It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Silenced for Singing Anthem at Lincoln Memorial

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This is way over the top.

A student group starts an impromptu singing of the U.S. national anthem at the Lincoln Memorial and a park policeman tells them they have to stop?

This could be THE poster thread for the U.S. Political Madness forum.

Maybe it really is all over for this country ...

source

In 1939, the Daughters of the American Revolution refused to let Marian Anderson perform before an integrated audience at Constitution Hall. The Board of Education of the then-segregated District also refused to let her perform in the auditorium of a white public high school. So Anderson turned to a symbol of freedom: the Lincoln Memorial.
That April, Anderson held an open-air concert on the steps of the monument to the end of slavery and the ideals of the Republic. Stepping up before a racially mixed audience of more than 75,000, Anderson began with "My Country, ‘Tis of Thee."
Two months ago, at the same memorial, a group of students were confronted by a security guard for singing the national anthem.
The students, members of the conservative Young America’s Foundation, were told by U.S. Park Police that they were "were in violation of federal law and their impromptu performance constituted a demonstration in an area that must remain 'completely content neutral,'" reports FoxNews.com.
"The area they were standing in and singing is an area that is restricted for this type of activity," said Sgt. David Schlosser. "The United States Park Police is absolutely content-neutral when it comes to any sort of demonstrations in these areas."

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
www.wnd.com...

Coupled with stories like this,that if you say "Trust God" or "God Bless" it can sometimes get you fired,yeah,it's madness. And it's exactly the way they break down the values this country stood for,(maybe not the government,but the People!),and the NWO takes over. No national pride,no mention of God,...it might be "divisive" and someone might feel "left out"!

From what we know about the goals of the U.N. and the globalists,none of this should come as a surprise anymore.

But very,very sad,in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
this adds to the timing of a sept 8 pre-trib rapture...someone get me the badge number of that officer...i wish to file a formal complaint

this year or next for the rapture!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

how much you wanna bet if the song was about how great mr obama was they wouldnt have done nothing.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by neo96]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
From the article

"The area they were standing in and singing is an area that is restricted for this type of activity," said Sgt. David Schlosser. "The United States Park Police is absolutely content-neutral when it comes to any sort of demonstrations in these areas."

Perhaps had they just followed the rules and moved to an area where it would have been ok for a group to sing, there would not have been a problem?

Comments found on another article:

Funny how the article calls them a “group of high school students” when in fact they were actually members of the Young America’s Foundation and were attending their annual conference in D.C. The group has a long tradition of activism of this sort according to their wikipedia entry

According to sources other than the Daily Caller and Fox News, like the AP, it is noted that demonstrations of any kind, liberal, conservative or otherwise, are not allowed at any federal monument without a proper permit. The singing was stopped because they were in violation of the law, not because they were singing the national anthem. I’m sure this group was aware of this and chose to proceed knowing that it would end up on the Daily Caller and Fox News, both of whom failed to provide the full details about the group and their history.

Source

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Adevoc Satanae]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adevoc Satanae
From the article

Perhaps had they just followed the rules and moved to an area where it would have been ok for a group to sing, there would not have been a problem?

But how is singing the national anthem in or near a national monument not "content-neutral"?

Is this so as to not "offend" some foreign visitors? And if so, why should we care?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
But how is singing the national anthem in or near a national monument not "content-neutral"?

How is it not "demonstrating?" Luckily that was not for me to decide now was it?

Is this so as to not "offend" some foreign visitors? And if so, why should we care?

Strawman. How can you decide what is wrong with the reason when you just made up what the reason was? As far as offending foreign visitors, I can think of a few reasons like Chinese money, Mid-East oil, global trade, military allies, et cetera, et cetera, et...

...cetera.

That is not really the point. The point is you posted this Faux news article that is supposedly about a bunch of school kids who were told not to sing the national anthem when in reality it was a group of political activists with a known history of activism demonstrating in an area where they knew they were specifically prohibited from doing.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

How is it not "demonstrating?" Luckily that was not for me to decide now was it?

