will go up

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
(quote) What is genesis Jim? (Jim Kirk)They take a lifeless planet and using the genesis wave transform it to sustain life Mcoy.
(spock) Life from lifeless Doctor
(McCoy) Myth has it God took 7 days to create life ,Look out here comes George Church hel do it in an hour.
(McCoy) Its candy coated Armageddon Jim
(this quote relates in the seance that the genesis project was designed to speed up Evolution as well . Thank you for your time.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I guess this is the 'New' evolution....... Charles Darwin will be replaced by a machine that changes and modifies things genetically...!!!

I wonder if humans will be able to keep up with evolution or have we just created the means for our own destruction here in the longer term.......?

I remember at school my biologist said that Lichen was good at adapting to most conditions but over time as it developed it would then create the conditions for other fungus and organisms to grow from it thus causing it's own destruction........ Sounds similar i think

Humanity = lichen

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

[edit on 13-8-2010 by PurpleDog UK]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I honestly don't know what to think about this machine.

On one hand it seems like a wonderful research tool. On the other hand we don't want corporations to get exclusive control on that capability, nor the government. I think that kind of research should stay in academics hands. But academics are more and more tied to military funding for research... Maybe we should give the technology to some kind of hobo... no harm there

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I love how everyone automatically assumes doom and gloom and nothing good will come of this... Just like research into nuclear fission and fusion has produced nothing good, or robotics, or genetic engineering, or in-vitro fertilization...

Luddites are amazingly good at panicking...

Carry on with the panic! Gonna get my popcorn and watch the show! *munch munch*

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
This is going to end up bad, if any of the bad bugs they create escape, plus this is stupid they worry about the mutations, and now these dopes are going to speed up the process.
And this is the smart people I wonder what the, really dumb smart people are doing.

[edit on 13-8-2010 by googolplex]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Cool Tool!

Will be used by TPTB - as usual - to concentrate control and crush all that oppose them.

Eventually tools like this will find their own brand of "script kiddies" - and if things haven't hit the fan before then in a purposefull release of a pathogen - then very likely one of these type will do so accidentally while "just messing around".

Unless people wake up and stop elected sociopaths who are more than willing to KILL THEM!

(for a percentage)

<<   2 >>

join