It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheists Nightmare?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Met one the other day. He's not very convincing.

I discussed with him the following....

"Lets assume you are right and there is no God and I die. What do I miss out on? The ability to be really bad and kill, murder, rob and rape because their are no consequences afterward? No, my life stays the same with the same morals intact. Therefore I miss out on nothing yet I have a good life!................................................ But what if you are wrong, and there is God?"

Can anyone tell me what a person believing in God actually misses out (that actually benefits people) in this life if God did not exist?

And what if as an Atheist, you died and found that God did exist and can see what life would be like for eternity removed from him, would you want to come back and tell others you were wrong or just let them find out like you did?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

The ability to be really bad and kill, murder, rob and rape because their are no consequences afterward?

where do you live ? what about rule of law and punishment ?
"no consequences" ? ever heard of death-penalty ?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
For the record - I am an Agnostic - not an Atheist. But if I may:

I know MANY Atheists. They seem to have just as much morals - if not MORE, than the religious.

So yeah, I know some really good people that are Atheists.

Edit to add - and there are many different types of Atheists. One of my friends is an Agnostic-Atheist. He believes in a creator, but not an afterlife.

So now, may I ask - do you think it's ok to believe in A god - even if it isn't yours? Just humor me with an answer to that slightly off topic question and I'll be on my way.

[edit on 8/12/2010 by impaired]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
There is already another pointless 'atheists are stupid' thread with

THIS EXACT SAME TITLE

here

ATS has more than enough of these threads let alone with the same title.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Is this another Atheist thread.

Started by a God believer?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

If you would run about on a murder and rape rampage simply because there is no God or afterlife i would seriously question your mental stability. And for the record i am an atheist, i will also add that the idea of any sort of afterlife is repugnant to me.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

Way to mooch off Randy...

Therefore I miss out on nothing yet I have a good life!

The opportunity to make decisions based upon rationale rather than faith...to be free of a fallacy that never really lived up to it's ambitions - unless raping the general population of it's money and time counts.

To look at things in an unbiased manner; to find truth in logic as opposed to the 'hidden' messages created for a fable....

But, please continue to be you...the idea of you coming to your senses and joing my DNA pool scares me.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Dont worry Annee,
When the time comes and all you athiests
realise you have been deceived, because our lord is a merciful
god you will still get a chance to repent. YOU WISH!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

well said. If I were a devout believer, I would have spent my entire life without having once tasting the sweet sweet juice of intellectual freedom. That is HORRIFYING to me.

In fact, the only nightmare an atheist would have, is somehow losing his/her ability to think critically about the world, and devolve into a creature that relies on forces outside of him/herself for self-validation/affirmation.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by lestweforget
reply to post by Annee

Dont worry Annee,

Whatever floats you boat.

Or Sinks it.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I've not met one religious person who has convinced me that there is a god either.

I really don't understand how anyone can know something to be true based on a belief.

It would seem that if there is a god and we are meant to follow scripture, which ever one that may be, then god favours the stupid and gulliable.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Tykonos]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by lestweforget
reply to post by Annee

Dont worry Annee,

Do you realise how insane that sounds?

Wher is your proof of this? Oh, sorry you don't need to prove such a thing. we should all just believe what you say.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Which God?......The Christian God?

Did you know that your Christian God is the same God that Muslims believe in?
Just different prophets/saviors.
Oh, and the Jewish as well. The Old Testament God is the same as the new
Gospel God.

Anyway, I'll tell you what I'll do. I will denounce this hateful God for not
providing me anything more than hand-me-down tales of walking on water
as evidence of his existence. And for expecting to me to cast aside my
logic, reason, and intelligence (which he provided) and have faith in a book
authored by men, translated and retranslated, handed down though
generations, altered, amended, compiled, and abridged by men, without
EVER providing me one scintilla of clear evidence that he actually exists.

I'll tell you what I'll do....I will go and have a nice chat with Ghandi
and Samuel Clemens and Douglas Adams and a few of the other infidels I
find interesting. we'll sit around and say things like....

"Pass the marshmallows....just kidding!"

"Hey....got a light?"

"Is it hot in here to you?"

And we'll have a good laugh while we admire the conflagration.

edit to add more fun...

[edit on 12-8-2010 by rival]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Well, think about it for a second. Every time you spend time on a religious task or thought, I use that time to LIVE and be more productive.