Strawman. How can you decide what is wrong with the reason when you just made up what the reason was? As far as offending foreign visitors, I can think of a few reasons like Chinese money, Mid-East oil, global trade, military allies, et cetera, et cetera, et...

...cetera.

That is not really the point. The point is you posted this Faux news article that is supposedly about a bunch of school kids who were told not to sing the national anthem when in reality it was a group of political activists with a known history of activism demonstrating in an area where they knew they were specifically prohibited from doing.

So children merely singing a song is now considered demonstrating? I gather a group of children singing Jingle Bell Rock come Christmas time will also warrant the same heavy handed response?

Can you provide a link to corroborate your assertion that this group of children are known political activists with a history of activism demonstrating in an area where they are specifically prohibited from doing so?

Can you enlighten me regarding how an area on US soil is a prohibited area for allowing individuals to speak/sing freely when my copy of the Constitution for these united states of America would indicate otherwise?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

That is not really the point. The point is you posted this Faux news article

Now who can't read?

The source was an NBC News website ...

The rest of your post(s) are nothing more than your more of you usual hijack/deflection attempts, and so deserve no response.

[edit on 8/12/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem
So children merely singing a song is now considered demonstrating?

No. A group of political activists breaking known rules by singing as a group where they are not permitted is demonstrating.

I gather a group of children singing Jingle Bell Rock come Christmas time will also warrant the same heavy handed response?

What kind of campus action team do those children have? Just curious. Do you gather them in places that have rules about groups...gathering?

Can you provide a link to corroborate your assertion that this group of children are known political activists with a history of activism demonstrating in an area where they are specifically prohibited from doing so?

You mean something like their homepage?
Here is a sample :

Campus Initiatives and Activism

Young America's Foundation provides conservative students with the necessary information, tools, and resources to effectively advance conservative ideas on their college on high school campus.

The Campus Conservative Battleplan provides specific activism ideas you can organize each month of the school year including how to:

I hope that is helpful. Anything else I can google for you?

Can you enlighten me regarding how an area on US soil is a prohibited area for allowing individuals to speak/sing freely when my copy of the Constitution for these united states of America would indicate otherwise?

No, I cannot. I did not make the rules. I just read them.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Now who can't read?

Still you. I never mentioned WMDs in the other thread like you claimed I did and your own article says

reports FoxNews.com.

The source was an NBC News website ...

Which reprinted a FOX story as stated in the article, if you read it.

The rest of your post(s) are nothing more than your more of you usual hijack/deflection attempts, and so deserve no response.

Interesting personal attack. Show me how you reads so good some mores!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

From the article

Holy crap!

Why can't people see that the problem isn't with what was suppressed it is with the fact that the government suppresses it to begin with?

When did the right to free speech and assembly get redefined to mean "only where the government says you are allowed to"?

Where does the government get off saying where I can say my peace and where I can't? If there is ANY place on Earth I should have unlimited free speech, it should be on the steps of a national monument.

I don't care what the police stopped the students from singing. What pisses me off is that they can limit the right to free speech at all on government property!

How can people possibly support these oppressive laws?

The right to protest means nothing if you're told where and when you are allowed to protest. Then they tell you to keep your voices down because you might disturb the tourists.

[edit on 8/12/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
AMEN to FortAnthem - before I got to their post I was going to bring up that same point...

WE SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO "APPLY" FOR A "PERMIT" FOR THE RIGHT TO PEACEABLY ASSEMBLE ON ANY PUBLIC PROPERTY!!!! PERIOD!!!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Holy crap!

Why can't people see that the problem isn't with what was suppressed it is with the fact that the government suppresses it to begin with?

I guess because they could have just moved and sang somewhere else?

When did the right to free speech and assembly get redefined to mean "only where the government says you are allowed to"?

Probably since before fire codes but I am no expert. You do know there are rules about gathering and speaking in all kinds of places, right?

Where does the government get off saying where I can say my peace and where I can't? If there is ANY place on Earth I should have unlimited free speech, it should be on the steps of a national monument.

