It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do google and verizon get to change the internet as a whole?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
i see a lot of posts about the net neutrality issue, but my specific question is why do google and verizon get to make decisions about this in the first place? verizon only provides internet service to some, and google is just a search engine. why do they suddenly own the internet? i mentioned in another thread that the situation is kind of like popeyes and kfc getting together and deciding it is illegal to sell any kind of chicken other than fried chicken. obviously kfc and popeyes didn't invent or own the chicken, and google or verizon didn't invent the internet, so how can they even make changes to it? i just don't seem to be understanding this issue so please explain it to me thanks

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Theyre both spy agency fronts. It is suspected that on 9-11 verizon was part of the cell phone call fraud (cell phones wouldn't work in airplanes at that time-maybe they did somehow work, but at the time there was no wireless antennas on airplanes) In the bible the prince of the air in the end days deceives the world, the modern tv ads for verizon say something like (Own/rule the Air). Google is also masonic or freemasonic, two blue Gg's.

These are speculative but im very suspect of these companies, they dont support freedom of speech, or rational thinking. Its all about spearheading the new american dictatorship over your thoughts.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
they want to make the internet a place where they can control everything

thats basically it

why? because thats what the governments want, they want to remain in power, and the internet is the only place where they cant do anything about it, for now

[edit on 13/8/10 by Faiol]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
i see where everyone is coming from with this, but my question to you is this.. what makes you think our communications aren't monitored anyway? i don't think the internet, cellphones, or much of anything other than face to face communications are secure anymore. the patriot act made sure of that, but i'm sure they probably spied on us before 9/11.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
nevermind

[edit on 8/13/2010 by abecedarian]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 2weird2live2rare2die

Because they toss massive amounts of cash at politicians and bend to the whim of the government, siding against the interests of their customers and with the government on most issues.

What is happening with the internet is outrageous and by definition corrupt and it all comes down to a basic fact.

Transaction based activity has the greatest long-term potential to generate profit. Never in human history has something created a global infrastructure than generates billions of transactions, when you define a transaction as accessing a page on the internet as the world wide web has. Nothing has ever been close. Firms such as Google want the cash and the power. The government wants tax revenue from the activity as well as insight into the behavior of people, both are forming a corrupt marriage whereby they will facilitate each others objectives.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die
... but my question to you is this.. what makes you think our communications aren't monitored anyway?

On my lunch break I saw the news conference about catching that guy who stabbed like 18 people. The cop giving the conference said "we tracked him by electronic means and I can't get any more specific than that."

Creepy as hell.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

i see where everyone is coming from with this, but my question to you is this.. what makes you think our communications aren't monitored anyway? i don't think the internet, cellphones, or much of anything other than face to face communications are secure anymore. the patriot act made sure of that, but i'm sure they probably spied on us before 9/11.

They have spied on us since the late 60's- to mid 70's. Somewhere in there.

I am talking like parking vans on the street full of sophisticated listening equipment and just basically spying on anyone.

I first found out about this information from my 11th grade Political Science teacher whom had a long military career. During Vietnam he was intel on one of those huge airplanes with radars etc.

He pretty much talked about it openly (spying on Americans in the USA from a spy-van) in the classroom like it was no big deal. He said this about it "However we found No Communists so it was a waste of time". Hah.

[edit on 13-8-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Sorry for not really answering but I will ask a question.

What do you mean by "change the internet"?

I am probably missing something (specially seeing that nobody asked this), so I would like to know more about this.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

i see a lot of posts about the net neutrality issue, but my specific question is why do google and verizon get to make decisions about this in the first place? verizon only provides internet service to some,

You're kidding, right? Verizon owns a significant portion of backhaul: the phone and data circuits fiber and copper, terrestrial microwave and satellite links as well. Do some searching on GTE, BellSouth, BellAtlantic, Sprint, MCI/WorldCom, UUNet and you'll get what I mean... and that's just in the USA. In addition, they're the largest cell carrier in the USA and as such have a rather large user base that some content providers would love to exploit.

Having said that:
From Google itself: Ver izon-Google Legislative Framework.

Consumer Protections: A broadband Internet access service provider would be prohibited from preventing users of its broadband Internet access service from--
(1) sending and receiving lawful content of their choice;
(2) running lawful applications and using lawful services of their choice; and
(3) connecting their choice of legal devices that do not harm the network or
service, facilitate theft of service, or harm other users of the service.

and

Additional Online Services: A provider that offers a broadband Internet access service complying with the above principles could offer any other additional or differentiated services. Such other services would have to be distinguishable in scope and purpose from broadband Internet access service, but could make use of or access Internet content, applications or services and could include traffic prioritization. The FCC would publish an annual report on the effect of these additional services, and immediately report if it finds at any time that these services threaten the meaningful availability of broadband Internet access services or have been devised or promoted in a manner designed to evade these consumer protections.

So they want to keep general neutrality but are also looking for ways to make some money off the 'net, which might mean having to prioritize some traffic over others however their own statements reflect that they don't want to adversely impact any other traffic. And they're willing to give the FCC oversight as well.

[edit on 8/13/2010 by abecedarian]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Allowing for the above arguments which deal with differing aspects of this issue, the bottom line over "control" is a simple question to answer. It is because these are both publically traded companies that are in business to make a profit.

BTW - Love the H.S. Thompson / Fear and Loathing reference!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

They don't .. they change the Internet on a Verizon phone (which Google only had a say because they supply the Android phones to Verizon)

Don't like it?

boycott Verizon (which I have for quite some time because of their ridiculous charges)

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
verizon isn't very popular here i suppose it could be different in other places though. there is a company that mostly has a monopoly in this area but then again all it takes is for them to sell out and we're screwed.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
This is all a distraction look up ACTA. This is what you should be focusing on. It will ruin the internet.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
They're only looking for the worst things in civilization right now...

Once they get those under control, if they ever do, will they look for the next worst thing in civilization...

Right now the worst thing to governments is probably terrorism. So, if terrorism ever goes away, they'll look for the next worst thing.

What is that?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

i gotta say... walmart? all of their crappy products are made in china, that's why they are so cheap and almost everyone shops there which isn't good because every cent you spend except for the employees wages leave your community, and the people who work there probably spend their money there since they get discount, so basically every walmart is a big black hole for you to shove your money down and trust me your community or probably even state will never see it again.

top topics

join