If you're a good Christian, you spend what, 1-3hrs/week in church on Sundays, additional time praying, and probably some time in religious groups/meetings. That's A LOT of time if you add it up over a lifetime!! Let's just say you spend 3hrs per week going to church, praying, or doing other religious things. If you live to the age of 80, you'll spend 520 24hr days!!! That's an additional 1.4 YEARS (!!!) I get to spend on other, probably more useful things like spending time with family, working, making $$$, working for charity, helping out friends, and so on.

I don't rape, murder, or kill just because I'm an atheist. Morals don't come from religion, they are imposed by society and change over time as the population progresses and expands its knowledge.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Christians have this idea that not believing in god makes you an athiest. I believe in the soul, but not in a book written by men. You place your beliefs in a daydream and things like the government going psycho skips over your head because you only care about death lol. What about life? The most precious of 'God's' gift. Quit wasting your time praising death and make the world better.

know how you have faith in an afterlife? I have faith in the human race, and what we are capable. You love god? I love my friends and family. You believe jesus will forgive your murders if you ask and you will go to heaven. Well I believe in karma, in mental and universal balance, you have to pay the toll in this world or the next.

Oh right theres the what if I'm wrong thing too... Do you really think that if Heaven and Santa Clause were real that only a small few of people that are in whatever cult or sect you are in are right you can go to heaven, and everyone else in the entire world, murderer or Mother Theresa are going to go to hell? It just makes more sense to me personally, that the only safe way to make it beyond is to live your life 'good', unless of course you- personally wish to kill and rob others and need to be 'God fearing' to not do that...

Have death lovers ever heard of "Empathy"? Its a human emotion. How am I still good person? I feel love and compassion and I know when others feel it too. I act according to my moral code- progress. Progress of my knowledge, capacity for love and understanding, my physical self and my financial self. You people are so caught up in what would jesus do? what would moses do? what would muhammad do? - Have a heart-attack when they found out we went to the moon and no one was there.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

I feel very confident in saying that more people have been killed/robbed/raped in the name of god, than by people who have no fear of consequences in an afterlife.

Think how many wars over religion and who's god is right there have been throughout history.

I watched with glee
While your kings and queens
Fought for ten decades
For the Gods they made

I shouted out
"Who killed the Kennedy's?"
When after all
It was you and me

Mick and Keith weren't talking about the christian devil. They were talking about the atrocities of mankind and the hypocrisy of religions.

If there is a god, one who takes an active role in peoples lives like most all of the major religions believe, then we have all already died. This here is the afterlife and we are in hell.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

I believe there is some sort of famous dilemma that goes about saying the same thing. Glad to see people talking about atheists with good values.

However, I would like to point out that I have been around atheists with terrible values quite a lot, too.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
reply to post by daggyz

I believe there is some sort of famous dilemma that goes about saying the same thing. Glad to see people talking about atheists with good values.

However, I would like to point out that I have been around atheists with terrible values quite a lot, too.

Honestly - in person - I have never had anyone volunteer to me they are Atheist.

How do you people meet all these Atheists - and then judge them by their values?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
As a Christian I agree.

What have we got to loose? Nothing..what have non'believers got to loose...everything.

Being a "good" Christian will not get you to heaven.

It's only by putting your trust in Jesus Christ and realizing HE died on the
cross to satisfy the payment for our sins which is death... eternal death.

there is No other name under heaven by which man can be saved.

Allah is a false god as is Buddha.

You don't like it... sorry tell God when you stand before Him at the judgement seat.

If there is a moral law then there must be a moral law giver. GOD
No one can convince anyone there is a God.

If I can talk anyone into believing in God then someone else can talk you out of believing in the same God.

If God wants your attention He WILL GET IT.

Deeds won't get you to heaven any more then if Bill Gates tried to buy his way in to heaven.

God has standards and if WE don't meet them then we ...as in all are already condemned.

What do you have to do to go to hell... nothing... mankind is rebellious by nature... we have to have our nature changed, and this is only done through Christ's work on the cross.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ccsct203
As a Christian I agree.

What have we got to loose? Nothing..what have non'believers got to loose...everything.

Being a "good" Christian will not get you to heaven.

It's only by putting your trust in Jesus Christ and realizing HE died on the
cross to satisfy the payment for our sins which is death... eternal death.

This is something you have been taught by man.

It does not really make any sense.

****** I was brought up Christian - which gives me the right to have an opinion on Christianity.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join