You have every right to get a permit to demonstrate. No one is stopping you.

I don't care what the police stopped the students from singing. What pisses me off is that they can limit the right to free speech at all on government property!

Well, you said it it. Government property. Go get some friends and go sing inside the Pentagon if you feel you have that right.

How can people possibly support these oppressive laws?

I guess because knowing who these "students" were and what they do it is easy to surmise that they were looking for something to happen other than singing a song, together, spontaneously, at the same time. You do know that other than "Glee" groups of people do not all suddenly break out in the same song, right? If it was really just kids singing, I might see it differently.

The right to protest means nothing if you're told where and when you are allowed to protest. Then they tell you to keep your voices down because you might disturb the tourists.

So you admit they were protesting? Well, sometimes you need a permit for that.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Adevoc Satanae

I guess because they could have just moved and sang somewhere else?

Oh, yeah right, lets move across town where nobody can hear us.

Probably since before fire codes but I am no expert. You do know there are rules about gathering and speaking in all kinds of places, right?

Yeah, folks have to worry about burning up in a fire on a monument made entirely of MARBLE!

You have every right to get a permit to demonstrate. No one is stopping you.

There it is again. Are you saying I need government PERMISSION to exercise my God given rights?

That's what a permit is, isn't it, asking for permission?

Well, you said it it. Government property. Go get some friends and go sing inside the Pentagon if you feel you have that right.

They were on the front steps of a NATIONAL MONUMENT, not the war room at the Pentagon.

Nice use of Non Sequitur arguments though.

And finally, I don't care if they were protesting or just bursting out in spontaneous song inspired by the TV show Glee, they have the right to free speech, they should not have to go to the government to beg their permission to speak their minds.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

They were on the front steps of a NATIONAL MONUMENT, not the war room at the Pentagon.

Typical liberal response from Adevoc Satanae. The rules are for everyone else, but libs give themselves an exemption.

I wonder if "satan's advocate" would also think these groups would need a permit to sing at the Lincoln Memorial?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Wow? Even in the early thirtys the flag and anthem was bashed. I was under the assumption that this was a new thing.

Second line

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyMick
Wow? Even in the early thirtys the flag and anthem was bashed. I was under the assumption that this was a new thing.

Second line

I think with a little research you'll find that the "trash America from within" movement - including bashing the flag and anthem - started soon after the 1917 communist revolution in Russia. As you can see, it is still going strong and if the posters on ATS such as we've seen on this thread are any measure, gaining strength.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
This is crazy, this kind of changes my view on illegals and all that mess. I thought this whole flag bashing thing was to "not offend latin americans" but apparently not. What a crazy world we live in!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Oh, yeah right, lets move across town where nobody can hear us.

Dramatic much? Who said anything about going across town? You do realize their excuse was that they all just suddenly felt like singing, right? If the point was actually to be heard, then you cross the line to demonstrating don't you? Why do you need to be heard by anyone? What right does anyone have to be heard anywhere?

Yeah, folks have to worry about burning up in a fire on a monument made entirely of MARBLE!

I said before fire codes but I see passion has gotten in the way of reading comprehension here.

There it is again. Are you saying I need government PERMISSION to exercise my God given rights?

God given rights? What are you talking about? Where are these god given rights? Can I see a list? Can I talk to God if I see any missing?

Other than that, yes you need permission to demonstrate in many many many places in the US. If you do not like it, get a permit and demonstrate.

That's what a permit is, isn't it, asking for permission?

VERY GOOD!

I am not the one that said it was government property now was I? It is actually a national park, governed by the rules of national parks.

If you are going to claim you have the right to go sing on government property, I am going to point out you are wrong. Sorry if you do not like how that worked out for you.

And finally, I don't care if they were protesting or just bursting out in spontaneous song inspired by the TV show Glee, they have the right to free speech, they should not have to go to the government to beg their permission to speak their minds.

Mmhmm. They could have spoken all they liked. I see no story about anyone being stopped from talking here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join