It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquakes AFTER a volcaniic eruption

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I'm more into earthquakes than lava but ................
I was just reading this article on geology.com about Novarupta volcano eruption in Alaska in 1912.
The largest eruption of material in the 20th century.

Novarupta
What caught my interest is that they say the eruption finished on the 9th July.
There were 3 very strong 7+ quakes within 100miles after that date over the next 5 months, the first four days later according to ANSS.

150km ( 83 miles) to the NE at the end of the volcano chain and the entrance to Cook Inlet
Date/Time: 1912/6/10 16:6:6
Lat: 59 Long: -153
7.0ML

84km (51 miles) in Shelikof Strait
Date/Time: 1912/11/7 7:40:
Lat: 57.5 Long: -155
7.3mb

108km ( 67miles) SSE on Kodiak Island
Date/Time: 1912/12/5 12:27:36
Lat: 57.5 Long: -154
7.0ML

I don't know if I just haven't noticed this before, wasn't paying attention? or is this a common occurance to have big quakes after a big eruption?. I know that quakes do preceed most eruptions, in many cases Mag 7+ size.

My thoughts are that perhaps because so much volume of magma was withdrawn from the earth during that eruption that these quakes are perhaps related to the change / re-structure of the crust to compensate for the big hole left behind.

I could be oversimplifying it. It may be quite common.

Any ideas

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I am not a geologist, but your hypothesis, seems sound to me. It stands to reason that after the removal / relocation of so much magma and gas, that the ground would settle, and that movement would cause earthquakes of a larger size. IMO. I have thought this for a long time myself and
for posting it.

S&F

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
30 cu km is a huge amount of 'space' left behind. I have no doubt there would have been some considerable 'settling' after that.

Nice find. I had never heard of it.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Well earthquakes and volcano's are both related things. Both occur more frequently along the ring of fire, and both are caused by tectonic activity. Its not unsual for seismic activity to be present, before, during and after a volcanic event.

join